Lowering the Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

46and2 the ride is looking sweet. Nice stance, so how do you like the ride?

How do you like height? Pictures never justify but the ride looks real low or is it just me?

Can't wait to see a lowered Ex on 22's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the ride is surprisingly good. Slightly stiffer, but still smooth and comfortable. i am definitely happy. I bet if you change the wheel to 22" with lower profile tires, the ride is gonna be stiffer.

As far as the look goes, the first impression I got was "this is what the normal height should be".

still waiting to see a lowered Ex with 22"s. I've always been interested in the lowering option, but my concern is that since I do tow my boat with it, I was wondering if a fully packaged truck with a boat in tow would sit too low...any thoughts from those that have done this mod?
Thanks

They are telling me my 22's should ship Monday so I'll post pics after that.
Regarding the boat I would say measure your clearance before and after the boat and subtract that difference from the measurements I posted earlier in this thread. Should give you a pretty good idea.
Hey 46and2, did you tint the amber on your headlights or is it just the lighting? They look darker.

yes i did :D

for some reason the ex looks longer after the mod

What method did you use (paint, film)?

I'd love to see a side by side of a lowered Ex and a regular height one.

Can anybody make this happen?

I used film.
awmenard, trust me, it looks way better lowered! no need for side by side comparison :D

Thanks for the info 46and2... I'm ordering my 22's in the next week or so as well as a K&N CAI, will see about the springs after that ...

I'm scared that lowered it will just look like a bigger Flex...

When you get a chance try to post more pics if possible , maybe something from a distance :)

I used film.
awmenard, trust me, it looks way better lowered! no need for side by side comparison :D

Looks nice 46and2. Yes the lowered stance has such a big visual difference than a stock height. Also, what percentage film did you use for your lights? You preferred to go with film over a tint spray?

I also keep forgetting to ask this, but why is it after this long that the new Explorer has been out, that no other company has made any aftermarket lowering springs for it?

What lowering springs is everyone using? i have a 2012 limited 3.5 non eco 4x4

Ok, here it is from a distance

2499-4A1A-9990-CA9DFEB2C1FB-22871-00000D298D54A19A.jpg

5181-41EE-A072-59D22C7B53F2-22871-00000D29910402B1.jpg

3092-4D40-AB7B-8A8C6C02967C-22871-00000D29899F2C63.jpg

Looks nice 46and2. Yes the lowered stance has such a big visual difference than a stock height. Also, what percentage film did you use for your lights? You preferred to go with film over a tint spray?

I'm not sure what perceentage film they used. But I told him not too dark. I prefered film because I may have to take it off when the lease ends.

Thanks for the pics. It does look amazing, great work.

Bodybump, have you lowered yours yet? I think I'll 'borrow' your black edition emblem idea.
To anyone else who lowers it, I took it in for an alignment and the rear camber was way off at -2.5 degrees. They said there is no factory adjustment for it. After I got it home I found out there is. The hole in the upper arm where the bolt goes through for the knuckle is elongated to allow for adjustment. I put it all the way out and I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for fine tuning.

I wanna drop my sport 1-2 inches at least. It sits just a bit too high for me and it would help eliminate some body roll that it has as well. Is there anyone that makes a set of lowering springs ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, here it is from a distance

2499-4A1A-9990-CA9DFEB2C1FB-22871-00000D298D54A19A.jpg

5181-41EE-A072-59D22C7B53F2-22871-00000D29910402B1.jpg

3092-4D40-AB7B-8A8C6C02967C-22871-00000D29899F2C63.jpg

Oh man, Truck looks great! I just ordered my springs! I cant wait to get them installed. Have you noticed any ride quality changes?

Back