Rear Side Window Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Side Window Leaking

gregross

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Has anyone had water come in the rear side window? I got my Ex in 4/11 and this is the first time it has happened after a big rain storm.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had water come in the rear side window? I got my Ex in 4/11 and this is the first time it has happened after a big rain storm.
Thanks
I've been on this forum for a year now and your post is the first one I can recall with this particular problem.

Are you talking about the 3rd row window?

I recall a thread discussing water near the 3rd row window and seatbelt anchor. It had to do with some sealant cracking, or something like that.

You might try searching for that thread to see if it applies to your circumstance.

I think I have this issue also. Need to take it in first

I took it to the dealer. Water was leaking in through the Ford emblem in the rear hatch. They couldn't find a leak directly on the right rear window or the roof rack. I couldn't get it to leak by taking it through a car wash. The theory is that when I opened the hatch the water ran through the hatch frame and into the car body via the conduit housing the wires. I just got the vehicle back and will wait and see what happens.

Water was leaking in through the Ford emblem in the rear hatch.

The rear emblem is just a stick on. At least that's what the body shop told me after a rear end collision repair

I had this issue on the driver side. The dealer fixed it, it had to do with the roof rack, it is not a leaky window issue.

The rear emblem is just a stick on. At least that's what the body shop told me after a rear end collision repair

Not according to the dealer whom I trust. They said there were alignment holes that were part of the leaking problem. Time will tell. It is a weird problem.

Rear pass water leak

We experienced a minor water leak from the right-side rear passenger side, specifically a small amount of water was leaking from the reading light right by the door. Had the dealer look at it and said they couldn't reproduce the issue.

Hasn't happened since, but I'm still a little skeptical that they corrected the issue but didn't divulge....

Tim

If this helps any, someone said their rear right passenger seatbelt had water coming down from it. Maybe their issue is the same as yours. Good luck with the leak.

2011 & 2013 Explorer Limited with water leaks in rear cargo area

We had a 2011 Limited that we just traded for a newer, 2013. The 2011 sprung a leak about a year after purchase, near the rear window and tailgate on the passenger side. After a hard rain, my kids noticed the headliner was soaked. My wife took it to the dealer and they could not find the leak. The next time it happened, she drove it back to the dealer. They had her later, bring it back to leave and took forever to find the leak, but they finally did after several days in the body shop. It was the passenger side, cargo window. They had to remove it and reseal it and that stopped the leak. Unfortunately, the technician never got all the air ducts feeding the rear vents realigned and the air never blew out of the rear vents again.

Fast forward to today... We have a new, 6 week old 2013 that we traded the old explorer in for and discovered this weekend, that it has a leak in the rear. I was hoping that Ford would have all the first model year kinks worked out by 2013, but apparently they have not gotten all the bugs squashed. Very disappointing. This time the leak is on the driver side, near the tailgate and rear window and the seat belt is soaking up the water as it runs down to whoever is sitting in the passenger side, rear seat. Cargo gets wet too. This explains why the left tail light has been fogged up with water since I brought it home. Just not had time to take it in yet. Will be taking it to the dealer thgis week.

I decided to search for these issues tonight and I was not surprised to see others with similar problems. This is BS quality!

...We have a new, 6 week old 2013 that we traded the old explorer in for and discovered this weekend, that it has a leak in the rear...

Hi parkersmith,

I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

I had my leak fixed last friday...same day repair. Their(dealer) leak repair guy found the leak at the 3rd row pass side. As mentioned earlier in this forum, there was a leak at the rear seam. They undid the headliner and resealed the area from inside and out. So far so good. No speaker damage was noted.

Back