Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
...I have over 13K on my new 2013 Limited and yes it's still there. However, I only experience at high RPM's like you mentioned...

Hi Ted,

Send me a PM with your information so I can look into some options to assist. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has plenty of power but I only have FWD.

tslate, I agree, when you go full throttle you get a lot of RPM and noise but not a real lot of extra movement. It seems much better to go about 3/4 throttle when you need this thing to move out, then it's in the meat of the power band and seems to accelerate pretty well and the engine sounds much better than at full throttle.

I agree with the unresponsive throttle issue. It often seems like it takes up to two seconds for the car to do anything when you step on it. I also feel it is a little under powered. You have to generate way too many rpms to keep it going 70 mph up even the slightest of grades. In my vehicle, when you're trying to keep up with Los Angeles traffic and going up some grades, you get the added benefit of inhaling your own exhaust. Quite the benefit. Thanks Ford.

I have now taken the Explorer to Al Tayer for the third time to get this smell problem fixed. Now they have extended the exhuast tail pipes by two inches. They have assured me that the smell will not be experienced again. Finger crossed! At least this way they admit that it was the exhuast fumes which were leaking inside the cabin.

I have now taken the Explorer to Al Tayer for the third time to get this smell problem fixed. Now they have extended the exhuast tail pipes by two inches. They have assured me that the smell will not be experienced again. Finger crossed! At least this way they admit that it was the exhuast fumes which were leaking inside the cabin.
I'd be very surprised if that worked but I wish you good luck.

Peter

I'd be very surprised if that worked but I wish you good luck.

Peter

I would be surprised also. My dealer here has worked closely with FORD Philippines to figure out a solution. Apparently, the back of the Explorer isn't completely sealed so the Exhaust smell is sucked in through those areas. My dealer has used sealants and patch seals to close off any areas that vacuum the smell.

But if extending the exhaust by 2" works, then it would be worth a shot in the future if the smell does creep back in.

Just noticed this problem in my 13 Sport. Definetly occurs at high RPMs/Accelration. It wouldn't be so bad if the smell didn't linger for a good 2-3 minutes in the cabin!

I picked up our 13 XLT 3.5 after having the dealer perform TSB 12.12.4.The TSB involves replacing the left rear vent valve under the bumper, installing two rubber check/flapper valves on the bottom of the lift gate, sealing the lines coming into the rear air conditioning evaporator unit and sealing all of the seams on the bottom of the rear of the vehicle. I stop short of saying that the problem is 100% repaired but I can definitely say that it is a far cry from what we had experienced before. Drove at low speed and opened it up, had a slight odor. On the highway at 60 passing gear to 80 WOT, no noticeable smell. I'm satisfied. I may do a little additional sealing my self and undercoat the unsightly off white sealer the dealer installed. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Just noticed this problem in my 13 Sport. Definetly occurs at high RPMs/Accelration. It wouldn't be so bad if the smell didn't linger for a good 2-3 minutes in the cabin!

Has anyone experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning ?

I had the TSB 12-12-4 performed on my '13 EX XLT and I still have the smell. It's definitely not a "rotten egg" smell, it smells like something is burning after hard acceleration. I had an '03 and a '98 previously and never had an issue like this. Not sure what to do next...

Has anyone experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning ?

You start to get headaches after a while. One time my mom got really sick and kept opening the window even thought it was cold out. Not a pleasant experience at all.

I had the TSB 12-12-4 performed on my '13 EX XLT and I still have the smell. It's definitely not a "rotten egg" smell, it smells like something is burning after hard acceleration. I had an '03 and a '98 previously and never had an issue like this. Not sure what to do next...

Hi RBev80,

I want to arrange a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager (CSM) so they'll be aware that your concern has returned. Send me a PM with your current mileage and daytime phone number; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Hi Crystal, I jumped the gun and sent you a PM already.

We are having the same burning smell problem under acceleration. Our local dealer told us that the smell was "normal"

We also brought it in for a creaking noise coming from the a pillar area. My wife was told today that they were doing some welding. I'm going there tomorrow to find out what exactly that means.

Thanks Crystal for getting things started for me.

The Explorer was in to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and the smell issue was confirmed by the Service Manager along with a couple of rattles. They also took two new Explorers off the lot and confirmed the same condition with them. The rattles were fixed and parts ordered to address the smell issue per TSB 12-12-4. Parts involved were Air Inlet/Extractor Grille, Mouldings and a Liftgate Auto Drain Valve along with Adhesive. They performed the replacement of these parts yesterday. They also verfied there was no Fuel leaking at this time, good to know. They test drove and reported that the repairs passed. However my test on the way home, verified to me that the repairs were not successful in correcting the issue. There also were an issue with repairs that caused a new issue with the backup alarm system. So back to the dealership today. They fixed the issue with backup alarm system, one of the sensers was not seated correctly and reopenned the issue related to the smell. They said that they would need to talk with Ford Engineers on what next steps to take. I am also giving it some time to see if the smell improves with a little time after the repairs.
I will update as we proceed.

I have scheduled mine to be looked at this Friday.

Thanks Crystal for getting things started for me.

The Explorer was in to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and the smell issue was confirmed by the Service Manager along with a couple of rattles. They also took two new Explorers off the lot and confirmed the same condition with them. The rattles were fixed and parts ordered to address the smell issue per TSB 12-12-4. Parts involved were Air Inlet/Extractor Grille, Mouldings and a Liftgate Auto Drain Valve along with Adhesive. They performed the replacement of these parts yesterday. They also verfied there was no Fuel leaking at this time, good to know. They test drove and reported that the repairs passed. However my test on the way home, verified to me that the repairs were not successful in correcting the issue. There also were an issue with repairs that caused a new issue with the backup alarm system. So back to the dealership today. They fixed the issue with backup alarm system, one of the sensers was not seated correctly and reopenned the issue related to the smell. They said that they would need to talk with Ford Engineers on what next steps to take. I am also giving it some time to see if the smell improves with a little time after the repairs.
I will update as we proceed.

My repair(s) (4 times with 3 different "fixes" for same issue now) were done 2 months ago, and the problem still exists. Any hard acceleration on highway ramp getting up to speed, or giving it "WOT" anytime. There is defiantly exhaust entering the cabin from the rear... They are sending a Service Tech Representative next week to verify the issue still is there, and hopefully getting me out of this POS for good. I have been contacted plenty by my CSR, so no need to check, Crystal. Thanks.

-ern

-ern

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the dealer said one of the TIBs didn't apply because my vehicle was built after the fix was applied in production. Then they said the other didn't apply because my vehicle wasn't equipped with the right equipment ( auxiliary climate control?.??)

They couldn't replicate it, so I tried to do it with one of their guys riding with me, but couldn't get it to happen.

Back