3rd dual cooling fan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd dual cooling fan?

harmsangha

Reaction score
I have had my dual fans replaced twice due to squealing on shutdown. Now I am on my 3rd set and i hear the squealing noise again on shutdown when I have the climate control on. Looks like another replacement is in my near future. Is there a permanent fix for this or am I just going to be replacing fans 3 times a year? It's kind of making me nervous that this problem will not be fixed permanently, and I will be stuck with this problem after the warranty is up. Somebody needs to take a long look at why this keeps happening. Having the engine overheat is bound to cause other damage as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh crap...I just had my fans replaced for the 1st time today! :scratch:

I only hope to not have to replace fans a 2nd time, let alone 3 times! :mad:

Make sure they document the codes that are stored in your computer on the repair sheets before they erase them.
My vehicles computer had codes P0217 (Engine Over Temperature) and P1299 (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition) recorded. I'm concerned about that P1299 code. :(

And it's the fans squealing?

Not that high pitched noise that is common to the vehicle when you turn it off?

Its squealing when you shutdown the car. It doesn't squeal when it's running. I think this is the first sign of the cooling fans starting to go.

the TSB says to replace fans id any of the following occurs:

1.- squealing at shutdown
2.- loss of AC cold air
3.- Overheat (duh!)

Last spring I was experiencing above symptom #1, but it went away by itself and unless the dealer can "reproduce" the issue, they won't swap them out. I feel my wife is driving a ticking bomb and one day she will call me stranded on the side of the road with an overheated engine!:mad:

I just had mine replaced for the Second time. I've had it since May 2011. Just had them replaced for 2nd time in 4/13. They made me pay for it. They have now said they are going to reimburse me but I haven't gotten anything yet. ford ales acted like they didn't know there was a problem.

I just had mine replaced for the Second time. I've had it since May 2011. Just had them replaced for 2nd time in 4/13. They made me pay for it. They have now said they are going to reimburse me but I haven't gotten anything yet. ford ales acted like they didn't know there was a problem.
If they were replaced under the TSB and you still have your warranty in effect (under the mileage), you shouldn't have had to pay anything.

Peter

If they were replaced under the TSB and you still have your warranty in effect (under the mileage), you shouldn't have had to pay anything.

Peter

Because it had been over a year (15 months to be precise), and I have over 50k on my car they didn't want to cover any of it. After many conversations with Ford, the agreed to pay part of it. However the person I was speaking to refused to admit they know of any issues with the fans. When she asked me if I needed anything else, I told her I would like to speak to a technician that could explain why this continued to occur and if the problem had been resolved yet as I feel as if the car could over heat at any time. She said that she would get back to me on that. That was 2 weeks ago. I would say the silence tells the story. They still haven't resolved the issue and they don't know how to fix it.

Did you have the "customer satisfaction" programming done? It was a reprogram of a chip that controls the engine. Supposedly it changes the timings of when the fan comes on and goes off such that the fan stays on longer - supposedly to keep dirt from building up on electrical contacts on the fans. That was supposedly the long term fix for the fan issue - not new fans.

Did you have the "customer satisfaction" programming done? It was a reprogram of a chip that controls the engine. Supposedly it changes the timings of when the fan comes on and goes off such that the fan stays on longer - supposedly to keep dirt from building up on electrical contacts on the fans. That was supposedly the long term fix for the fan issue - not new fans.
TSB 11-27-21 addresses the cooling fan issue. There have been many members who have had the cooling fans replaced, some more than once. The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36 came out later. Cooling fans may become inoperative due to contamination building up on the internal electrical contacts of the cooling fan motors. Technicians will reprogram the power control module (PCM) to prevent future contamination. Service will be provide free up to May 1, 2013.

Peter

Because it had been over a year (15 months to be precise), and I have over 50k on my car they didn't want to cover any of it. After many conversations with Ford, the agreed to pay part of it. However the person I was speaking to refused to admit they know of any issues with the fans. When she asked me if I needed anything else, I told her I would like to speak to a technician that could explain why this continued to occur and if the problem had been resolved yet as I feel as if the car could over heat at any time. She said that she would get back to me on that. That was 2 weeks ago. I would say the silence tells the story. They still haven't resolved the issue and they don't know how to fix it.

Hi Gwkeeler,

I want to look into this further. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll start researching.

Thanks,

Crystal

Just got the call from my Dealer that my cooling fans are INOP-- and the cost to replace would be 700.00 USD. I have a 2011 Explorer with 39xxx and just went over the 2 year mark on May 3rd 2013. I told my dealer that I had the Fan TSB looked at when I had it in for regular service; I was told this is not covered but they might be willing to work with me. I did some research and found TSB 12-10-3 and was told those are for information only...... What ..... I think TSB 12-10-3 covers this issue. I originally have my vehicle in the shop for an A/C problem which this 12-10-3 talks about. I think I need Some FORD Service intervention on this problem.

...I think I need Some FORD Service intervention on this problem.

I'm on the case, freddyzp! Shoot me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal

Frustrating AC issue with 11 Explorer LTD

The first issue I had with this car, which I purchased new in May 2011, was that the engine overheated while idling in DECEMBER in Michigan... very weird. We were told there was an "engineering letter" about a fan issue, so that was replaced. Later on I discovered there was a recall but felt like I'd been ahead of the wider known issue and was okay.

