Removing Roof rack cross bars

c.mike

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey guys, I have a question that should be fairly simple to answer, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up my truck before I remove the cross rails on my roof rack. I think it would look better without the cross rails, however, when I pull them loose, there are still the things they screw to left in the tracks on the roof. How do I get those out? Its baffling to me what to do. It seems the end cap comes off, but I can't tell for sure and don't want to mess something up. Thanks in advance for any help yall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The anchors should slide out the end of the rail when the tab on the end of the rail is depressed to allow the anchor to exit.

Benji- What tab at the end of the rail are you referring to? I still cannot figure out how to get the anchors out. I appreciate your time to help me.

I went out to look at mine, and did not see anything to depress. I hope someone can give you and I some information on how to remove them. I have never used the top rack, and do not plan to.

I'm glad I am not the only one who can't figure it out. I thought it would be a lot more simple to do than this

I will give you directions on how I took mine off. since you have everything off except for those stupid lil metal pieces I will get to that. Slide those lil metal tabs all the way to the front of your rails. Then look at the rails their is a screw at the very front of both rails holding them to the roof. It is a fat Philips type screw. Remove that screw then take the plastic end caps and slide them off the end of the rails and slide the metal pieces off. (DO NOT TRY TAKING OFF THE END CAPS WITHOUT FIRST REMOVING THE ONE SCREW AT THE FRONT OF EACH RAIL) Then once all the metal tabs are out and the rails are clean put the plastic end caps back on and then screw the front of the rails back down.

It might sound like a lot but it seriously should take you like 3 minutes. Hope this helps.

EEDIT: when you have the screws out those end caps might be a lil stuck. Just treat it like a women; first give it a lil rub and then a nice lil wack that'll get er excited and movin. lol

Thank you for your help. Sounds easy. will there be a need to silicone around the screw so the rack doesn't leak into the cab?

Thank you for your help. Sounds easy. will there be a need to silicone around the screw so the rack doesn't leak into the cab?

Nope not at all it is designed so you can take those screws out easily to remove the rails for cleaning. Without leaking. The stuff that can get stuck under those rails can really oxidize the clear coat. Wow how obsessive do I sound when I talk about removing the rails for cleaning. :eek:

well now that you mention it, I might go ahead and clean under them if I have them loose. gotta have a clean vehicle!!

i know it's an old thread but for anybody that has taken the rails off. It's pretty easy to take off the rails and reinstall them once they've been removed once or should I use lock tight for the screws for the rails after taking them off?

Hey guys, I have a question that should be fairly simple to answer, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up my truck before I remove the cross rails on my roof rack. I think it would look better without the cross rails, however, when I pull them loose, there are still the things they screw to left in the tracks on the roof. How do I get those out? Its baffling to me what to do. It seems the end cap comes off, but I can't tell for sure and don't want to mess something up. Thanks in advance for any help yall.
You just push the tab down inside the rail, loosen the gear looking screws and slide it out to the back

Back