More locker questions for 01 Sport.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More locker questions for 01 Sport..

ExpSprtGi

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I found a Powertrax (ptx 2309-LR) locker on the 4 Wheel Parts site and I am trying to figure out if it will fit my truck. It says it is 27 spline, for open diferentials, and non c-clip applications. I only know that my truck has 3.73 gears (from the original window sticker). Is a 27 spline unit what I need? How can I confirm that I have an open diff rather than a limited slip from the factory? Is the Ex a non c-clip application? Any help is appreciated, the person I tried to speak with at my nearest 4 Wheel Parts store was less than helpful and didn't seem interested in trying to help my figure out exactly what I needed. My original intent was to install the front axle, but after a bit more reading I am thinking rear axle instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks both....very helpful!

Yes, that truetrac Limited slip would fit too but it doesn't give you the traction of a locking differential. It is still a limited slip BUT it doesn't use clutches..

~Mark

Is there an easy way to verify that my existing differential is open, and not a factory limited slip? (I assume I can have the dealer look it up based upon VIN#?)

Look at the sticker in the door jamb. there is a number code under "axle". What is it?

Axle code says 46.

You might also check out the Spartan locker. Some improvements to the aussie/lockrite design, and it comes with a hardened crosspin and even a new crosspin retaining bolt. You can get it for less than 300 shipped from rockauto if you use the 5% forum discount. It's for open diffs.

How difficult is the install of the aussie locker?
I have never installed a locker. Any special tools, machining, or welding needed?

Back