Where to ground amp behind third row | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to ground amp behind third row

SUL73NAZ

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I installed an amp in my explorer yesterday and it does not have a good ground connection (won't turn on). Where is an Ideal place other people have used to ground their amps? The amp as on the passenger side rear behind the 3rd row. Should I just start scraping off paint when I find sheet metal? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey there,
I have installed alot of amps and the best place is to bolt the ground to the seat. I ran mine to the 2nd row seat. I took out the bolt holding the chair to the floor and put the ground there and tighten it down. Since yours is under the third row you could run the ground under where the jack stand is. There are some pretty big bolts down there. Just sand a little bit you should be fine!

Hey there,
I have installed alot of amps and the best place is to bolt the ground to the seat. I ran mine to the 2nd row seat. I took out the bolt holding the chair to the floor and put the ground there and tighten it down. Since yours is under the third row you could run the ground under where the jack stand is. There are some pretty big bolts down there. Just sand a little bit you should be fine!

Thanks!

Here are pics for reference:
photobucket-81067-1366830388735_zps5ba45fb0.jpg

photobucket-76876-1366830446940_zps6be16438.jpg

Looks good! I put my amp under the 2nd row seat because I have 2 12's that won't fit behind the third row haha

Looks good! I put my amp under the 2nd row seat because I have 2 12's that won't fit behind the third row haha

LOL 2 12's is too much for me! I just really wanted a little more bass. I have Kicker 6x8's in all the doors and an nice Kenwood Headunit. Just a simple little system is all.

Head unit with the variable select color set to match the green of the factory Ford Gauges. Can't really see the door speakers since they are hidden.

photobucket-85677-1366836086802_zpsb919a2eb.jpg

at night
photobucket-93921-1366836260777_zps03e9fc32.jpg

Got it done, took like 5 mins (I ran out of daylight yesterday). Sounds good I dig it!
photobucket-35889-1366850877509_zpse490b959.jpg

If you want a good ground drill a hole and ground to your frame I have a 4000 rms system that I've broke my windshield with And I have never dropped below 13.9 volts :)

If you want a good ground drill a hole and ground to your frame I have a 4000 rms system that I've broke my windshield with And I have never dropped below 13.9 volts :)

Haha I found a good ground. Literally took like 5 mins. Everything was like 99% Done I was just tired and out of sunlight. Thanks though!

Looks good man. I have my amp under the storage compartment that runs behind the third row. I used the bolt that secures the seatbelt buckles for the third row as a ground. I can still close the storage compartment flat(with the jack removed) for when I need to take my sub out and not mess with removing the amp too.

Heres my 8" behind the third row

IMAG0270-1.jpg

IMAG0272-1.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

Got it done, took like 5 mins (I ran out of daylight yesterday). Sounds good I dig it!
photobucket-35889-1366850877509_zpse490b959.jpg

What are the dimensions on that box?

I've been dying to install my 10" Alpine TypeE but none of the boxes I already have even come close to fitting behind the 3rd row.

Back