Water Leak | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi Ott23,

The best way for me to get information into the hands of our engineers is through case escalations. This data is valuable to determine trends and to identify solutions; the more information I can get into their hands, the better. I know that multiple service visits are frustrating, but I'm confident that your dealership is doing all they can to assist. If you need additional assistance, you can contact our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

2 years of data isn't enough? I'm in the engineering world, I can pull a trend out of data in about 2 weeks. The thing is, we're just the people that are conversing about it on a public forum. I can promise you there are MANY other people out there that are either having the issue and obviously aren't on a forum discussing it, or don't even realize they have the problem because they live in a dry climate or just plain don't use the back of their vehicle as much as some of us. Class action......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, my Explorer has been in the shop for two weeks. I was supposed to pick it up today and I get a call from the Service Manager saying, they're not confident they fixed the issue and would like to keep it a few more days.

The Service Manager now thinks it could be leaking on the driver's side too. Getting furiously annoyed now.

water leak near 3rd row

After massive rainstorm I noticed water and a wet shoulder belt near the passengers side 3rd row. I will bring in to dealer soon. 2011 LTD. Any ideas?

Check the "Search" files. There are several reported similar cases. As I recall the main leak is the seam around the rear hatch hinges.......Go to page 2, there is about an 8 page post on Water Leaks.....

After massive rainstorm I noticed water and a wet shoulder belt near the passengers side 3rd row. I will bring in to dealer soon. 2011 LTD. Any ideas?

Hi sgparnes,

Going to the dealership is a great idea to get this repaired. I want to hear about how your appointment goes; be sure to touch base when you get a diagnosis from your service tech.

Crystal

Make sure you check the carpet under the spare tire cover. Mine was soaked, matter of fact, the dealer replaced the carpet, spare tire cover and made two attempts to fix the leak.

Just got it back yesterday after being at the dealer for 2 weeks. We'll see if it's fixed.

Mines been in twice and still leaks. Did make an interesting discovery though. I think more explorers leak than people know. I'll post up pics and a way to help test it.

We had rain today and it leaked, again. I will be taking the explorer back to the dealership. It seems to be leaking from the same area (driver side rear corner window area). Cannot seem to be able to narrow it down unless the quarter panel by the rear gets removed by the dealership. I hope none of the writing in that area gets affected. Has anyone been able to get resolution on this?

Ford Customer Service Rep,
Do you know of any data that you have on this issue that can be shared? Possible areas/ resolutions from others that had the issue resolved? Thanks!

look here - possible this is connected?

It seems some new Explorers have poor or questionable external seals on the back of the passenger windows. (see posts and pics)

Check your leak area, -any connection?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384858

If water leaks in from the outside thru gaps in these seals, it may not show easily.

I have washed my car twice and have not noticed anything, used the Touchless car wash - the water jets roll around the car and really do spray right on this area...
dont know if there are water channels behind these, ... its likely these seals should not be flapping in the breeze...

Took mine in and they said it shouldn't leak again. Keeping my fingers cross.
SAM_3279_zpsc7238d9a.jpg

Crossed my fingers too soon. Had some rain last night and its still leaking. This is kinda frustrating.

For whatever reason, it seems that light steady rain makes it through, yet a hose spray doesn't. Ours leaked last night with our first rain in weeks. We went back 10x to get it fixed already. And now it'll be 11. A Ford engineer looked at it. Why he hasn't contacted the manager on the line so that newer models don't have this problem is beyond me.

New owner major leak issues....

