Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Last summer I was lazy and let the coolant level get too low and blew a timing cover gasket and limped it home. Replaced the gasket and the car runs but it just doesn't run great. It NEEDS a new exhaust in front of the muffler.

A couple months ago I finally got the front driveshaft made and installed. It was a pain. Three times in all I had the driveshaft altered. Ended up removing the double u-joint knuckle thing to make it fit. Haven't driven it in 4x4 yet though. Still don't have a shifter for the tcase.

To be honest the tags on the exlpoder expired last year and I rarely drive it. I picked up a 66 mustang last summer which I am now trying to sell and just picked up a '01 bmw 740il which is flipping awesome so the explorer is on the back burner.

Hi Matt, it's good to hear that it's still going. I too have gotten into some other things, it just happens.

I read a few pages of this to see when you got it running, and I noticed the old issue of the VSS signal and which PCM's require the ABS models.

Do you remember if the VSS was used directly by the PCM until 1998, or when the sigal was added to the rear diff? I'm debating on whether to use the 96-98 Explorer 302 PCM for my 91 Lincoln, or a 99-02 Mustang GT PCM. I discovered recently that the 99-01 302 synchronizer will work with the COP 99+ computers. Regards,

When I did the swap I coulda told you but my memory is bad. I can't remember if the original 2wd tail housing on my trans had a speedo in it or if the hole was plugged.

I still love wheeling but haven't been in forever. I hope once I get out of an apartment I can focus more time on my cars and get the ex to a state where it can be a good wheeler I can rely on. The interior isn't nice enough anymore to make it fancy again but I can make it a good wheeler I hope. Mostly I don't drive it because I tore the amps out of it to put into the mustang and it has no sound right now. And driving without music isn't fun.

But this is the main reason I'm ignoring the explorer currently.

B5AE-416B-ACAE-2A837646672D-31246-00001F3C77F9AF81.jpg

The interior isn't nice enough anymore to make it fancy again but I can make it a good wheeler I hope. Mostly I don't drive it because I tore the amps out of it to put into the mustang and it has no sound right now. And driving without music isn't fun.

You could fix the interior, but it would take finding a really nice model in a salvage yard. Those are getting hard to find now.

I know about having no music, my Lincoln hasn't had one for many years, and my mail truck doesn't either. I do however have the pieces for one, I have a DVD player wired in, but need to replace the amp and wiring. Find a Nakamichi PA (200-400 series) amp if you can afford them. They sell for over half of the new cost, but sound far better than any newer amps.

But this is the main reason I'm ignoring the explorer currently.

I love those BMW 700's, and is a 760 a V12 like the movie Transporter? Those are nice cars.

On the E38s (95-01')like mine is the 740 is the 4.4l v8 and the 750 is the v12. The further on in years you get the higher the number goes. The new 750's are the v8's and the 760's are the v12.

It feels pretty cool having a car that cost 65,000$ new. And I picked it up for only 500$ more than I bought the explorer for years ago. Heated seats (IN THE BACK!), heated steering wheel, power everything, power AND mpg efficiency. These cars are an absolute steal if your the kind of guy who can fix it yourself and not give money to a mechanic.

The stock stereo sucks and the speakers are crap though. And because mine has DSC audio I can't replace the stereo without replacing the stock amps as well so I'm waiting to do the whole thing. It's killing me because I'm kind of an audiophile but ill survive.

You know matt, Im always looking to pick up more explorers ::wink wink::

On the E38s (95-01')like mine is the 740 is the 4.4l v8 and the 750 is the v12. The further on in years you get the higher the number goes. The new 750's are the v8's and the 760's are the v12.

It feels pretty cool having a car that cost 65,000$ new. And I picked it up for only 500$ more than I bought the explorer for years ago. Heated seats (IN THE BACK!), heated steering wheel, power everything, power AND mpg efficiency. These cars are an absolute steal if your the kind of guy who can fix it yourself and not give money to a mechanic.

The stock stereo sucks and the speakers are crap though. And because mine has DSC audio I can't replace the stereo without replacing the stock amps as well so I'm waiting to do the whole thing. It's killing me because I'm kind of an audiophile but ill survive.

