Final Hours before i make the decision - Need clarification on a few things | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Final Hours before i make the decision - Need clarification on a few things

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
Hi all,

About to close the deal on either a limited or sport tonight. I have a few questions before i do this.

- What is the max capability of the USB? I have a few 64gb sticks which i would like to put some music on. Will it work?

- Can the iphone 5 interface with the stereo seemlessly? Other than bluetooth connection?

- I have a 120gb ipod, can the stereo handle this without issues?

- Is there any additional micro sd slots other than the one for the navi?

Background:
I am currently running a Pioneer Navi in my Chevy Trailblazer and it can handle SD as well as the iphone 5 with the new adapter and ipods with no problems. I just dont want to spend a ton of money and not have all my music (ALOT) at my disposal. Sure i can consolidate all onto the ipod etc. Just wanna know my options ahead of time.

I've seen some complaints about the sound system. Objectively, is it good enough for a regular person? Customizable equalizers etc.

Will post more questions soon.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestion would be to take your ipod, iphone, and a 64g USB stick loaded with music, into the dealer and plug them into one of the vehicles with MFT and fully test everything that concerns you. Don't rely on the salesman or someone blowing smoke that "sure it will work". Test it yourself and make sure you are happy with the functionality.

The vehicle only has one SD slot, and if you have NAV, it will be used for that and nothing else. There are also two USB ports. You can use one for a USB stick and one for your iphone if you wish to connect it directly using the USB cable.

I definately plan on doing that. Just thought id get some feedback on experiences as well as opinions.

Hi all,

About to close the deal on either a limited or sport tonight. I have a few questions before i do this.

- What is the max capability of the USB? I have a few 64gb sticks which i would like to put some music on. Will it work?

- Can the iphone 5 interface with the stereo seemlessly? Other than bluetooth connection?

Background:
I am currently running a Pioneer Navi in my Chevy Trailblazer and it can handle SD as well as the iphone 5 with the new adapter and ipods with no problems. I just dont want to spend a ton of money and not have all my music (ALOT) at my disposal. Sure i can consolidate all onto the ipod etc. Just wanna know my options ahead of time.

I've seen some complaints about the sound system. Objectively, is it good enough for a regular person? Customizable equalizers etc.

Thanks

Certain things don't work with the iPhone 5 - I know there's a list out there which Ford posts about compatibility. Messaging doesn't work at all, bluetooth music doesn't seem to be fully integrated - can only pull up current/next/previous song (no indexes). That said, I've not tried deleting/resyncing my phone. Better to use the USB cable. I'm unsure if the Ex is using Bluetooth 3+ or 4...

No idea about USB read capacity, but suspect it'll top out at 64GB - as someone else said, trial it out with the iPod and USB memory stick prior to purchase.

There's only 1 SD slot.

Sound system is fine - only complaint is that it goes from soft to loud without much of a gradient.

Certain things don't work with the iPhone 5 - I know there's a list out there which Ford posts about compatibility. Messaging doesn't work at all, bluetooth music doesn't seem to be fully integrated - can only pull up current/next/previous song (no indexes). That said, I've not tried deleting/resyncing my phone. Better to use the USB cable. I'm unsure if the Ex is using Bluetooth 3+ or 4...

No idea about USB read capacity, but suspect it'll top out at 64GB - as someone else said, trial it out with the iPod and USB memory stick prior to purchase.

There's only 1 SD slot.

Sound system is fine - only complaint is that it goes from soft to loud without much of a gradient.

My messaging works perfectly fine with my iPhone 5?

Hi all,

Background:

Thanks

I have a 120GB iPod Classic and it works great. I don't believe there is a max for memory sticks. A friend of mine is using a 500GB external hard drive without any issues.

As for the iPhone 5, mine works great. You can view text messages through Sync. Tazcubed is incorrect about messaging not working on the iPhone 5. It does. You can also use Siri through the Explorer speakers and microphone. Certain apps like TuneIn radio work well listening via bluetooth with the iPhone.

There isn't much of an equalizer on the Explorer. You can change the bass and trebble. There are also several sound modes such as surround. For me personally, I'm happy with the sound system for it just being stock.

Just have low expectations, and count on the fact that things won't work as designed or advertised, and then you won't be disappointed.

I have a 120GB iPod Classic and it works great. I don't believe there is a max for memory sticks. A friend of mine is using a 500GB external hard drive without any issues.

As for the iPhone 5, mine works great. You can view text messages through Sync. Tazcubed is incorrect about messaging not working on the iPhone 5. It does. You can also use Siri through the Explorer speakers and microphone. Certain apps like TuneIn radio work well listening via bluetooth with the iPhone.

There isn't much of an equalizer on the Explorer. You can change the bass and trebble. There are also several sound modes such as surround. For me personally, I'm happy with the sound system for it just being stock.

Well, for me, I've tried re-establishing the BT connection, have the latest updates applied to both the iPhone and MFT and can't get it to work. According to Ford's webpage of compatible phones and functionality with MFT the iPhone currently has limitations as is certified by Ford. Items such as messaging and BT streaming isn't checked off. That said, I understand that things are in flux (or the list may not be up to date), and that it can also potentially depend on the wireless carrier. For those that do manage to get it to work - congrats! For me, right now it's frustration.