We just bought a gorgeous fully loaded 2011 Explorer Limited from a local dealer day before yesterday. (5-7-2013). I am a Ford Person, and already have a 2011 Mustang GT. I have owned so many ford products I have lost count, and never had any problems with the vehicles. I love the new Explorer design and kind of talked my wife into trading her Buick Enclave, (don't i look bad now lol) which has been having a few serious problems of its own, for the Explorer. Well, last night I lifted the rear cover for the spare and was shocked to see about an inch of water in the wheel well, as well as everything was totally soaked through and through. I peeked into the wheel well when we were looking at it to see if the spare was in there, but didn't notice any water, or soaked carpet and padding. (That was last Saturday) and we had some rain and thunderstorms since then up to the night we bought it. I am concerned the leak is huge and accumulates water substantially. There is rust on the spare, jack, and when i peer down the sides of the rear seats inside the panels I can see significant rust on the thick hinge or cross member and brackets the third row seats rotate on. The explorer is otherwise immaculate and has only 17000 miles on it. I was dumbfounded to see the water and I found this thread after doing a search on leaking explorers. Now we are very distraught and concerned, and my longtime confidence in Ford is wavering after reading some of these threads. And the joy and novelty of owning a new to us vehicle is gone. I am assuming at this point the previous owners dumped the vehicle with such low miles because they couldn't resolve the leaking problems. Has anyone had any recent developments in resolving their leak issues? I am concerned that even with the low miles, with it being a 2011, that the factory warranty may have already expired. I am going to find out today. Any advice or input is very welcome. Thanks!!!

We just bought a gorgeous fully loaded 2011 Explorer Limited from a local dealer day before yesterday. (5-7-2013). I am a Ford Person, and already have a 2011 Mustang GT. I have owned so many ford products I have lost count, and never had any problems with the vehicles. I love the new Explorer design and kind of talked my wife into trading her Buick Enclave, (don't i look bad now lol) which has been having a few serious problems of its own, for the Explorer. Well, last night I lifted the rear cover for the spare and was shocked to see about an inch of water in the wheel well, as well as everything was totally soaked through and through. I peeked into the wheel well when we were looking at it to see if the spare was in there, but didn't notice any water, or soaked carpet and padding. (That was last Saturday) and we had some rain and thunderstorms since then up to the night we bought it. I am concerned the leak is huge and accumulates water substantially. There is rust on the spare, jack, and when i peer down the sides of the rear seats inside the panels I can see significant rust on the thick hinge or cross member and brackets the third row seats rotate on. The explorer is otherwise immaculate and has only 17000 miles on it. I was dumbfounded to see the water and I found this thread after doing a search on leaking explorers. Now we are very distraught and concerned, and my longtime confidence in Ford is wavering after reading some of these threads. And the joy and novelty of owning a new to us vehicle is gone. I am assuming at this point the previous owners dumped the vehicle with such low miles because they couldn't resolve the leaking problems. Has anyone had any recent developments in resolving their leak issues? I am concerned that even with the low miles, with it being a 2011, that the factory warranty may have already expired. I am going to find out today. Any advice or input is very welcome. Thanks!!!
Welcome to the Forum cncsportrider.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about your water leak issue. I can see how that would take the edge of the enjoyment of owning a new to you vehicle. This issue should be addressed by your dealer as I'm sure they would have offered some kind of warranty with the purchase. Even if they did not, I believe the vehicle is covered by a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty that should cover this. The info as to what is covered and what is not is contained in the Warranty Guide that should have come along with the Owner's Guide. Depending on where the actual leak is, members have had various degrees of success with repairs.
I suggest that you go back and see the dealer as soon as possible to get this resolved. Should you run into any problems with them, you can send a private message to Crystal (FordCustSrvc), a Ford rep who monitors this Forum to see if she can help expedite this concern. See post #103, page 6 in this thread for the info she will required
Good luck.

Peter

...Well, last night I lifted the rear cover for the spare and was shocked to see about an inch of water in the wheel well, as well as everything was totally soaked through and through...

Hi cncsportrider,

As Peter said, stopping by your dealership should be next on your to-do list. They'll perform an inspection and discuss next steps. Let me know when you get a diagnosis; if you need additional assistance, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

...I suggest that you go back and see the dealer as soon as possible to get this resolved. Should you run into any problems with them, you can send a private message to Crystal (FordCustSrvc), a Ford rep who monitors this Forum to see if she can help expedite this concern...

