Clicking Explorer

johndi1962

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi
I am having a noise issue with my 96 4.0l Explorer

The noise I am hearing is when I am stopped and idling ever maybe 10-15 seconds I get this loud clicking sound from under the hood and sometimes when this happens it affects the idle sort of what it sounds like when the air conditioning clicks on. I do not have the air on it is cold and I have the heat on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The A/c compressor runs on any setting except heat (floor) and vent. The short cycle your hearing may be a sign of low refrigerant.

The A/c compressor runs on any setting except heat (floor) and vent. The short cycle your hearing may be a sign of low refrigerant.

+1. open the hood and watch the a/c clutch hub. when you hear the click, i'll bet you the hub has started spinning.

+2 ^^ fill er' up!

The a/c compressor clutch will cycle on any temperature/vent selection. It does this so you have nice dry air that doesn't fog up your windows/make the interior humid to promote mold growth.

And also, don't just zap in refrigerant if it's low. You could overcharge your system and potentially damage it. And any a/c system repair requires a lot of component changing/labor time. So get some gauges and specs before you try it.

Thanks for all the comments. The refridgerant is most likely low since when it was a bit warmer here it was not blowing very cold when I turned it on to test it. And I will have to switch it to floor or vent and see if that stops it.

Back