• Register Today It's free!

Help keep blowing fuse 19

Greenmachine123

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L
OK, so here is my problem... I was getting a No Start, No Spark situation, so I took my multimeter to the coil pack and was getting a short between 1 and 5. So I got a new coil pack and a new 25 amp fuse, fired right up for about 5 mins then blew the fuse again, replaced the fuse, fired up again for about 10 seconds then blew again. Anyone have any ideas? I need to get to work tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

save yourself some money on fuses and use that meter to measure the resistance from the fuse holder to ground (ie. remove the fuse and check the outgoing connector / spade. Next, pull the connection at the coil, what is the reading now? Note: if you are blowing 25 amp fuses, you are looking at fraction of an ohm so measure / check your readings carefully. Further, pull your pcm power relay (most likely your problem), what's your reading now? OR you could just throw a few more dollars at parts and take a guess and replace the pcm power relay... :) Lastly, if you don't start your vehicle, but just turn your key to ON, does the fuse still blow?

budwich has you taken care of. Solid troubleshooting process.

Hi everyone reading this post.

Did you solve the problem? What was causing fuse #19 to blow?

I have the same problem. The first time the new fuse lasted for 2 months, the second one for 5 minutes, the third one lasted just 30 secs. From that point every new fuse I put blows as soon as I turn the key to the on position. Vehicle won't start.

All the wires from the fuse box (next to the driver's door) to the power distribution box (under the hood) seem to be ok. I tested all the relays. I don't know what else should I check.

Vehicle: 1999 2-door Explorer, V6, 4Lt OHV, 4x4, Manual transmission.

PLS HELP!!!!

What are your results from the test procedure from above? We need more info to make a solid diagnosis.

Hope this helps

Yes. I did solve the problem eventually, that cost me 3 coil packs, a new ecu, spark plug cables, spark plugs, etc. Anyways, the only thing I can say is that if the above things don't seem like they are obviously damaged (scored, shorting out, burned, are old and need replacing anyways) then that probably isn't your problem. Check the resistance and voltage in the WHOLE system (if you need more info on that, check the forums or you can PM me), make sure you don't have any *aftermarket*gov't issued* parts connected to your starting system or they may not be on your schematic and could be shorting out causing the fuse to blow.

Thanks Neil / Greenmachine.

I will check and recheck what you say and also I will unwrap all the cables running to and from the power distribution box (where the relays are), because one week before the first blown fuse I had to replace both cylinder heads due to overheating. Probably some wires could have been damaged. I'll do that during the weekend and I'll let you know what I find.

That is definitely your problem. I had my head apart right before the short too but the wire wasn't in the wiring diagram so that is why it took so long to find. Did you have a chance to look again

My Ex does this same thing. What wires specifically were the culprit for both of you? Maybe there's a common wire. And any thoughts on where I should start testing wires.

My Ex does this same thing. What wires specifically were the culprit for both of you? Maybe there's a common wire. And any thoughts on where I should start testing wires.

I don't know what wire was causing fuse 19 to blow. What I did was just unwrap, clean and rewrap all the cables from the PCM, the power distribution box and the fuse box. That solved the fuse 19 issue, but the engine did not start. I sent the PCM to an automotive electronic lab for diagnosis; they replaced a faulty CPU or microprocessor. I reinstalled my old PCM and engine started up nice and smooth. End of story.

Hope that helps.

I don't know what wire was causing fuse 19 to blow. What I did was just unwrap, clean and rewrap all the cables from the PCM, the power distribution box and the fuse box. That solved the fuse 19 issue, but the engine did not start. I sent the PCM to an automotive electronic lab for diagnosis; they replaced a faulty CPU or microprocessor. I reinstalled my old PCM and engine started up nice and smooth. End of story.

Hope that helps.

This is all somewhat helpful, But anyway I can know forsure that this is the fix of the fuse blowing problem? And can anyone tell me how much it was for the fix? Thanks.

An old thread but I am worried this is my future. I have a 97 5.0 AWD with 88k and died and after pain and suffering (ie paying dealer $319) they replaced fuse 19 though they said fuse 19 wasn't obviously blown. Also this is an ex-municipal vehicle.

I'm 250 miles from the vehicle (but near GFs house - a whole other story). I'm in NYC taking bus the 250 miles and then taxi to dealer's parking lot where I'll use my spare key to drive the vehicle to GFs house. Now I'm worried this is the beginning of the story and not the end...

I do not work on my own vehicles... two twin white 1997 5.0 AWDs with 88k and 130k respectively. The 130k has other issues and is not insured or registered.

Back