• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning Problem

BDShort

Reaction score
City, State
Archdale, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
My moms 98 explorer v6 SOHC sport ac vents in the front went out. The rear ones and the defrost work fine. I figured maybe it'd be the blower motor so I replaced it and they're still not blowing. I read some article about taking out the glove box and looking in to find some broken plastic piece, but what exactly am I looking for? When I stick my head in, I'm laying down facing the sky, would the metal part that open and closes the vents be on my left? Not sure what I need to do, any help woul be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the same problem I had. Only the defrost and the rear controls blew out any thing. My problem ended up being a broken vacuum line. There is a vacuum line that sends vacuum to the climate control. If it is broken then you have nothing but defrost and rear blower. The line comes from the motor then goes to a vacuum ball that is mounted in the passenger side inner fender well. It goes form there to the climate control unit. I think I would start there.

What's the best way to check it out? Preferably the method with least removal.

Pull the fender liner, its all right there.

Just make sure the lines are all connected? Everything's good under the glove box, red, white, black, etc etc wires are all connected. I did feel the vacuum ball though, but I didn't check anything.

Yes, you will have two going into the ball, and one for the heater bypass valve, and then some heading towards the firewall.

Look for pinholes in those lines too...I had one that had tiny holes, and others broken or burned.

Ill get to it sometime tomorrow maybe, changing the o2 sensors on my grandpaps truck. Im the family mechanic haha

Back