So far during this VERY hot summer, my AC has intermittently started blowing warm / hot air and I've been back to the dealership twice over this issue. The first time they "thought" it may be the fan again but didn't have a part in stock so I waited a week and took it back. They replaced the fan again since it has a new part number (different assembly?). This was on July 5. It's been fine until today - when it started doing the same thing once again. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It can happen when the car is at a lower speed, going down the interstate, upon start up... it can come back on in a few minutes, or many minutes later. It will blow very cold air and then just suddenly stop blowing cold air.

The only thing I can tell that's different is that the noise from under the hood seems a lot louder and there's an extra sound upon acceleration that's not normally there, during the periods when the AC is an issue.

I'm going to have to call the dealership once more and try to get this resolved, and I'm getting tired of it. I'm a mom, and I work 45 minutes from home - I don't want to have the engine overheat and leave my child / myself stranded somewhere with no one able to pick us up easily. And it's way too hot to have unreliable AC. I spent nearly $50k on this vehicle, and it's barely two years old. Coming from a Ford family who constantly urge other people to buy Ford, this is embarrassing and very frustrating when I am in the dealership with my vehicle more often than anyone else in my office, even those with very old used cars!

The dealership doesn't seem to know what's wrong and I'm ready for this to be fixed once and for all! Does anyone know of a solution? I'm really tempted to sell it and start over with a new car. Perhaps not even a Ford :(

The first issue I had with this car, which I purchased new in May 2011, was that the engine overheated while idling in DECEMBER in Michigan... very weird. We were told there was an "engineering letter" about a fan issue, so that was replaced. Later on I discovered there was a recall but felt like I'd been ahead of the wider known issue and was okay.

So far during this VERY hot summer, my AC has intermittently started blowing warm / hot air and I've been back to the dealership twice over this issue. The first time they "thought" it may be the fan again but didn't have a part in stock so I waited a week and took it back. They replaced the fan again since it has a new part number (different assembly?). This was on July 5. It's been fine until today - when it started doing the same thing once again. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It's can happen when the car is at a lower speed, going down the interstate, upon start up... it can come back on in a few minutes, or many minutes later. It will blow very cold air and then just suddenly stop blowing cold air.

The only thing I can tell that's different is that the noise from under the hood seems a lot louder and there's an extra sound upon acceleration that's not normally there, during the periods when the AC is an issue.

I'm going to have to call the dealership once more and try to get this resolved, and I'm getting tired of it. I'm a mom, and I work 45 minutes from home - I don't want to have the engine overheat and leave my child / myself stranded somewhere with no one able to pick us up easily. And it's way too hot to have unreliable AC. I spent nearly $50k on this vehicle, and it's barely two years old. Coming from a Ford family who constantly urge other people to buy Ford, this is embarrassing and very frustrating when I am in the dealership with my vehicle more often than anyone else in my office, even those with very old used cars!

The dealership doesn't seem to know what's wrong and I'm ready for this to be fixed once and for all! Does anyone know of a solution? I'm really tempted to sell it and start over with a new car. Perhaps not even a Ford :(

My sentiments exactly! In 1 1/2 yrs I have been in the dealership for service of the fans, MFT, Terrain management Fault, Bad driver's door speaker, Liftgate not opening and Liftgate reopening on it's own. I am completely fried with all the problems associated with this truck. Way to much money to spend on a vehicle and have this many issues. I should have just kept my 2004 Escape ........ At least you expect to repair an older vehicle, not a new one .......... And constantly at that! :mad:

My second cooling fan just died as well after the first was fixed under the TSB. I am in the same boat as a poster above. The dealer turned a blind eye to the issue and told me I needed to pay to have it replaced since I am over the 36k warranty. I told them to shove it and left. Ford is got a serious issue on there hands if the TSB fix didn't do anything to resolve the issue. I'm 2/2 now, at this rate I will need a new fan after every winter.

My second cooling fan just died as well after the first was fixed under the TSB. I am in the same boat as a poster above. The dealer turned a blind eye to the issue and told me I needed to pay to have it replaced since I am over the 36k warranty. I told them to shove it and left. Ford is got a serious issue on there hands if the TSB fix didn't do anything to resolve the issue. I'm 2/2 now, at this rate I will need a new fan after every winter.
No cost repairs for TSB's are only carried out as long as the factory warranty is in place. I confirmed that with my dealer over a year ago. I took out the ESP warranty because it was a new vehicle design and had so much electronics on board. In fact, I have taken out an extended warranty on all my last 5 vehicles. You may never need it but it offers peace of mind. Just like an insurance policy. I think Ford had a batch of bad cooling fan units. Similar incidents with the later models have dropped off sharply.
You will have to replace them or risk damaging the engine.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TSB 11-27-21 addresses the cooling fan issue. There have been many members who have had the cooling fans replaced, some more than once. The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36 came out later. Cooling fans may become inoperative due to contamination building up on the internal electrical contacts of the cooling fan motors. Technicians will reprogram the power control module (PCM) to prevent future contamination. Service will be provide free up to May 1, 2013.

Peter

Turns out they already have done this in April 2012 when I was having MFT / navigation updated. So that didn't fix the issue either. I called customer service and am awaiting a callback from a regional customer service rep for Ford. I have 9K left on my warranty and I'm asking for an extension on my warranty specifically for this issue. They're also supposed to have engineering be in touch with the dealership to see if they can help them troubleshoot the issue. I have to take the vehicle in this week and leave it with them for an extended period of time so they can try to track it down and resolve it. It's really a shame, I enjoy everything about this vehicle except for this problem and it makes me wonder / worry what else is going to pop up, especially after reading all the threads on other owner experiences.

Back