Lowering the Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

bstollmaier, is that a do it yourself type install or did you have it done by a shop ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was a DIY job although I guess it depends on your mechanical aptitude. Jack stands, wrenches and a spring compressor from a friend but you can rent them from your local auto shop. I wish I could upload pics but every time I try to make an album it says I don't have privileges. I can email pics if you want.

Here are pics of mine. Not to steal the thread but it's been dead for awhile.
I have 22" Giovanna Kilis black wheels on order.

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

Looks good! A little two low for me but nice all the same. Do you have some measurements? How much lower is it. I would like to figure out a way to just drop the back about an inch.

Thanks. I know it's not for everyone. I wish I had measurements but I didn't think of it until I was halfway done.

No worries :). If you get a chance I would love to know the fender to ground measurement. Trying to figure out how to level the rear by bringing it down an inch.

I'd like to see a sport lowered.

Bstollmaier, that looks freaking nice. Like you said, not everyone's cup of tea, but I'll drink that tea any day! I'm guessing that's a 2" drop?

Thanks.
Here's the front.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/bstollmaier/Explorer/IMG_4302.jpg

And the back
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/bstollmaier/Explorer/IMG_4301.jpg

The back wheel is set in quite a bit so it was hard to really read a measurement but you can get an idea from the photos. The Giovanna wheels I ordered have a 38mm offset vs the stock 45mm offset so that should take care of some. I might end up getting some spacers if I feel it needs more, which it probably will. I hate how deep the fender lip is. It's about 1 1/2". I might try to heat it and bend it upward a little to give some clearance just incase.

Fender to ground front and back are 30 5/8"

Bstollmaier ,lt looks good, crazy I just picked up a set of killis from a guy the next town over from me who ordered them for an edge that he was buying but the deal fell through so he was stuck with the wheels ...
what size tires are you going with? I was thinking 285/40r22, the only ones I found that I like so far are toyo proxies and falken ziex tz04s

I think im gonna do the lowering kit, gonna check out harbor freight for the spring compressors

ill post pics up too, my truck is white

I ordered the 265/40/22 nitto 420s. Didn't want to go any wider due to the tire hanging over the rim. If the wheel had been a 9.5 instead of 9 width I would have gone that wide. What color rims are you doing? I used the HF compressors and they worked well. I thought they would be too small but they were perfect. Any larger and I don't think I could have gotten them on the rear springs. Can't wait to see your pics.

Perfect stance Imo. What running boards you got on there?

Aries oval running boards.

This is nice..how is the ride? And how much was the springs?

The ride is good. Perhaps just slightly more stiff. I paid $243 I think.

Did you do any cutting or just installed the H and R springs out from the box?

Out of the box. They were a direct fit.

What I really like about it is that it levels it out. Can't stand the rake the explorer has.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks Great!

Did you have to remove the wheel hub from the axle? Or were you able to just remove the strut assembly while leaving the wheel hub in place? Thanks

Back