• Register Today It's free!

climate control: HVAC Issues

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
This morning outside temperature was about 32-34ºF. For almost 1/2 hour, in route to the dealer to get the 12B36 fan PCM reprogram, I could not get heat coming out any of the HVAC ports/vents, in any condition (Auto, Manual, dual zone, separate zone) even when temperature was set to "HI".
Then finally, after about 25 minutes, I heard like a vacuum/suction sound on the driver side HVAC port/vent and hot air started flowing, the passenger side was still blowing cold air.
When I arrived at the dealership, I showed them the issue and they found a TSB (I should have written the number down) that refers to sticking actuator for the HVAC flaps (for 2011 models). The TSB entails taking out the vent flap actuator and drilling out some holes to let the mechanism function easier.
Although probably not needed with summer aorund the corner, I suggest you verify that indeed hot air is coming out of the HVAC vents.

EDIT: Here is the TSB from the sticky notes:
12-1-8 DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No heat sometimes

I am having same issue with 2011 Limited. Intermittent loss of heat. No matter what I do to the HVAC controls I will not get heat. Usually if I restart heat will flow, otherwise loss of heat is very random. Did I understand there is a TSB to address this? It's starting to get cold and I need heat!

I am having same issue with 2011 Limited. Intermittent loss of heat. No matter what I do to the HVAC controls I will not get heat. Usually if I restart heat will flow, otherwise loss of heat is very random. Did I understand there is a TSB to address this? It's starting to get cold and I need heat!
As new to ford stated, there is a TSB on this and you can see it in the 'Sticky' thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Peter

Hi rudylyon57,

Make an appointment at your dealership to they can diagnose your vehicle. I'd hate for you to get frostbite! Seriously though, your dealership is the best place to get this addressed promptly. Let me know how things go and don't hesitate to contact me if you need additional help.

Thanks!

Crystal

i had that a while back, before i was able to get to the dealer for a fix i used to get it working by banging the dash with my palm right above the center vents and it worked.... worth a try if you cant get to dealer right away.....

Hi Crystal,

This question may be more general in nature. What success do Ford dealers have in diagnosing intermitent problems such as this heat issue, or, the A-pillar buzz/rattle? I worry that my dealer will simply say "we cannot re-create the problem". Where does that leave me in such a situation.

HVAC blowing cold air

Had the same problem with the wife's Ex. Went to dealer thinking it was a thermostat problem, and low and behold there was the TSB for the actuator mechanism.

Dealer fixed it (and did the TSB on the transmission too) and now both work fine.

I hate going to the dealer (mainly because it's 20 miles one way) but there are times that it is worth while.

haven't had either problem with my Ex.

i had that a while back, before i was able to get to the dealer for a fix i used to get it working by banging the dash with my palm right above the center vents and it worked.... worth a try if you cant get to dealer right away.....

Had the same problem with the wife's Ex. Went to dealer thinking it was a thermostat problem, and low and behold there was the TSB for the actuator mechanism.

Dealer fixed it (and did the TSB on the transmission too) and now both work fine.

I hate going to the dealer (mainly because it's 20 miles one way) but there are times that it is worth while.

haven't had either problem with my Ex.

Thanks for telling us about your experiences, vig1116 and briteboy! I'm glad to hear that your concerns were resolved. :thumbsup:

Hi Crystal,

This question may be more general in nature. What success do Ford dealers have in diagnosing intermitent problems such as this heat issue, or, the A-pillar buzz/rattle? I worry that my dealer will simply say "we cannot re-create the problem". Where does that leave me in such a situation.

Hi rudylyon57,

Ford certified techs are specially trained to get to the bottom of concerns like these. If you're worried about your tech being unable to reproduce the symptom, offer to take them along with you on a test drive so you can replicate the circumstances under which it occurs. Additionally, you're always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership if that is what you would prefer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Crystal

Dual Climate not working on a 2011 Ex

So my friend has a 2011 Ford Explorer which just turned 36,100 miles and he went to turn on the air conditioning on and with both sides set to LO.. the driver's side is pumping out ice cold air and the passenger's side pumps out heat. He is going to call the dealership but I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue?

He has gone for all updates and service on the vehicle. He does not have an extended warranty.

No matter what he does driver's side is ice cold.. passenger's side hot as hell.

