Excise tax just arrived | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Excise tax just arrived

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ka- POW !
Not being in the U.S., I'm not sure what this has to do with the Explorer. Is this an added tax you have to pay after you've purchased the vehicle?

Peter

No idea what this post means either, but then again I'm sick as a dog from allergies and fuzzy around the edges :) :) :)

would guess you got a check for the tax ?

Yes, its based on
the city rate x every$1K in value of the vehicle=total yearly tax

since its new its pretty painful...

Same thing in NC, yearly property tax on your vehicles. Not new here but never a fun bill to get.

Same thing in NC, yearly property tax on your vehicles. Not new here but never a fun bill to get.
Never heard of that before. Here in Canada we only pay property tax on our home.
That kind of tax would sure be an incentive to buy 'used'.

Peter

Never heard of that before. Here in Canada we only pay property tax on our home.
That kind of tax would sure be an incentive to buy 'used'.

Peter

I lived in Michigan previously. No property tax on cars there.

Same here in Connecticut. Based on the mill rate of your town and the value of your vehicle, regardless if it's new/used/leased, etc..

No excise tax here in Vermont.

Wow, I would drive a total POS if that was the case. I hate taxes :-/

Let's kill this string of posts before the idiots in Sacramento realize they have another source of income! Good thing none of them can read.

Let's kill this string of posts before the idiots in Sacramento realize they have another source of income! Good thing none of them can read.

Oh my haha!

Good thing I'm in NM, sales tax is 3% abd that's it..

Until recently I never noticed that tax but it is part of the car registration fee in Arizona.

Of course it is tax deductible at the end of the year but still.. If you're not expecting it it is quite a surprise.

~Mark

So how much sales tax did you pay when purchasing the vehicle?

Usually, it's one (sales tax) or the other (excise tax, personal property tax, etc.)

So how much sales tax did you pay when purchasing the vehicle?

Usually, it's one (sales tax) or the other (excise tax, personal property tax, etc.)

North Carolina charges 3%. Instead of a sales tax they call it a highway use tax and it's paid every time title is transferred. So, essentially we pay sales tax on purchase AND property tax each year.

North Carolina charges 3%. Instead of a sales tax they call it a highway use tax and it's paid every time title is transferred. So, essentially we pay sales tax on purchase AND property tax each year.

Eh that would suck!

And I believe sales tax in AZ is 12% on a vehicle, but I could be wrong, I can't remember. I just moved back from selling cars in Phoenix in March.

Until recently I never noticed that tax but it is part of the car registration fee in Arizona.

Of course it is tax deductible at the end of the year but still.. If you're not expecting it it is quite a surprise.

~Mark

Same here, car registration is based on vehicle type, how old it is, and new price. The "curve" is quite dramatic too as far as how old the car is. A brand new car will be around $750/year and a 10yr old car is like $40/year

My wifes 2011 edge is around $650 and the 05 super duty is only like $150 iirc.

Edit: In Iowa this also varies on what county you live in. The higher the population, the higher the taxes.

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts we pay a sales tax when you purchase a car plus a yearly excise tax

Back