What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer?

Nice CC spitfisher!

After a few more tows for me i am very impressed how the EX handles my boat. That was my only concern before buying the EX but i couldn't be more satisfied!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spitfisher,

What does your boat weight? How well does it tow?

Good question, actually i have estimated the trailer to be about 900 lbs, the hull stripped clean is 1600, add the engine 500 lbs, add the tee top, electronics box and misc other hardware add another 250 libs, next add misc stuff like fishing gear, coolers, padding and a 60 gallon tank ( yes 60 gallons!) and another 500 lbs for good measure.

So somewhere between 3500-3700. Should be dead on but likely less.

We sometimes can have 7-10 foot tide swings here in Maine, so you can imagine how steep the ramps can be. That being said I have never had any problem, no matter how steep or how wet the ramps are. i have never had to use the traction dial on the console, just put it in drive and slow steady pressure on the gas does it.

Towing on the road has been fine, a bit slow out of the gate, so I just stay patient when driving and plan ahead. I almost always trailer at off peak hours if I am heading to the Cape Cod < ( about 150 miles away) most of my trailering is local, within 5 miles on nice smooth roads, so traffic is nothing.

BTW fishing has been good.

Good question, actually i have estimated the trailer to be about 900 lbs, the hull stripped clean is 1600, add the engine 500 lbs, add the tee top, electronics box and misc other hardware add another 250 libs, next add misc stuff like fishing gear, coolers, padding and a 60 gallon tank ( yes 60 gallons!) and another 500 lbs for good measure.

So somewhere between 3500-3700. Should be dead on but likely less.

We sometimes can have 7-10 foot tide swings here in Maine, so you can imagine how steep the ramps can be. That being said I have never had any problem, no matter how steep or how wet the ramps are. i have never had to use the traction dial on the console, just put it in drive and slow steady pressure on the gas does it.

Towing on the road has been fine, a bit slow out of the gate, so I just stay patient when driving and plan ahead. I almost always trailer at off peak hours if I am heading to the Cape Cod < ( about 150 miles away) most of my trailering is local, within 5 miles on nice smooth roads, so traffic is nothing.

BTW fishing has been good.

Sounds like the EX does just fine towing. I was just curious because I have a 19' Aluminum boat that weighs in at 4450 total including all gear, trailer, etc. Do you use a weight distribution hitch?

I am glad fishing is good for you. We are getting ready to start steelhead fishing on the Columbia River near Hood River in August. It should be good as well.

I will post picks of my setup when I can.

No, I do not care to use a weight distribution hitch, nor would I see any gain by it. The X really doesn't sag at all, I do use a 3 inch rise hitch that I have turned up with a 2 inch ball. I am a pretty easy going driver, I am not an aggressive driver, I have had my ex for 15k now and I don't recall really stepping on the gas once. The unibody frame works fine for the load. i also have experince with a simular frame on the honda ridgeline that I drove for 4 years....towing the same boat.

We tow a Trailex car trailer with a Porsche on it in our 2013 XLT.

557165_4147910106393_287132273_n.jpg

We LOVE IT!

Nice Porsche! Just returned from Mendincino Coast, with our Ex, and travel trailer, great time, no issues towing, a little under powered in the mountains, but the computer is learning over a longer trip, I managed to get 11.9 mpgoing there and coming back we got 12.5 mpg. Has anyone who tows a travel trailer thought of a spoiler on top of the Ex's roof rack, any. Thought?

Just picked up our new Hurricane 201 yesterday. First time towing with the Ex, did pretty good.

484040_435078629876054_2136174497_n.jpg

165889_2163882232227_275058166_n.jpg

So far, just my Jet ski. The mileage drops a little but it's better than my 02 Ranger with the 4.0.

A GREAT day at work today!!! Used Major Tom to pull this bird outta the water!

253924_2342287332243_182702950_n.jpg

-Kevin

Akmech. Nice bird, miss the flying, should get back into it.

looking forward to towing two quads (one for me, one for my fiancee) soon!

Finally got it all hooked up. Tows very well.

Attachments

• EXP 002.jpg
    EXP 002.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,901

Finally got it all hooked up. Tows very well.

Does anyone know if a Weight Distribution Hitch can be installed on a boat trailer like this one?

my sport at bike week '13 in Daytona Beach.

a1b96cf99911cf1d1d6245a042afd42f.jpg

I am considering the Sport and having the towing package.. I have a 20' dovetail dunlap trailer (car hauler) and at times I pull my C5 ZO6 Corvette. Car is around 3300, trailer is around ~1800-2K.. Our Yukon Denali pulls it w/o an issue, I also have a Reg Cab Hemi ram and it will pull it ok, but not as well as the heavier and longer Denali does..

Anyone see an issue with towing with the Sport around that weight? Truck could always be a back up, but having a vehicle with 4 doors is handy when going to the track..

Thanks,

I am considering the Sport and having the towing package.. I have a 20' dovetail dunlap trailer (car hauler) and at times I pull my C5 ZO6 Corvette. Car is around 3300, trailer is around ~1800-2K.. Our Yukon Denali pulls it w/o an issue, I also have a Reg Cab Hemi ram and it will pull it ok, but not as well as the heavier and longer Denali does..

Anyone see an issue with towing with the Sport around that weight? Truck could always be a back up, but having a vehicle with 4 doors is handy when going to the track..

Thanks,

I don't think towing it ie getting it moving will be a problem. At 5,200 - 5300 lbs you are over the max of 5,000 lbs. Emergency stopping would be my concern. I wouldn't pull up and down mountains very far. Dou you have trailer brakes? That may help a little.
I've always read when picking a towing vehicle you want to tow no more than 75 % of the max capacity. Just a rule of thimb I've always followed.

Tow safe!

Eddie

I don't think towing it ie getting it moving will be a problem. At 5,200 - 5300 lbs you are over the max of 5,000 lbs. Emergency stopping would be my concern. I wouldn't pull up and down mountains very far. Dou you have trailer brakes? That may help a little.
I've always read when picking a towing vehicle you want to tow no more than 75 % of the max capacity. Just a rule of thimb I've always followed.

Tow safe!

Eddie

Thanks, Eddie. Yes, the trailer has twin axle's with trailer brakes.. I know I would be pushing the limits, but I might pull it 1-2 times per year. So, I was just thinking out loud. We also went and looked at the new Durango and it has around a 7-7500lb capacity, but I just like the looks of the sport better..Now, If I was towing all the time id just trade my 1/2 ton ram for a 3/4, etc.. But I don't need that for now..

-T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, quick question for you...My Explorer Sport will arrive on May 20th and I will use it with a 4,500lbs trailer with electric brake. Do the Explorer support electric brake or not? Do I have to buy a brake controller? If yes, is it pre-wired?

Thanks in advance

Back