• Register Today It's free!

Transmission options

Scanner85

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Well my M50D-R1 has taken a **** for the third time in 12 months and I'm tired of putting money into it. I'm wondering if there are any other manual transmissions that will bolt up to the 4.0 V6 OHV engine? I've tried to search, but can't find anyone with the same setup. The two I have seen mentioned are the NV3550 from a late model Jeep TJ, or a Ford ZF-5. I still haven't been able to figure out for sure if either of these will work though. I'm just trying to figure out what to start checking the salvage yards for. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why and how are you breaking the m5?

No idea. I'm not doing anything crazy. Not even any offroad driving. Mostly all highway. Had no problems at all for about 182K, then it went out. and again at 196K. and again now at 208K.

What's "going out" in it?

The first time it needed a synchro assembly, 5th gear, and bearings. The second time it was the main input bearing and leaking slave cylinder. Slave cylinder had also been replaced once previously when a new clutch was installed.

The first time it needed a synchro assembly, 5th gear, and bearings. The second time it was the main input bearing and leaking slave cylinder. Slave cylinder had also been replaced once previously when a new clutch was installed.

Hmm I know the cheaper slaves don't last at all and heard bad things about cheap Chinese ebay parts. other than that i've never heard anything bad about the m5 with ford parts

Yeah you got something else going on in there (the M5OD is a rather decent transmission).

Maybe some metal residue left inside it is causing it to fail? Or maybe rebuild parts that are sub-par quality. Or there's an issue with your transmission case causing it (in which case it may be better to just get a whole new (used) trans from a junkyard).

the zf-5 wont fit behind a 4.0L. it does however fit behind 5.0l. i made the swap
IMG_4702_zps357d2deb.jpg

Back