Hockey Pucks..Do they Last? Aluminum? Ranger Body Mounts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hockey Pucks..Do they Last? Aluminum? Ranger Body Mounts

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I'm needing to do a 1" body lift on my Ranger for a couple reasons..

1) A bit more tire clearance would help without a full body lift
2) A little more room for the Atlas

..I know a number of members in the past have done several variations of 1", sloped, on up to 3" body lifts.

..I'm leaning toward the hockey pucks for the 1" body lift as it is cheap, they are already black, and I am hoping with the dryness and heat of the Southwest won't make them disintegrate..

..And it's not like the Anaheim Ducks are using them for anything..:rolleyes:

..As always, any and all info and links appreciated...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hockey pucks aren't built to take the pressure or load of that much weight shifting around, especially off road. You're better off finding universal lift pucks and cutting them to what you need.

I consider GJarrett to be the expert on the hockey puck body lift since he was the first one I know of that had limited success with them on a RBV.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1312405&postcount=5

I wouldnt do it. I would spend the money on the plastic/nylon lift pucks and cut them in half or buy aluminum pucks. Aluminum is more expensive but I dont have any worries of them breaking. Just 1 of many places that sell the aluminum pucks - http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=174 I think mine are 3" OD, not sure what those are.

...Anyone have any leads on body mounts?

...I need to replace mine at the same time and one of my parts sources just quoted $500 plus the bed mounts from Motorcraft.. or $120 a piece for just the upper cab mounts..:eek:

...I wish it were that easy...:(

...I have Energy on speed dial and verified with them after 4WP said they don't have one for my Ranger...

...IIRC, they said they have yet to make one for the 85-97 Rangers ...:eek:

...there is another company I know that does make them so I will have to order them in..

...I wish it were that easy...:(

...I have Energy on speed dial and verified with them after 4WP said they don't have one for my Ranger...

...IIRC, they said they have yet to make one for the 85-97 Rangers ...:eek:

...there is another company I know that does make them so I will have to order them in..

Check with Daystar.

Check with Daystar.

...That's a negative with Daystar also...

...There is a company by me Prothane.com that says they have them...

...I went to order them thru 4WP at 12:05 today and Prothane close at 12 on Fridays...:banghead:

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6106

That is cheap.

I have a set of Daystar bushings on the way from Obie. I think worn out bushings contributed to my oopsie last weekend so hopefully new ones raise it slightly and stiffen it up.

Doing those + the 1" pucks at the same time is a good idea.

Just replaced my body mounts with Prothanes a couple months back. I think I paid around $50 for the set on Amazon.

i have had hockey pucks on my core support for 3 years. in Utah's dry heat summers/below zero winters. so far so good.

let me add that when I was considering this. the cheapest hockey pucks I could find were $14.00 each. and each sporting goods store only had like 1-2 in stock.

I would have needed 10 of them total for each isolator. and financially that actually is not anywhere cheaper than buying the right parts

and I would have been running around to every store in town to gather enough of them

us Canadians throw out hockey pucks every spring,:D:D:D:D

we never use them for body bushings , cause they split too easy,,

maybe check the junkyard for a Ranger with good body mounts,, i am pretty sure there should be some,,

..I was keeping in touch with this thread on my phone today so looking thru all of these posted links were impossible..

..But now that I'm at my computer I've got my Super powers back and can search..:biggthump

In my opinion I would do something like this
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312012

You could do 1.5" with the 3" blocks. or do 1" with 2" blocks. For the price you cant beat it.

...I'll look at that as soon as I get a chance..;)

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6106

That is cheap.

I have a set of Daystar bushings on the way from Obie. I think worn out bushings contributed to my oopsie last weekend so hopefully new ones raise it slightly and stiffen it up.

Doing those + the 1" pucks at the same time is a good idea.

..:scratch:..Maybe...But it had nothing to do with you scraping off some paint of every skid plate and piece of armor you have installed..:p:

Just replaced my body mounts with Prothanes a couple months back. I think I paid around $50 for the set on Amazon.

..Tell us what you think, how many mounts, and what was included in your box for a Supercab Ranger?

..My price thru 4WP will be the same or pretty close to your Amazon purchase..

let me add that when I was considering this. the cheapest hockey pucks I could find were $14.00 each. and each sporting goods store only had like 1-2 in stock.

I would have needed 10 of them total for each isolator. and financially that actually is not anywhere cheaper than buying the right parts

and I would have been running around to every store in town to gather enough of them

..I stopped by a random Hockey store near me and picked one up...0.96 with tax out the door so under 12 bucks for 12 pucks..:dunno:

IMG_20130517_171312.jpg

..Your post confused me today as I deal with the Energy Suspension MFG...
http://energysuspension.com/

Now that I can see your link and go to it on my computer, your "Energy Suspension Parts" is a retailer who sells the Prothane bushings, not "Energy Suspension"..:confused:

us Canadians throw out hockey pucks every spring,:D:D:D:D

we never use them for body bushings , cause they split too easy,,

maybe check the junkyard for a Ranger with good body mounts,, i am pretty sure there should be some,,

..It's hard to go against a Canadian when it comes to hockey pucks, eh?..:D

..As for Rangers and JY's by me, rots a ruk..I have to drive down to San Diego in hopes of finding anything similar for my Ranger if it don't come on a first gen X also..:(

..Rangers like the X also use the 3" pucks, correct?

..The reason I ask is, I don't think they use the 2" O.D. size but since you posted it I could be wrong...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Tell us what you think, how many mounts, and what was included in your box for a Supercab Ranger?

..My price thru 4WP will be the same or pretty close to your Amazon purchase..

I like them, a lot less movement between the body and cage now but there is still some. Prothane gives you a complete set of uppers and lowers for each mount and reuse all your old hardware. For some reason the rear lower mounts were a 1/4" taller than the stockers...all the rest matched up height wise.

I want to say I paid $47 so not much difference than what you are finding.

Back