• Register Today It's free!

Adaptive Cruise Control

tazcubed

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I like adaptive cruise control, but wonder whether there will be any updates to how it works? The problem is that it unnervingly cuts out at less than 20kph (12mph) or somewhere around that speed. Most systems coming out these days include a "stop-and-go" feature, but Ford's does not. Any chance it might be made retro onto existing vehicles? I saw something about a self-driving feature coming out around 2015 putting Ford a full model year behind some competitors (Subaru, Mazda, etc) who already have these integrated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any future systems of Adaptive Cruise will not be able to be retrofitted to current systems due to different methods used to detect other vehicles. The system is not intended to be used in heavy traffic anyway so I'm not sure why you would want it to work below it's 16MPH threshold.

I like adaptive cruise control, but wonder whether there will be any updates to how it works? The problem is that it unnervingly cuts out at less than 20kph (12mph) or somewhere around that speed. Most systems coming out these days include a "stop-and-go" feature, but Ford's does not. Any chance it might be made retro onto existing vehicles? I saw something about a self-driving feature coming out around 2015 putting Ford a full model year behind some competitors (Subaru, Mazda, etc) who already have these integrated.
I think Toyota is still trying to catch up. They always seem to be about 3 years or more behind in some of the newer technology. That is one reason I jumped to the Explorer. I don't know if I'm a fan of some of these so called 'self driving' features. I'm afraid it will lead to even more drivers paying less attention to what they are doing. I enjoy driving the vehicle and ultimately being responsible for the operation of it. Many of the new electronic features are very nice to have, but I prefer to have them leave the driving to me.

Peter

Hi tazcubed,

You can submit your thoughts on features you'd like to see in future models on the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Once submitted, share the link with your friends and family so they can vote on it. We review ideas daily.

Thanks!

Crystal

What's strange to me is that I find it scary that it will brake and then let you go, at 12mph... It would be safest to brig you to a complete stop. But like Peter has said, it's best to just make sure you are in control of your vehicle and try not to worry about the fact that it does not practically drive itself.

I think I have mentioned before in another thread, it's odd that ford and volvo were a team but fords technology seems a bit behind. I mean our '11 MDX had 3 steps of warnings when sensing a forward collision, the ford only has one and that would be the chime and pre charged brakes. I was surprised that really it didnt do anything more than just make sounds...

I'm always alert and have control of my vehicle, I'm just a very tech-interested person. Loved the tech of the JX35 but hated the look of it.

Any future systems of Adaptive Cruise will not be able to be retrofitted to current systems due to different methods used to detect other vehicles. The system is not intended to be used in heavy traffic anyway so I'm not sure why you would want it to work below it's 16MPH threshold.

As Converted_21 suggests that it's safer in the end that the vehicle come to a complete stop if all else fails than to disengage. Yes, it's a mixed bag - there's enough issues over distracted driving, but if it's thought-through and designed thoroughly it should also act as a safety net.

As Converted_21 suggests that it's safer in the end that the vehicle come to a complete stop if all else fails than to disengage. Yes, it's a mixed bag - there's enough issues over distracted driving, but if it's thought-through and designed thoroughly it should also act as a safety net.

Exactly!

I was just a little disappointed to see the system wasn't as intuitive as several others. But I guess for a domestic it's nearly a first. The GM (Acadia, Traverse and Enclave) just barely got bliss so at least we have smart keys and adaptive cruise lol I just keep comparing it to a Volvo and Acura that I was use to.

I think it would be more dangerous if it brought the car to a complete stop. At 12MPH if you are stupid enough to not take control of the vehicle you should not be driving. At 12MPH you have the best of both worlds. 1. If you are dumb enough to not stop the car yourself, you will certainly walk away from the accident with no injuries and minimal damage to the car. 2. At 12 MPH you have plenty of time to react because with adaptive cruise control you set the distance from the car infront of you. When your car hits 12MPH, their should be plenty of distance between you and the person in front to decide what to do.

I think it would be more dangerous if it brought the car to a complete stop. At 12MPH if you are stupid enough to not take control of the vehicle you should not be driving. At 12MPH you have the best of both worlds. 1. If you are dumb enough to not stop the car yourself, you will certainly walk away from the accident with no injuries and minimal damage to the car. 2. At 12 MPH you have plenty of time to react because with adaptive cruise control you set the distance from the car infront of you. When your car hits 12MPH, their should be plenty of distance between you and the person in front to decide what to do.

That's another thing, through all your dumb enoughs and stupid enoughs, it reminded me that you really don't need it to come to a complete stop because it doesn't apply brakes in emergency situations. I was thinking about in an instant situation where in other vehicles, the car would slam the brakes for you. But I guess if you're just slowing down, slowly, sure, no reason you can't take the brakes after 12mph. Stupid enough eh?

the Audi's, etc... we had before didn't have it and so we thought we didn't need it...

but thinking about it now, it would be a nice feature to have for those rare situations where you've taken yours eyes off the road and the traffic stopped... like this weekend :)

and as far as it letting go at 12 mph - wouldn't the surprise braking have gotten your attention so that you WOULD look up and take over ? I think it would for me and I don't consider myself dumb or stupid or smart for that matter :)
(but I did score above average teehee)

BMW, Mercedes both have stop-and-go, Volvo has City-Safe, Infiniti has something similar to Volvo, and I believe Subaru fits in there as well. Ford I think can come up to the plate - unless ramming other cars is on someone's agenda, I guess. No, there's no excuse for distracted driving nor not being attentive and in control, but there's other cases such as a heart attack or sudden states of unconsciousness where it would be more of a help than a hindrance.

You know that someone will buy this having the expectation the system will retain integrity no matter what, but when other manufacturers have more full-functioning systems just wait until they drive a Ford with this system for the first time.

I read an article somewhere that Ford is indeed working on a system for stop-and-go traffic. However, I can guarantee you 100% they won't retroactively offer it on older models...it will only be on the model year they debut it on

Back