Great advice, Peter! :)

Crystal

Thanks folks,

I went to the dealer and they couldn't see the vehicle. he soonest they said I could get an appointment was after the 20th of May. The service advisor said he had never heard of any leaking problems in the new Explorer design. He looked in the computer did a query on both SSMS and TSBS and it reported back that Ford has not reported any problems with the symptoms of water leaking into the passenger area or the Cargo/bed area. I don't understand why Ford has no reports regarding this issue, and yet all this activity here with people having this problem with their vehicles, as well as us with our new vehicle. I pulled the drain plugs in the tub to drain the water and set the cover out in the sun to dry with towels under it. It is ruined. I also put towels under the carpet to help draw the water out of the carpet. After drying the spare tire tub I powdered the whole tub with baby powder to hopefully catch the tracks of the water so I can at least isolate which side is leaking. I am hoping to help the dealer in their diagnostic if I can at least point them in some direction. I also noticed the outer seal at the top of the door that seals the hatch to the roofline is broken off and hanging by only about 8 inches of double back tape. This is outside the hatch seal so I don't know how much it affects the leak, but it has allowed debris (leaves etc) to run down the outer channel around the hatch and then accumulate inside the rubber seal of the tail light assembly. There is a gap there between the rubber of the seal and the body on both right and left taillight assemblies. Jammed full of that debris. Not sure where the water and debris goes once entering that spot, but it doesn't exit the bottom end of the seal.

Crystal, I am sending the info you requested.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks folks,

I went to the dealer and they couldn't see the vehicle. he soonest they said I could get an appointment was after the 20th of May. The service advisor said he had never heard of any leaking problems in the new Explorer design. He looked in the computer did a query on both SSMS and TSBS and it reported back that Ford has not reported any problems with the symptoms of water leaking into the passenger area or the Cargo/bed area. I don't understand why Ford has no reports regarding this issue, and yet all this activity here with people having this problem with their vehicles, as well as us with our new vehicle. I pulled the drain plugs in the tub to drain the water and set the cover out in the sun to dry with towels under it. It is ruined. I also put towels under the carpet to help draw the water out of the carpet. After drying the spare tire tub I powdered the whole tub with baby powder to hopefully catch the tracks of the water so I can at least isolate which side is leaking. I am hoping to help the dealer in their diagnostic if I can at least point them in some direction. I also noticed the outer seal at the top of the door that seals the hatch to the roofline is broken off and hanging by only about 8 inches of double back tape. This is outside the hatch seal so I don't know how much it affects the leak, but it has allowed debris (leaves etc) to run down the outer channel around the hatch and then accumulate inside the rubber seal of the tail light assembly. There is a gap there between the rubber of the seal and the body on both right and left taillight assemblies. Jammed full of that debris. Not sure where the water and debris goes once entering that spot, but it doesn't exit the bottom end of the seal.

Dan
Dan, here a partial note from a reply a posted in another thread.
Perhaps this answers your question on 'where it goes'.

It runs back and flows down the inside if the rear hatch and then disappears under the black molding attached to the rear lights and then mysteriously runs out from under the bumper.

Peter

...Ford Customer Service Rep,
Do you know of any data that you have on this issue that can be shared? Possible areas/ resolutions from others that had the issue resolved? Thanks!

Hi tony89,

Since I'm not a mechanic, I can't act as a technical resource. Your best bet will be to reach out to your dealership's service manager.

...Crystal, I am sending the info you requested...

Thanks, Dan! I'll keep an eye on my inbox for your message.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal,

I have been in contact with the dealership. Would it not be wise for Ford Dealership to have some sort of database that collects vehicle data (i.e. water leaks) to determine extent of issue? Additionally, if a dealership resolves the issue, other dealerships can pull from the database and be able to apply a possible solution to a similar issue. It seems that in this thread alone you have several similar issues that have been seen by dealerships with or no resolution. It's all about efficiency and effectiveness. I would think ford knows this as this approach is already taken when vehicles get recalled. As a customer service rep, beside referring us to the dealership (which we all know we should do), what other support can you provide that can resolve our issue.

Back