Can you help my father with where to start with our Explorer? (video inside) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you help my father with where to start with our Explorer? (video inside)

neutron

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello forum!

So, my husband's 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0/V6 stalled while we were driving. The engine literally just cut off, but the electronics stayed on.

There was severe rattling for a few weeks before it happened (we couldn't afford to get it repaired at the time).

I'm pretty sure the oil was low before all of this happened and there may be a small leak as there's some dripping.

Electronics still work, there was one backfire when we tried starting the car.

My father used to have an auto repair business in Alaska back when Reagan was President... hehe Anywho, we got the repair guides from Autozone and the official technical manual, but before we look for a mobile mechanic to give us the look around and before we start pulling apart the engine I thought it would be a good idea to post here asking you guys (the real experts :)).

I took video of the engine trying to start last night to show you what it's doing... My father is leaning towards looking at the timing belt, but him, my husband, and a person friend seem to be willing to pull the whole thing apart if they have to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQN0bM-pr6M

HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would try is starting fluid to see if it will fire with that. If it does, you probably have a fuel delivery problem.

I'm not an expert by any means but my first check would be compression as I'd be leaning towards a timing chain having let go. How many KM on the engine? If a timing chain has let go then you're looking at some bent valves as the pistons will hit the valves when the valve train becomes out of sync with the crank. The rattling may have been the chain tensioners

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316471&highlight=sohc+timing+chain+rattle A quick search brought up this handy looking thread if that indeed is your issue. You'll have no compression on one bank or most cylinders depending on which chain broke. Hopefully I'm way off and this is not your issue, keep us posted!

I'm not an expert by any means but my first check would be compression as I'd be leaning towards a timing chain having let go. How many KM on the engine? If a timing chain has let go then you're looking at some bent valves as the pistons will hit the valves when the valve train becomes out of sync with the crank. The rattling may have been the chain tensioners

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316471&highlight=sohc+timing+chain+rattle A quick search brought up this handy looking thread if that indeed is your issue. You'll have no compression on one bank or most cylinders depending on which chain broke. Hopefully I'm way off and this is not your issue, keep us posted!

188,000 miles...

302,000 km. :)

We're going to remove the radiator tomorrow. Will update our findings then.

188,000 miles...

Yeah really sounds like the chains, should have really looked into it long ago. Good job getting them to last 300,000 kms on original chain setup. They really should be replaced probably at 200,000 or the second they start rattling.

First, let me say I have NO experience with the SOHC engine. Mine is the OHV engine. Having said that, generically it sounds like there is no compression. From what I have learned from this site, I would say the timing chains are toast. I bet if you were to run a compression test, you will find your problem. Good luck.

188,000 miles...

Just going to tear into it? If you have a compression gauge it might save some headache to check first, I'd hate for you to have torn into the engine and find the chain wasn't the problem XD

if the timing chains let go (and it sounds like they have) there really isn't much point "tearing into it". you can do a compression test to verify, but that engine is probably pretty much toast. better to spend your time and money looking for a replacement engine. a 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC with relatively low mileage would be a good choice. you'd just need to swap over the intake and related parts from your old engine.

So they're starting to check to see if it jumped time. We don't have a compression test and they figured they have to look anyways (I think the also just want to get dirty! lol).

I'll keep everyone updated.

Final update, we just did the compression test and at least one of the cylinders has no pressure.

The husband has just elected to buy a new car altogether.

Thanks everyone!

Back