Installed 7" Touchscreen - Pioneer AppRadio 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed 7" Touchscreen - Pioneer AppRadio 2

jghake

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1983 F250 HD 4x4
I just finished my AAS and my wife bought me the Pioneer AppRadio 2 for a graduation present. I received it yesterday and got it installed late last night.

Here are some pictures.

8615766335_678d8a103b_c.jpg

8615765939_7507d01aa0_c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does that headunit have preamp outs?

Which gen iPhone are you using? I've seen this radio before, but haven't heard really anything solid about it. Review of it possibly?

It has a ton of preamp out. I'm not using any of them but I remember seeing them.

I've used my jail broken iPhone 5 with appradio extensions from cydia and my wife's non jail broken 5. Both work well.

First post!

Anyways, very nice! I've been looking for something precisely like this. How much was installation? Does anyone know how hard it would be to remove the stock radio and install something like this myself?

Welcome destruktor.

Installation can be free if you do it yourself. As for difficulty, it's pretty simple.

Step 1) Pop off the radio bezel (being sure not to break it or mar the surrounding area)
Step 2) Undo two screws at bottom of old radio (7mm)
Step 3) Pull out old radio
Step 4) unplug radio (try to sell on craigslist)
Step 5) Plug in harness adapter (assuming you soldered or but connected it together previous to step 1
Step 6) Plug harness into new radio
Step 7) Use factory screws to install new radio (this will be the plastic install kit that fills the remaining area that the radio cant fill...also installed previous to step 1)
Step 8) pop the radio bezel back on

Welcome destruktor.

Installation can be free if you do it yourself. As for difficulty, it's pretty simple.

Step 1) Pop off the radio bezel (being sure not to break it or mar the surrounding area)
Step 2) Undo two screws at bottom of old radio (7mm)
Step 3) Pull out old radio
Step 4) unplug radio (try to sell on craigslist)
Step 5) Plug in harness adapter (assuming you soldered or but connected it together previous to step 1
Step 6) Plug harness into new radio
Step 7) Use factory screws to install new radio (this will be the plastic install kit that fills the remaining area that the radio cant fill...also installed previous to step 1)
Step 8) pop the radio bezel back on

Thanks, and that sounds easy peasy except the soldering part?

Thanks, and that sounds easy peasy except the soldering part?

Just use butt connectors, like he mentioned. I did for my install, and they worked just as well. Just be sure to tape them up nice (or heatshrink?), you don't want your radio shorting out while driving down the road.

http://amzn.to/12xDmgC

Hello,

I just bought one of these and I am getting ready to install in my 2002 Ford Explorer and I was just wondering how/where you mounted/instaled the gps antena and the microphone for handsfree calling. Thanks in advance.

I put the GPS antenna right about the head unit on the dashboard at the base of the windshield. If you pull your deck out you can actually see light coming down from near the windshield. I just fished the wire from the top down into that crack.

The microphone is on the left side of my steering column clipped to the top of the plastic shroud around the column itself. The microphone is very sub-par and everyone I talk to using the radio complains... Just an FYI...

Did you have to trim anything to install it? Because from what i can recall, the radio opening in our 3rd gens is 1.75 DIN, not exactly 2 DIN

Back