• Register Today It's free!

Big problem , need some help

Rich91

Reaction score
City, State
Sunrise, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
So i redid my entire front end this past weekend, upper and lower control arms , shocks , wheel baring , pads and rotors, tie rods , and sway bar links. The problem comes from the torsion bars , i when i re installed them and maxed out my bolts my ride height went down to where now my wheels rub on my bumper and rear fender well . before instillation they did not rub at all . so i thought i mixed up the torsion bar location, so when i went to go and turn the bar it put the key at a rediculous angle to where i cant put the puller back on it to crank it back up. so im not sure what happened cause i marked the torsion bars so they would go back in the same way they came out. could it be possible that my bars are just so bad that this happened ? also the shocks i put in , could this have an effect on ride height , i put in procomp es3000. i noticed the stock shocks spring back to full extension while these did not , they stayed compressed to what ever length i pull it too.

so has this happened to anyone and is there a page someone can direct me too for torsion bar re-instillation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did alittle reading , i think i indexed the torsion bars wrong. any ideas on what the proper way to fix this is?

no i re installed them properly. i did one side of the truck at a time . i re installed it the same way it came out but i feel like my ride height has went down . my tires rub really bad on the bumper and rear fender. but my now my alignment is way off , could this be the reason for the rubing ?

By chance did you use Raybestos lower control arms? There was another member on here who used Raybestos Pro Grade ones, and had problems with the torsion bars not fitting in the hex location, due to the hex in the LCA being way too big. Check the front of your LCAs and see if they fit tight in the hex there.

Edit: Check out this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3001907#post3001907

yep that's whats i bought and that is the problem i have. sooooooo what should i get to replace them. its been too long since i bought them to try and return them. which should i get in there place ? moog ? or try ford ?

Moog is always a good choice. Just make sure to grease your lower ball joints. Lots of people that complain about Moog don't grease their stuff before driving it again and wonder why they fail.

Back