That stereo sounds like the complicated deal in most Lincolns. Mine had the amps wired into it, in the trunk, so to replace much you basically have to replace it all, or use complicated bypass harnesses. I'm okay with that because I never really liked the OEM deck, plus the amp was about a .1% distortion unit(poor). Mine will be 35wx4 @ .003% distortion.

Luxury cars are great bargains after 5-10 years, given that they were taken care of. I have "kid" who has one on my route, and it's falling apart from what the dad tells me. It looked nice when he got it, it's a dark green model about ten years old.

FYI, a Top Gear episode from around 2010 had two used high end 4dr cars bought for under $7k pounds, and they compared them. Both were V12', a BMW 760 and a Mercedes #600(C600 maybe), 300 and 350rwhp. The Mercedes was a $120k car new, so it was a huge steal. I didn't recall much, they were going to keep them for long term tests, and the Merc had a cruise control which would hold the same distance from another car ahead. Lots of bells and whistles and both.

You know matt, Im always looking to pick up more explorers ::wink wink::

Haha idk why I didn't think of you right away. Some guys up the street asked about the explorer a few weeks ago. I hadn't considered selling it until I thought about using the money to pay off the 740 and then getting another loan and buying myself a M3 or 325-328. I tell you I'm stuck on beamers.

Problem is I really can't bring my self to ask less than 2500 to let go of it. Too much sentimental value and work Ive put in it and I just don't think it'll sell for that. I'd let you have it for 2000 even cause I know you'll take care of her but I don't know if its worth that to ya. I just love my ex too much.

Don you're not joking about bells and whistles. It's almost comical the stuff they will give you a button for when you pay somebody 70 grand for a car. Power folding mirrors, automatic rain sensors, SELF LEVELING HEADLIGHTS(I still don't get why...), mine even has a button on the dash that raises a sunscreen in the rear windshield. But I can figure out why because It's not like it needs to block headlights behind you because the RV mirror is auto dimming! Even has a feature that when you put it in reverse the passenger side mirror will tilt down so you can see the curb on that side automatically. All these things I never knew I needed.

Maint is expensive though. I replaced a timing chain tensioner a while ago. The size of a spark plug and cost 80$. And the engines on the 4.4l v8s have an inept timing chain design that has the chain make an entire v shape from one head to the other with nothing but a plastic guide to ride against and of course as could have been predicted by anyone but a German... These stupid guides wear out. So I'll have to do that sooner or later.

The Explorer SOHC 4.0's have a poor timing chain system too. You should yank that German V8 and do a 302 swap like others here keep doing. I'm kidding of course, but the valvetrain does sound sad.

Yeah I'm not *****ing too much the engine goes hard and doesn't play around. I've filled my engine swap quota for a long while I hope.

Matt,
Where did you get those headlights on your explorer?
I cannot find that type anywhere for the 1st Gen Explorer.

eBay, my man. They kinda float on and off of eBay. Sometimes they are there. Sometimes not.

In fact I just checked and saw these. Even shinier than the ones I have.
http://bit.ly/189giMk

eBay, my man. They kinda float on and off of eBay. Sometimes they are there. Sometimes not.

In fact I just checked and saw these. Even shinier than the ones I have.
http://bit.ly/189giMk

I like your much better. It looks like yours just replace the headlight instead of the whole headlight/turn signal/marker light assembly.
That was why I was asking.

Yeah, Mine was just the headlight and frame with side marker included.

Well it pains me to do it but I'm going to sell the explorer. I'm spending all my time on bmws (I also have an E46 M3 now in addition to the 740iL above) and I just bought a house and need money for furniture and such. I'm asking 1200 bucks. Anyone who is interested shoot me a PM.

I'm looking at you Nice59fordf100. :)

Hi Matt, sorry to hear you have to sell the truck. I love having an extra vehicle when I need it.

Have fun with the new house etc.

Hi Matt, sorry to hear you have to sell the truck. I love having an extra vehicle when I need it.

Have fun with the new house etc.

Yeah I've got two cars and a bike also. Just no time for the explorer.

Back