Well, for me, I've tried re-establishing the BT connection, have the latest updates applied to both the iPhone and MFT and can't get it to work. According to Ford's webpage of compatible phones and functionality with MFT the iPhone currently has limitations as is certified by Ford. Items such as messaging and BT streaming isn't checked off. That said, I understand that things are in flux (or the list may not be up to date), and that it can also potentially depend on the wireless carrier. For those that do manage to get it to work - congrats! For me, right now it's frustration.

That is really weird... To be honest, when I was like ok I'll see if it works and it did I was blown away! I've owned very many new cars in the past few years and reading texts has never worked no matter what car and at times I've tried on different phones. I guess it was luck of the draw.

Hi all,

Background:

Thanks

Hi, roamingphantom!

Here's the link where you can check out what features the iPhone works with:

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

I do agree with cnsheets about taking your devices to the dealership so you can test everything before hand. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rebecca

Well, for me, I've tried re-establishing the BT connection, have the latest updates applied to both the iPhone and MFT and can't get it to work.

Make sure that on the iPhone, you go under the bluetooth settings for the Sync profile and turn on "Allow notifications"

This is not usually on by default.

This will allow you to receive messages through MFT, however you still will not be able to send them through MFT.

After I installed the last MFT update, text messages weren't working and I didn't have the option in the bluetooth settings on the iPhone to turn on notifications. After doing some research I found a fix on Apple's website that worked for me. Give this a try.

Delete your phone from MFT and power down your iPhone. Turn your iPhone back on. After it's on, make sure you turn off Wifi on your phone. After you turn off Wifi, re-pair your iPhone with MFT. After your phone has been paired, go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and select SYNC. Under the settings make sure show notifications is turned on. I believe its off by default. That should work.

I tried everything before I found that fix and nothing worked. I didn't have the option to turn on notifications under the bluetooth settings and under the MFT settings, it always said my phone was not compatible with messages. For some reason, the key is having Wifi turned off when you are pairing your phone. I had the same issue with MFT in my Focus ST. After I tried the fix I mentioned above, text messages finally started working again.

I hope this fix works for you.

And that's what fixed the messaging on my wife's HTC Thunderbolt too...

the salesmen said it wouldn't work with her phone, but unpairing and turning notifications on worked for hers....

(And I finally got to drive the sport for the first time tonight when we went out for dinner...
thus far both she and I like it better than the 2011 Audi Q5 Premium Plus !!!)

It's bigger, faster, taller, wider, sexier, and gets about the same mpg as her turbo 2.0 liter... AND doesn't require premium !!!!

After I installed the last MFT update, text messages weren't working and I didn't have the option in the bluetooth settings on the iPhone to turn on notifications. After doing some research I found a fix on Apple's website that worked for me. Give this a try.

Delete your phone from MFT and power down your iPhone. Turn your iPhone back on. After it's on, make sure you turn off Wifi on your phone. After you turn off Wifi, re-pair your iPhone with MFT. After your phone has been paired, go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and select SYNC. Under the settings make sure show notifications is turned on. I believe its off by default. That should work.

I tried everything before I found that fix and nothing worked. I didn't have the option to turn on notifications under the bluetooth settings and under the MFT settings, it always said my phone was not compatible with messages. For some reason, the key is having Wifi turned off when you are pairing your phone. I had the same issue with MFT in my Focus ST. After I tried the fix I mentioned above, text messages finally started working again.

I hope this fix works for you.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've not had time to give it a try, but will attempt on Monday, time permitting.

If you are heavy into the tech thing, you may be disappointed ! You need to go into any purchase aware of the MFT limitations............Be sure you have read this entire forum......best regards Plum

That is really weird... To be honest, when I was like ok I'll see if it works and it did I was blown away! I've owned very many new cars in the past few years and reading texts has never worked no matter what car and at times I've tried on different phones. I guess it was luck of the draw.

Just tried this (WiFI off on phone, forgot device, deleted on MFT, car off, hard booted phone, car on, paired again) and still nothing.

Will attempt again, but I despise this friggen MFT pos :fire::hammer:

Just tried this (WiFI off on phone, forgot device, deleted on MFT, car off, hard booted phone, car on, paired again) and still nothing.

Since my post my phone, nor my wife's iPhone 5, will no longer pair with MFT :(

That's a bummer it's not working. The only other suggestion I have for both of you is to do a master reset of MFT and repeat the steps to re pair your phones. It really doesn't make sense to me. Ever since I finally got text messages working, my iPhone 5 has not had a single issue with MFT.

Do you both have the latest MFT update with the new A4 Navigation card?

Is your phone not pairing or is it just text messages not working? Do you have the option under your iPHone's bluetooth settings to turn notifications on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you both have the latest MFT update with the new A4 Navigation card?

I'm not sure about mine, that's why I'm not ranting and raving too bad... We have been trying to move into our new house but problems keep arising, all of our stuff is packed so I haven't taken the time to check the update and find my flash drive.

Back