• Register Today It's free!

tire/rim/offset question

breanne

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac xlt 4x4
Another rim/tire question again, but I'm not sure whether i want to run 16's or 15's on my 03 ST. i originally wanted 285/75/16's but my dads friend has 15'' rims off an old 98 explorer limited i can use for now instead of my awful factory rims i have. I don't want to go any smaller then 33's and the only thing is i'm not sure of the offset or how that works so i need help. In Winnipeg, if your tire sticks out its illegal and i don't mind it sticking out a bit, but depending how far it is i don't want to get pulled over a lot since they're strict on modified vehicles. How much will my tire stick out with these 15's??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't give any info on rims.

Well all I know is that they're from a 98 explorer limited. They're 15" and in good shape, I don't know any other info on them so I was hoping someone here knew more and could help.

Well If the are 15" aluminum factory rims the probably wont fit on the ST

Well If the are 15" aluminum factory rims the probably wont fit on the ST

Okay thanks. I just could get them for a good price or maybe free so that's why I was wondering. Thanks for the help

The bolt pattern is the same, but the 15" rims won't clear the disc brakes on the Sport Trac.

factory 15" aluminum rims off older gen sploders will not fit over the larger brakes we have on the trac. only 15" rims that work well is steel ones cragar soft 8's are one i can name off hand and for those wheels they need a 3.75" or 4" backspace. best option if you want factory look go with 16" aluminums those will fit no problem and the 16" aluminum wheels from sport tracs, sports, explorers, mountaineers, and rangers will all work no prob.

some quick key numbers.

stock wheel on the trac is 16"X7" many here get the steel 15"X8" rim with a 3.75" or 4" backspace and they clear the brakes

I made the mistake of buying some 15" alloys off a 99 ranger for my 2001 ST. Yeah the bolt pattern works but they don't clear the front calipers. I'll be trying to find a set of 16" wheels off a newer explorer. I won't be buying anothe set of wheels without testing them for fit though

Back