Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sportexplore wrote In fact, the warranty is just about to expire on my '08 F350 and I had a problem with a component related to the turbo cooler. Sure seems like a warranty part. Even the service writer (best guy in the world) wrote it up as a warranty repair then called the next day and told me it would be $500, not warranty. Not his fault, he did cover the rental (Explorer XLT) for four days that caused us to buy the sport, but long story there.

I had the Ford Premium Care on my F150. It says it is so comprehensive that they list what is not covered. On the other hand they also have a pamphlet which says 500 parts are covered.

I needed repairs to two different parts and each time two different dealers said it was not covered, that it wasn't listed in the pamphlet! A quick call on my part to the Ford ESP department and each time I got an OK for repair.

Just because the dealer says it's not covered, if it's not listed on the exclusions, then it is covered (Premium Care, not sure what coverage you had).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Premium Maintenance Plan

Buying a new limited in a few days. Does anyone have any experience on whether or not I should purchase the Ford Extended Service Plan? Any advice?

Buying a new limited in a few days. Does anyone have any experience on whether or not I should purchase the Ford Extended Service Plan? Any advice?
Welcome to the Forum Maddog1970.:wavey:
Are you talking about 2 different items? There is a Ford Maintenance Plan and a Ford Extended Service Plan.
I bought the ESP mainly because of all the onboard electronics and because it is a new generation Ford. That said, I have been taking extended warranties just for the peace of mind. I bought mine through my dealer but others have bought them from other sources.
If you do a 'Search' on ESP you will find several threads on it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350081&highlight=ESP

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344296&highlight=ESP

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325027&highlight=ESP

There are more posts on it as well.

Peter

Thank you. I guess I thought I was talking about the maintenance plan and what people thought of it. But I am also curious where I can buy the service plan for the best rate.
Thanks,
Matt

I picked up the 7 year -100k ESP w/enhanced rental, and the 4 year - 60k PMP with 5000 mile intervals and first day rental coverage to cover just about everything else the ESP doesn't cover. No matter what happens to the Explorer I'm pretty much covered up to and including a rental car. So far no complaints. Added benefit was the dealer pushing me up to the front of the line for my first oil change. That alone was worth the cost! LOL.

I'm sure someone will come along and say the PMP is a waste of money, and for some it may be. I see it as a big convienience and hell... it's my money to spend. :)

If you are a hands on person, you can save a lot of money doing the basics yourself (oil changes, air filter changes, transmission fluid changes etc). I personally take care of my F250 as the maintenance is expensive (15k fuel filters, 7.5k oil changes - 15 quarts, 30k tranny changes).

With the ex, I've just had the dealer do the oil changes because I get them for $17.95-$19.95. That to me is a great price and not worth me driving on ramps and getting on the ground to change my oil.

With those coupons I get monthly, I'm well in front of the maintenance plan cost.

As far as ESP, I'll PM you my contact, he sells them for $100 over cost and you will have a hard time finding anyone cheaper. First day rental which is key is included in the price. I bought a 6yr, 125k warranty and at 39k, it is in the shop right now for oil in the intake tube. Definitely peace of mind.. I did the 18 month finance plan, 0%, 18 payments.

Zeigler is also one of the less-expensive places for the ESP...

For the maintenance plan, when we bought our Escape, they gave us the price, and a lot of the things that they list in the brochure as being covered if needed by maintenance would have never hit the mileage requirements to be replaced. So, for what they were going to actually do maintenance on, it was way overpriced. Read carefully- stuff like coolant changes, brakes, etc, etc- most of them will not occur in the mileage that they cover so even if they say that they will replace them if needed as dictated by mileage, few items would ever be done. It was basically oil changes and stuff like that. No way it was worth it in our case. I get the coupons too- and $11 for semi-syn oil changes at the dealer are found all day- way less than the program prices.

Thank you. I guess I thought I was talking about the maintenance plan and what people thought of it. But I am also curious where I can buy the service plan for the best rate.
Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Spend some time checking out the information at our ESP site, here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage. You can also call our ESP group at 877-794-6434; they'll be happy to talk with you about different options depending on your needs.

Crystal

Buying a PremiumCARE extended warranty...price negotiation?

I'm going to buy a PremiumCARE extended warranty this week, and I could use some advice on how much room for negotiation I can expect on the price. My 2012 (in-service 11/2011) Explorer Limited already has 33800 miles. I had never driven more than 16k miles per year on any of my other cars...it's crazy, but I've tested the odometer. I'm planning on getting a 2018/125k/$0 deductible warranty, which is priced at ~3500 on the ford website...I plan on keeping the car as long as possible...I like it. :)

Edmunds says extended service plans are highly marked up and can be negotiated. Does anyone have experience negotiating an ESP?

Thanks!

I live in Canada and when I bought my Sport I got them to knock almost a grand. 6 year 150k premium. Still I didn't take it as it was still more than a 7 year 200k I can get in Maine. They will say they can't do it. Just tell them if they don't give you a deal you'll buy it on line instead.

These are the best I've found for REAL mfg warranties (i won't buy anything else!) this site was started by a LARGE dealer group that handled that many different brands....
(my local dealer said the quote I had was below his cost )

give em a call...

http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

I bought the 7yr/100k extended plan which was $2500 and got them to knock off $300 by just asking if the price was negotiable. She said it is and most people just don't ask. Have other options lined up with #'s, they want your $$ and as with pitting dealers against each other try will do what they can to get it.

I'm going to buy a PremiumCARE extended warranty this week, and I could use some advice on how much room for negotiation I can expect on the price. My 2012 (in-service 11/2011) Explorer Limited already has 33800 miles. I had never driven more than 16k miles per year on any of my other cars...it's crazy, but I've tested the odometer. I'm planning on getting a 2018/125k/$0 deductible warranty, which is priced at ~3500 on the ford website...I plan on keeping the car as long as possible...I like it. :)

Edmunds says extended service plans are highly marked up and can be negotiated. Does anyone have experience negotiating an ESP?

Thanks!
If you do a 'search' you will find there are several threads on this topic. Here are a couple you might want to look at;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382036&highlight=warranty

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377965&highlight=warranty

I bought a Premium Leasecare, 48 months, 80,000km, 0 deductible with rental for $1175 from the dealer without negotiating.

Peter

Hey gang,

Your best resource for information about Ford Extended Service Plans is our ESP group. You can check out their website here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage. If you'd prefer, you can give them a call at 877-794-6434; they'll explain the options available and help you pick out the best plan for you and your needs.

Crystal

Everything is negotiable

My dealer matched the best quote I had gotten online. I would rather they make the buck and they would rather make a little something as opposed to nothing.

Hey gang, is it advantageous to purchase the plan with low miles (mine has 700) or will the quote increase as you get closer to the end of the factory included warranty? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back