Water Leak | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Same here, it took me buying a soaker hose to fine the leak. I put the soaker hose on top of the vehicle. Once I saw that it was leaking down the third row seat belt, I "mapped" out my roof into section to help pinpoint where the leak is coming from. It didn't take long as I expected that it was leaking from the roof rail and or lift gate hinges. I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed ever since! crossing my fingers and hope to never by a ford again
It's really amazing the amount of effort WE put into getting these issues resolved. Might as well have bought a clunker instead of a new vehicle ...... At least we could have expected to deal with such issues! :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here, it took me buying a soaker hose to fine the leak. I put the soaker hose on top of the vehicle. Once I saw that it was leaking down the third row seat belt, I "mapped" out my roof into section to help pinpoint where the leak is coming from. It didn't take long as I expected that it was leaking from the roof rail and or lift gate hinges. I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed ever since! crossing my fingers and hope to never by a ford again

With prices where they are at and your gramer, surprised you could "by" a new one:)

Hi everyone!

This is just a reminder that I'm here to help. If you're currently experiencing a water leak, please send me a PM with your details (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) so I can look into options to assist.

Thanks,

Crystal

With prices where they are at and your gramer, surprised you could "by" a new one:)

Ted, your spelling is spot on:) or maybe your phone misspelled the word "gramer" for you:)

PM sent to FordCustSrvc

It rained hard last night and upon opening my rear hatch in the morning after the rain had passed, I noticed a puddle of water on my weather tech cargo liner.

In addition the seat belt cloth was extremely wet.

Went to dealer and they said they never saw this.

I have an appointment on Monday for them to examine.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It there a TSB for this?

Thanks,

My 2013 Limited has the dreaded leaking issue on the 3rd row passenger side. What a mess. Water behind panel where speaker is, spare tire cover soaked and the rug around the spare tire soaked.

Not holding out hope there will be a fix after reading this topic. Then there's the mold potential. Not Happy and unacceptable for a $49K vehicle.

After taking out the panels as everything was soaked, I found where the leak is coming from. The water leaks onto the quarter trim panel then onto the seatbelt, then onto the floor. Looking inside the sheetmetal where all the panels meet the water is coming from the joint. The seam sealer on the side of the hatch hinge mounted on the roof is cracked. Lets see what Ford says on Monday. I am surprised that Ford does not have a TSB out for this. I bet they all leak and people do not even know it. From the posts that I am reading, people owning 2011-2013 are having the problem.

To all of the customer service personel, stop listening to customers complain and speak to engineering on getting a TSB out ASAP.

Mildew = Health Hazard =1-800-LEMONLAW Ask for Bob Silverman

It rained hard last night and upon opening my rear hatch in the morning after the rain had passed, I noticed a puddle of water on my weather tech cargo liner.

In addition the seat belt cloth was extremely wet.

Went to dealer and they said they never saw this.

I have an appointment on Monday for them to examine.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It there a TSB for this?

Thanks,
There have been several threads on this topic already. If you did a 'Search' for the issue you would have found some. One of the main ones is shown in the post by blwnsmoke.
There is no TSB shown for it in the 2011-2012 Explorer TSB thread for the issue and I don't think one was ever issued. It isn't a very common complaint.

I don't know why this 'Search' program isn't used more before threads are begun on similar topics.
Perhaps some members are not aware of it.

Peter

Peter,

WOW, I must of hit a sensitive area.

Life is very short, sit back and have a beer.

Regards,

Bruce

Same here. Taking mine in again on Monday for this issue.

There have been several threads on this topic already. If you did a 'Search' for the issue you would have found some. One of the main ones is shown in the post by blwnsmoke.
There is no TSB shown for it in the 2011-2012 Explorer TSB thread for the issue and I don't think one was ever issued. It isn't a very common complaint.

I don't know why this 'Search' program isn't used more before threads are begun on similar topics.
Perhaps some members are not aware of it.

Peter

It's called laziness. It's easier for some people to ask and get someone else (like you!) to do it. LOL

Let us know how you did at the dealer with you water leak
Maybe you can post some pics ? That would help.
Tx

It's called laziness. It's easier for some people to ask and get someone else (like you!) to do it. LOL

Tell me about it. Considering the thread I linked was about 10 posts below this one on the 1st page.

This is embarrasing.

Ford Body Engineering knew abouth this issue in 2011. I know, because I personally talked to them about this when my Exp leaked. Not only that, but I showed them one of their test vehicles was leaking in thier parking lot. Ford Body Engineering also told me that the Chicago Assembly Plant - PVT Engineers were aware of this also.

A buddy of mine just picked up his 2013 Exp Sport - It leaks at the 3rd Row Passenger Seat Belt.

2 Years and Ford Engineers still can't fix a leak. No wonder thier quality ratings are tanking.

My 2013 Limited has the dreaded leaking issue on the 3rd row passenger side. What a mess. Water behind panel where speaker is, spare tire cover soaked and the rug around the spare tire soaked.

Not holding out hope there will be a fix after reading this topic. Then there's the mold potential. Not Happy and unacceptable for a $49K vehicle.

Hi Greg P,

I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll make sure your information gets into the right hands.

Thanks!

Crystal

After taking out the panels as everything was soaked, I found where the leak is coming from. The water leaks onto the quarter trim panel then onto the seatbelt, then onto the floor. Looking inside the sheetmetal where all the panels meet the water is coming from the joint. The seam sealer on the side of the hatch hinge mounted on the roof is cracked. Lets see what Ford says on Monday...

Hi BruceF,

Have you received an update from your dealership? I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. Send me your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) via private message and I'll get to work on your case.

Thanks,

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer is in the process of adding seam sealer to the existing seam sealer.

They are still working on the car however, they gave me a loaner.

regards,

Back