I have a 2011 Edge and even though MFT acts up on me I have never seen this before.

Thanks in advance!

Found my own answer on this site.. there is a TSB for it.

This site rocks!!

Found my own answer on this site.. there is a TSB for it.

This site rocks!!
Good catch. Saves me pointing that out. ;):thumbsup:
If your friend isn't a member on this forum, perhaps you should point him in the right direction.:D

Peter

Different temperatures blowing out of different vents

Apologies ahead of time if the Title and description is confusing, but I don't know how else to describe my latest issue with MFT.

Recently and on two occasions the climate control stated isn't being respected.

First scenario:
Setting: AC on LO / Max AC on head and feet for both passenger and driver
What actually is happening: HI heat on both head and feet for passenger and driver as if I had heater on high
What I tried:
changing temperature from LO to a 15 degrees and moved up 0.5 with no success
Did a master reset of the MFT - with no success.
This continued to happen for a few days then all of a sudden climate control was working again as it should normally

Second scenario:
What actually is happening: AC on both head and feet for DRIVER side only, passenger side was blowing HI heat as if I had heater on high
What I tried:
Again,t his continued to happen for a few days then all of a sudden climate control was working again as it should normally

This is quite frustrating and I haven't found anything with the same symptoms on the forum.

Has anybody experienced this issue. IT IS absolutely bizarre and there is no rhyme or reason for behavior like this.

I've called the dealership and they indicated to me the next time it happens I should bring it in, but because it is intermittent and can't recreated it, i will need to bring it in as soon as it happens and don't shut my car off. The last time it happened it was on a Sunday and the dealership service is closed - great timing EX.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Apologies ahead of time if the Title and description is confusing, but I don't know how else to describe my latest issue with MFT.

Recently and on two occasions the climate control stated isn't being respected.

First scenario:
What actually is happening: HI heat on both head and feet for passenger and driver as if I had heater on high
What I tried:
This continued to happen for a few days then all of a sudden climate control was working again as it should normally

Second scenario:
What actually is happening: AC on both head and feet for DRIVER side only, passenger side was blowing HI heat as if I had heater on high
What I tried:
Again,t his continued to happen for a few days then all of a sudden climate control was working again as it should normally

This is quite frustrating and I haven't found anything with the same symptoms on the forum.

Has anybody experienced this issue. IT IS absolutely bizarre and there is no rhyme or reason for behavior like this.

I've called the dealership and they indicated to me the next time it happens I should bring it in, but because it is intermittent and can't recreated it, i will need to bring it in as soon as it happens and don't shut my car off. The last time it happened it was on a Sunday and the dealership service is closed - great timing EX.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
As with others that have had a similar problem, I think yours should fall under TSB 12-1-8, DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE.

You can check it out in the 2011 - 2012 TSB thread.

Peter

Dealer will fix it

Vdel,

I had a similar problem with a call for heat. HVAC would blow cold air on driver side and heated air on passenger side. The problem would come and go with no identified cause or pattern. Like you, I was also skeptical that my local dealer could re-create the problem to justify the repair.

As luck would have it, the problem arose one day and I drove directly to the dealer so they could validate my observation. In any event, it was fixed, along with a host of other issues. To be honset, I think they would have fixed it without witnessing the issue first hand since there is a documented TSB. Good luck.

I just had this TSB done but in my case the temp was hot on one side and cold on the other. The fix does involve a reprogram of the HVAC module so maybe that will help.

2011 Explorer Limited HVAC problems.

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, that blows hot air Drivers side, and cold air on the Passenger side. I know it must be a faulty Temp blend Door actuator. Where is that actuator located, and any tips on what I need to take apart to replace it? Thanks in advance. ( I already saw the TSB)

I already replaced a noisey clicking actuator behind the glove box that bolted to the blower motor.

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, that blows hot air Drivers side, and cold air on the Passenger side. I know it must be a faulty Temp blend Door actuator. Where is that actuator located, and any tips on what I need to take apart to replace it? Thanks in advance. ( I already saw the TSB)

I already replaced a noisey clicking actuator behind the glove box that bolted to the blower motor.
As I mentioned in my PM, I moved your post to this existing thread. Not sure if this completely DIY project. According to post #15 above, some reprograming is required.
Good luck.

Peter

Back