intermittent power steering/ general lift questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

intermittent power steering/ general lift questions

Caleb33

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
Hello all I have a few questions about my power steering, and then some about the lift kits discussed. I spent a few minutes searching around to try and make sure that I am not repeating questions, however if you find them asked already please link them to me an accept my apologies in advance.

I have only had my X (2002 xlt 2wd) for about 8 months now (bought if from my old man who was original owner) and it was babied before me so it did not see anything but tarmac till I got my hands on it. I have only had it stuck once, partly because I am a bit cautious and partly because for a 2wd vehicle this thing can sling some mud. After both times being stuck (one 6 months ago one today) the power steering has gone out. After the first time I changed the fluid, and it stayed "broken" then one day BAM its back. After today's situation I was wondering if I can prevent this, or if I can speed up the "cool-down" time that it seems to need (a few months apparently).

My lift questions are as follows:

Does anyone have both the "$50 1.5 inch body lift" and the BTF 3 inch?

...and if so did you have to do anything to the steering?

my X no longer has link arms, the guy who works on it for me said "they just help a bit with anti roll and with as often as you mud you will just snap them again soon so don't replace them" thoughts on this? would the be necessary once lifted?

Thanks in advance everyone I know this is a lot and once again I apologize if these questions have been posed and I didn't see.

--Caleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE

Took it to the shop, power steering fluid, pump and radiator were all fine as well as rack and pinion. At this point any ideas are welcome.....I'm stumped

I mean idk if this helps but I have a 2.5 inch lift with the rancho quicklift and everything works fine but my tires do a rub a bit :/

Regarding the lift and steering:

- 3" Body Lifts require a steering column extension that comes with the PA-883 Kit

- 1.5" '$50' Body Lift does not require any steering column extension

- BTF Suspension Lift (or similar) does not require any steering modification

Regarding the lift and steering:

- 3" Body Lifts require a steering column extension that comes with the PA-883 Kit

- 1.5" '$50' Body Lift does not require any steering column extension

- BTF Suspension Lift (or similar) does not require any steering modification

I knew that the btf lifts and the $50 lift both separately did not require the extensions, but I was wondering if you combine those things if you do need extensions.

Together, I can't see them having any effect. If the suspension lift doesn't modify the steering, then neither should a suspension lift and the 1.5" body lift.

If you want to see a pic of a truck with a 1.5" body lift and a BTF 2.25"/1.75" combo, search for pics posted by a user named Kazer. Also, that combination of BTF spacers will yield approximate 3" of front lift and 2.5" of rear lift...which is the absolute max you should go, and it's not really ideal for a good quality ride. You'll actually end up losing suspension downtravel with anything other than a very mild BTF lift, as the resulting change in suspension geometry with the larger spacers leads to the front spindles hitting the springs which halts further downtravel. With the rear, the axle shafts will hit the frame at some point during droop and the suspension will not be able to droop any further. Only upside with the bigger spacers IMO is increasing the clearance between the frame and the ground. Before my last truck got wrecked, I settled on 1.25" front and 1" rear spacers combined with a 3" body lift and I found that was a good compromise.

Agree with Mr. Dubya, any kind of suspension lift has no impact on the steering shaft, since the steering box is fixed to the frame. The only part that moves up and down with the suspension are the tie rods, and those have plenty of flex so there won't be any issues with a suspension lift.

I took a look at your rig and at kazers rig and I think yours is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I usually I only stuck if my body scrapes or hits a stump and provide that much more work for the x. It is more important to me that the ride on the road is still bearable because I do daily my x to work around 50 miles round trip. How is the ride on yours and did gas mileage get much worse?

I took a look at your rig and at kazers rig and I think yours is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I usually I only stuck if my body scrapes or hits a stump and provide that much more work for the x. It is more important to me that the ride on the road is still bearable because I do daily my x to work around 50 miles round trip. How is the ride on yours and did gas mileage get much worse?

The ride on my 2004 was pretty good with the 1.25"/1" spacers and 3" body lift. Gas mileage was OK...regearing the differentials helped with the 32" tires. Really what brought the mileage down was the mud terrain tires causing extra rolling resistance.

Current truck (2008) rides really nice. Just a 1" body lift, fox coilovers up front and 1.5" spacers on the rear struts. P-rated all terrain tires. Gas mileage is better than my last truck, and it's a v8. On the highway I see about 19-20 mpg. Last truck I would get 18-19 mpg.

Here's the info on my 2004: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322335&highlight=ronin's+rig

It is more important to me that the ride on the road is still bearable because I do daily my x to work around 50 miles round trip. How is the ride on yours...?

Have you ever rode in a shopping cart in a crappy parking lot?

How is the ride on yours and did gas mileage get much worse?

I know his isn't directed at me, but since I'm on the higher end of the practical lift spectrum, I'll chime in.

Ride Quality (check the sig for specs) is actually excellent. That may be thanks to new front struts and new tires, but regardless I think mine as high as it is rides like a dream, even with the limited flex.

MPG: Horrendous. Expect significant drop in fuel economy, regardless of how big you push the tires and lift. However I'm okay with it, so I wouldn't let that be the bargaining factor (unless it's used to commute far away, daily).

-Dubya

I had seen those pics before and that is the exact look I was going for. Glad to put a finger in who did it. Looks great.
The ride on my 2004 was pretty good with the 1.25"/1" spacers and 3" body lift. Gas mileage was OK...regearing the differentials helped with the 32" tires. Really what brought the mileage down was the mud terrain tires causing extra rolling resistance.

Current truck (2008) rides really nice. Just a 1" body lift, fox coilovers up front and 1.5" spacers on the rear struts. P-rated all terrain tires. Gas mileage is better than my last truck, and it's a v8. On the highway I see about 19-20 mpg. Last truck I would get 18-19 mpg.

Here's the info on my 2004: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322335&highlight=ronin's+rig

I know his isn't directed at me, but since I'm on the higher end of the practical lift spectrum, I'll chime in.

Ride Quality (check the sig for specs) is actually excellent. That may be thanks to new front struts and new tires, but regardless I think mine as high as it is rides like a dream, even with the limited flex.

MPG: Horrendous. Expect significant drop in fuel economy, regardless of how big you push the tires and lift. However I'm okay with it, so I wouldn't let that be the bargaining factor (unless it's used to commute far away, daily).

-Dubya

That's my issue..... Work is a 50 mile round trip and I already only get 15 mpg

Back