where is the AIT sensor??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where is the AIT sensor???

it sounds like you bought an ebay chip aka resistor.

The theory behind it is that on a dodge or mitsubishi they have an intake air sensor that is an independent sensor in the intake. it also doesn;t have a ground to it. the resitor gives it a fixed value when you insert the resistor into the harness for the Iat Sensor. that's a horrible description but I've played around with them in my dodge.

On my contours I had wired an adjustable potentiao meter inline with the Iat but it didnlt do much except kill milliege.

the theroy is the engine sees the colder air and increases fuel and timing to compensate but it usually doesn;t get you that much more timing and too much fuel.

you can get resistrs in a pack of 5 for 1.99 at radio shack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al is right, you unfortunately bought a very expensice turd.

I would pitch it and count your losses.

MONMIX said:
Al is right, you unfortunately bought a very expensice turd.

I would pitch it and count your losses.

not just yet...

I was lucky enough that company/people behind the product offered to return the $$$ if nothing else worked (i think i'm at that point already)... we'll see when it really comes down to it if i'll get some $$$ back...

i will not attempt to install anymore... i think it was shown that the install procedure was done on the right sensor, following step-by-step instructions as well as rescue sequence and still nothing worked...

I'll email 20horsepower.com regarding a $$$ return...

btw http://www.20horsepower.com is the site where is got the item from (i don' call it a chip cuz i don't know what it is...)

Question

Maybe this will help you.

I will take a picture of the actual plug in a few minutes.

I found the diagram of the MAF you posted and I was wondering if you could perhaps answer a question for me. As per the diagram, obviously the first cable is the IAT sensor, but is the larger red cable the power or is that the MAF sensor? The diagram makes it appear as though that is the MAF sensor, not the power. Which cable is the power? Any help would be great. Thanks.

i think all those scams on ebay are funny, and i think its funnier that after some one gets the product and they see they got some cheap little resister that they think it will really work. its just kind of like those magnets you put on your fuel line that give you better gas mileage, or the tornado air management system thats like that. You know if there was a cheaper way to make these chips and stuff jet, sct, hypertech and all the other real companies would be out of business.

I had a guy try to sell me one of these "chips" today. He wanted $50 for it!
I was of course skeptical as I always am unless I've done lots of research.
What I've found is that it's nothing more than a resistor. This resistor causes a voltage drop in the circuit with the IAT (esentially a thermistor). When ECU reads the voltage it thinks the air is cold so it boost the amount of fuel going into the engine. Whether or not you think it's a good idea is up to you, but as others have said, just go get a resistor at radio shack.

Here's an article I found useful regarding thins mod:
http://www.angelfire.com/home/SH0ckforce/FakeMods/IAT/IAT_Debunked.html

only way to get real useable horsepower electricaly is with a real tune or doin something to your distributor or coil packs etc etc. Sorry to burst your bubble. but the SCT tuners are not that badly priced if you think about what you are getting with it. what are they like 250-300 maybe.

If those resistors really made good horsepower think how many of us would have straight raped the electrical aisle at home depot. lol

Why you guys revive and argue with an 8 year old thread? Most of the people who posted in this thread are no longer active members...

who is arguing looked more like the guy above me made a statement and I made a joke. What does it matter to you anyway.

I'm not arguing either. I was making a statement. I was looking for information about this mod and found this thread. I thought I'd post the link I found for anybody else that might come across this "chip" and want to understand how it worked and whether it was actually a good idea.
Why are you complaining about me adding to an 8 year old thread for the benefit of current and future users?

eehh get used to it FIND is on here all day long commenting and telling everybody they are wrong. he is like the hall monitor of explorer forum (or so he thinks).

Quit acting like a child. What was your last contribution to this forum anyway? *****ing about me? How many posts do you have to make complaining about me? Seriously, your last group of posts were complaining because I told you you were wrong about something and you didn't think that was fair. I think I've told you this before, but if you don't like reading what I have to say, click the ignore button or complain to a moderator. Seriously, 2 posts in a row just to project some kind of fantasy on me because you are embarrassed?

I'm not arguing either. I was making a statement. I was looking for information about this mod, found this thread. I thought I'd post the link I found for anybody else that might come across this "chip" and want to understand how it worked and whether it was actually a good idea.
Why are you complaining about me adding to an 8 year old thread for the benefit of current and future users?

I was just confused about why you were putting this stuff in this 8 year old thread, or how you found it.

Hahaha. Next time I find information in an old thread and feel I need to add to it, I'll just search until I find a more resent one and post my comments and links there instead, so everybody is happy.

Just saying, normal forum etiquette is to leave threads like this dead unless you have something really important to update people on. Plus, the way you were responding, it didn't appear that you knew this thread was that old. You seemed to have been responding to the earlier posters in this thread, many of whom are no longer active on this board.

I think it's probably this forum's etiquette to stick to the original topic and not digress about etiquette.

Quit acting like a child. What was your last contribution to this forum anyway? *****ing about me? How many posts do you have to make complaining about me? Seriously, your last group of posts were complaining because I told you you were wrong about something and you didn't think that was fair. I think I've told you this before, but if you don't like reading what I have to say, click the ignore button or complain to a moderator. Seriously, 2 posts in a row just to project some kind of fantasy on me because you are embarrassed?

I was just confused about why you were putting this stuff in this 8 year old thread, or how you found it.

Me embarrassed because of you ahahahaha. You tried to correct me just so you could be the one to have something to say. Just cause you shoot everybody else down doesn't mean you are the only person who has anything to contribute to this forum. I also went back and looked at some of your posts and found a few posts stating some of the same facts that I was saying about low end torque on the explorers. I am not here to argue with you and I have only made one other complaint about you because you seem to find me on here and correct me even when I am just making a joke.

How did me making a joke about raping the home depot isle for resistors negate you getting on here and commenting. Did your comment contribute anything positive at all. I made a simple joke and you came on here talking about people arguing. No one made a single argumentative statement.

Its ok cause I am not the only person you rub the wrong way on this forum. I see you are actually arguing over simple cold air intakes with a few people on another thread. Why does it matter. You contribute something and when somebody says something to the slightest contrary you have a little fit and then start trying to get all technical and tell everybody how you have a background in engineering and all this nonsense.
Should I get on here and talk about being a certified Toyota/lexus mechanic and then tell everbody because of that I am the only one to know anything.

All you have to say to defend yourself against all the times you argue with somebody on here is that you are trying to save someone the money or trouble of wasting time on something that doesn't work.

Be happy we live in a country where we have the luxury to waste money on performance parts at all whether they work or not. You don't have to save everybody from going broke here on the forum.

(When you contribute something and people don't want to listen why do you get so defensive?)

Ok, lemme know how that all works out for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's probably this forum's etiquette to stick to the original topic and not digress about etiquette.

Oh my god that was the best thing I read ever. FIND talks about forum etiquette when he goes around arguing with everybody on here. I think when we are little kids our parents teach us not to argue with everybody. Sounds like someone didn't listen.

hahahaha telling me to tattle to a moderator I don't need anybody to defend me against the likes of you.

Back