Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Same Problem ?

This burnt oil smell and another thread of a sulfer/hair smell. Is this the same thing.

With out a doubt Ford knows.

BTW my Sport has 1100 miles now and first time yesterday WOT passing up to about 85 MPH :eek: I noticed what I would describe as a burning hair smell. Haven't been to the dealership yet.

Crystal, please comment.

Red13Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear that jmc! Do you have the 2.0 EcoBoost? That mileage is awesome!

That is with the V6. We test drove both the 2.0 ecoboost and the V6 before buying and the instant mpg display showed both of them getting the same mileage, so we opted to save $1000 and get the bigger engine! It is really nice getting this mileage coming from having a Tahoe that only got 17-18 mpg at the most if you babied it.

Red13Sport,

It's all the same issue. Exhaust being drawn into the cabin by the rear recirculation vents located behind the rear bumper. The TSB developed to cure the problem does not work. If you've followed this thread and others related to it you'll see that those of us with the defect continue to suffer from it. Crystal cannot do anything to help you other than forward your information to the regional service manager. The manager in turn will ensure that the TSB is performed. Then you'll be in the same position before you took it in. Accelerate hard = smell exhaust.

We've not experienced this... except for the burn in of the exhaust in the first few miles of heating...
and then, it was only when we exited the car after a 'spirited' run...

is it when the heater or ac is running or without anything on ?
are the windows open when this happens or ?
just trying to understand...
Would extending the exhaust tips help to 'push' the exhaust further out
or is it the negative pressure wave behind the suv's tail ?

Red13Sport,

It's all the same issue. Exhaust being drawn into the cabin by the rear recirculation vents located behind the rear bumper. The TSB developed to cure the problem does not work. If you've followed this thread and others related to it you'll see that those of us with the defect continue to suffer from it. Crystal cannot do anything to help you other than forward your information to the regional service manager. The manager in turn will ensure that the TSB is performed. Then you'll be in the same position before you took it in. Accelerate hard = smell exhaust.
There are several members here who have had the TSB done and reported that the smell is gone. Although not everyone that has had it done reported success, to say " The TSB developed to cure the problem does not work" is inaccurate.

Peter

This burnt oil smell and another thread of a sulfer/hair smell. Is this the same thing.

With out a doubt Ford knows.

BTW my Sport has 1100 miles now and first time yesterday WOT passing up to about 85 MPH :eek: I noticed what I would describe as a burning hair smell. Haven't been to the dealership yet.

Crystal, please comment.

Red13Sport

Hi Red13Sport,

Sounds like it's time to have your dealership take a look. I can bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can assist; send me a PM with your information and I'll get to work. I'll need your VIN, current mileage, preferred servicing dealership, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks! :)

Crystal

Crystal thanks for your reply. I'm going to drive the car a little longer b4 taking it in just in case there's any other minor new car issues.
Are the two issues one in the same ?
Is the burnt oil from the drive train vent ?
Is there a chance of fire ?

Crystal thanks for your reply. I'm going to drive the car a little longer b4 taking it in just in case there's any other minor new car issues.
Are the two issues one in the same ?
Is the burnt oil from the drive train vent ?
Is there a chance of fire ?

Hi Red13Sport,

I don't have any mechanical training, so I'm not in the best position to answer technical questions. If you're concerned, just give your dealership's service department a call so they can advise you and make some recommendations.

Crystal

There are several members here who have had the TSB done and reported that the smell is gone. Although not everyone that has had it done reported success, to say " The TSB developed to cure the problem does not work" is inaccurate. Peter

Peter, you are absolutely right. I cannot argue with your logic. A repair that only succeeds some of the time should still be categorized as a success. My apologies for being overly dramatic. I also apologize to the two members on this site that have had the TSB done successfully. I've read every burning oil smell post on this forum and I place that count at 2.

The vast majority have said it failed outright or only slightly reduced it's intensity.

