How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

2 years ago I bought a Ford Factory Rebuilt tranny for my 2002. 16000 miles later, last week in fact, the tranny died. It is at the dealer now, probably the tranny will be replaced again. However this time it will be under the 3yr/100k mile warranty. I am a bit surprised that a factory rebuilt unit died so quickly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

150,000 but might have to replace idk if its worth it atm

131K at the moment. In the last 10K my OD light has been flashing and 5th gear bucks, but not all the time.

tranny just went out at 160000 but transmission guy said it had been gone thru before...$3100 to rebuild... Happened 700 miles after installing bigger tires..

148K, and I don't have any symptoms of a bad tranny.

My rear diff, on the other hand...

2002 early build explorer, been having transmission issues for 2 years, at 75,000, finally got a P0733 error, lost 2nd gear altogether and wouldn't go into 3rd, bands broken, servos broken, clutch plates...just went through an exhaustive rebuild (including a swap out torque converter) warranteed for 3 years and 50K miles for a whopping $2300 (out the door). This is one of the most expensive cars I have owned as it pertains to maintenance but I guess it still beats a new car. Now I need to fix the myriad of leaks (ex. Valve cover gaskets), air conditioning leaks. By the time I sell this car, my goal is to replace every part in this car, haha.

2002 XLT with 155K on original transmission with zero transmission problems.

Wheel bearings replaced at 110K, rear springs replaced at 140K (one broke). Knock on wood, but this has been a very reliable vehicle for me the last ten years.

04 XLT, 4.0 L v6 with 4X4. Trans flushed by dealer at 30,000 and 60,000. Went out at 68,000. Rebuilt now has 78,000. The local trans shop which did the repair would not tell me what brand of fluid they use, Why the big secret I don't know. So I may have it flushed and replaced with Amzoil ATF. The rear end went out at 58,000.

My '02 Ex XLT 4WD has 76K on her 5R55 with no problems (knocking on wood!).

03 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 150,000 miles O/D light started flashing on 3/26/13 and would not go away.

265k on mine, had a flush done at about 140k and one done at 250k the front seal started leaking put some lucas in it and replaced the lost fluid still running right, but I know it's just a band aid.

^^
wow, 265!!!
Thought my 175k was alot.....

170K on my 2003 XLS... Maybe once every 2-3 months I'll hear a clunk when shifting in or out of reverse.

The clutch packs were done at about 60K, and haven't touched it since. Every mechanic I've talked to (other than dealers) has said to leave the fluid alone since I don't drive it hard. I tow ATVs up north and back twice a year.

235 mobile 1 baby....and a sea dog pump

Not blown away

I recently ran into a seires of issues with my Explorer relating to a chugging or repeated lurching issue with the drive train. I assumed the tranny was going and after reading some of the transmission horror stories out there I bought a rebuild from a yunk yard and had it installed by a local tranny shop. The 5R55S that came out had 113K on it. It was not in good shape and had a "Fuzzy Magnet" and enough powder in the tranny fluid that it looked like a fero fluid.

I do love the useability of my 3rd row, 4-door, half truck, half limousine off road vehicle; but I am not impressed with the drive train in the least.

Especially since my tranny mechanic tied the other whining sound I mentioned to my slowly degrading rear end.

2004 XLS Limited at 102,x.. miles with original transmission. No major problems, drives well and smooth. I think i'm due for a transmission flush. I just had both differential oils replaced. Any other recommendations?

02 EB, 4.6L, 4x4, 148K miles...TC raising hell for seven months, 2-3 flaring and slipping. Replacing with reman ordered from Transmission Authority next week, $1600 for the tranny w/shipping and $700 for the swap. 3yr/unl. mile warranty, parts and labor.

edit: "The Transmission Authority" is a vendor on rockauto.com selling ETE Reman transmissions. ETE seems to have a good rep, solid warranty, and based on their website and videos I feel confident in their reman process. Transmission swap is tomorrow. :D

Thought I'd pipe up here and share my luck.

2004 EB Explorer, completely stock (not for long).

Currently at 218k. Never had a single problem with the tranny, engine or anything else with the truck. Just started to get the whine from the rear diff at 90-105kph. Will be going into the shop next week to have it repaired. This has been my most reliable vehicle to date. I'm either lucky or blessed I guess. Regular tranny fluid change and oil services has kept this baby running.

Will be lifting her shortly and adding some nice big tires.

2004 XLT 4X4 Explorer 4.0

I have 199.790 miles on my tranny and have never had the fluid replaced or filter changed. It might go out tomorrow but I can't complain if it does. I do not know why everyone is having so many problems unless it is because they change their fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

289k on original tranny

just hit 289k on the original tranny.

Back