Could I tow this Sportsmen Classic Hybrid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could I tow this Sportsmen Classic Hybrid

Thinking about buying one of these hybrid campers.

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen-classic/16RBT.html

I have a 2006 XLT 4.0 with the towing package. Between people and gear we would be <1000 lbs riding along. When does height of the trailer come in to play with ease of towing? If I could tow this, what towing accessories would I want/need?

If it matters, we would be towing 99% of the time in Michigan.

Thanks

You'd need to know your axle code to know your towing capacity, the dry weight of the trailer, and estimate of what you intend to put in it. ( double estimate if a woman is involved) Then look at the book, they have a chart or something that accounts for frontal area of tall / wide trailers.

If you do get it, you'll need a trailer brake controller, possibly a weight distribution hitch, not so much because of the weight of the trailer, but it will really help with sway.

Assuming you don't have the Class 3 towing package, you only have 3500 lbs MAX tow rating. Anything weight that you put in the Explorer (beyond 150 lbs driver) must be subtracted from that MAX rating. Since the trailer's GVWR is only 2800 lbs, you can put 700 lbs of people and stuff in the truck (plus the 150 lbs driver). Weight wise, I'm thinking you should be OK, but you will be right up against your limits. Do not take this combo into the Smokies. If you have the Class 3 towing package, all the better.

As someone else said, you will need an electric brake controller. WDH only necessary if you exceed 350 lbs tongue weight. Loaded at 12% TW is still only 336lbs. Should not be a problem. If concerned about sway, a simple friction sway controller can be added for about $50.

Assuming you don't have the Class 3 towing package, you only have 3500 lbs MAX tow rating. Anything weight that you put in the Explorer (beyond 150 lbs driver) must be subtracted from that MAX rating. Since the trailer's GVWR is only 2800 lbs, you can put 700 lbs of people and stuff in the truck (plus the 150 lbs driver). Weight wise, I'm thinking you should be OK, but you will be right up against your limits. Do not take this combo into the Smokies. If you have the Class 3 towing package, all the better.

As someone else said, you will need an electric brake controller. WDH only necessary if you exceed 350 lbs tongue weight. Loaded at 12% TW is still only 336lbs. Should not be a problem. If concerned about sway, a simple friction sway controller can be added for about $50.

I do have the Class 3 towing package. And I don't plan on venturing more than 1 state away from Michigan. No Smokies towing in my immediate future!

My wife isn't a fan of the hybrid so I am looking at a different trailer. Would the following be too much trailer to tow? Thanks

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen-classic/19BH.html

With 3500 lbs GVWR, you should be comfortably within all ratings.
The wind-resistance will be a bigger factor than the weight. Try to keep your speed down. Trying to move at 65-70mph will be difficult to maintain comfortably with the V6 powertrain. But again, should be well within limits.

Back