The regional service manager in my area just called me to check on the status of my vehicle and to find out if everything has been handled. I told him that it had, that the service team was excellent and that I'm happy. He was glad to hear that, but apologetic for me having to deal with the situation at all, and told me he is attaching a 3 year comprehensive service plan to my vehicle's VIN for my trouble :eek:. THANK YOU FORD!!

I just got basically the same call from my regional service manager. She asked if I was pleased with everything and wanted to attach a free service plan to my vehicle. This vehicle purchase just got a lot better!! 3 years 45,000 miles of free service!!

Grapevine Ford rep told me my Explorer was the first one their shop had conducted the TSB fix on. After two days (parts order delay) I am happy to say that the smell is gone. HOWEVER... This should be a recall. Exhaust fumes seeping into the car is HAZARDOUS!

Finally! After breathing in exhaust fumes for over a year, countless hours at the dealership, driving around in a fiesta for days while my Explorer was in the shop the problem is finally fixed...

20130422_151002.jpg

Grapevine Ford rep told me my Explorer was the first one their shop had conducted the TSB fix on. After two days (parts order delay) I am happy to say that the smell is gone...

Finally! After breathing in exhaust fumes for over a year, countless hours at the dealership, driving around in a fiesta for days while my Explorer was in the shop the problem is finally fixed...

Fantastic news, ACREYMAN and FlyBoy789! If you need any assistance in the future, you know how to reach me. :)

Crystal

so nobody is missing that unique feature?

Well, my '11 EX Limited is finally in the shop to have this problem addressed as well as 6 or 7 other TSBs I want fixed. It's been there half a week already and should be ready mid-week next week - fingers crossed that everything is finally fixed!

I just RENTED a 2013 Explorer Limited for a trip to Yosemite, from the Bay Area; 4 hours each way. and YEP,....during hard accelerations into the upper RPM, The Smell of recirculated burnt oil filled the cabin; we would open the windows for a "flush" and continue on. Being restricted to only half throttle sure takes away from the "Driving experience".
This EXP LTD had 17,437 miles,...so, so much for the "break-in theory". I understand their is an explanation now, and a fix at the Dealer requiring RTV and significant dis assembly. Good to know.
I'm expecting to pick up my "ordered" 2013 EXP Sport this week. I figure I best take a "Hi-Accel Road Test" before accepting, to see if 1FM5K8GT3DGC70XXX was built by "Job #1 Team" ,....or "The Team squirting out #2s".
However, it is the end of a model-year run,...so I remain optimistic.
Still a "Ford Guy", (46 years)
'34 3-window, '58 Galaxie 332, '85 Mustang GT, '85 Bronco, '90 Bronco,'96 Bronco,..2013 or 2014 EXP Sprt ?? we'll see,

Well, my '11 EX Limited is finally in the shop to have this problem addressed as well as 6 or 7 other TSBs I want fixed. It's been there half a week already and should be ready mid-week next week - fingers crossed that everything is finally fixed!

Let us know how the appointment goes, rodzilla. Give me a shout if you need any assistance.

Crystal

I've been noticing this more and more in my explorer, but only under very hard acceleration - basically WOT. My four year old asked the other day "what's that smell!?".

It is annoying, because the smell lingers for a while. So it appears I'll be headed back to the dealership, again....

I've been noticing this more and more in my explorer, but only under very hard acceleration - basically WOT. My four year old asked the other day "what's that smell!?".

It is annoying, because the smell lingers for a while. So it appears I'll be headed back to the dealership, again....

There is a TSB 12-12-4 and a member has posted PICs of the procedure.
Search "Exhaust Smell", for the Thread of the exact name. It is only (3) pgs long. ; see Page 2 of the SEARCH for a THREAD; "Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM " Karina
Actually it is Here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375226&highlight=exhaust+smell

SEE Post #12 by NICE59FORDF100. this one has the PICs.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back