Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 192 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

we'll see how long this lasts. 100 % welded, even to the muffler, hate clamps. Probably after it gets knocked off i'll have to find a way to snake it through the links. No problem when sitting level, it's when it articulates.

Exhaust zoom.jpg

:d

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may just have something there lol. The diesel guys would love it especially if the stacks were about 10" diameter. Then turn the mixture screws so it runs super rich.

37cb7fbf-f84f-4569-a908-21ad965799d4_zpsb273e957.jpg

Now to start on the other side (driver). Going to do something about whats left of the inner wheelwell. Never did like it plus it was a trap for all kinds of dirt and such. Crap got stuck between the wheelwell and the bulkhead. Going to trash it altogether and later make a custom one.

d79cf1b6-deb3-47c2-b661-c7a507587c6d_zpsd3288ce3.jpg

bcde0cc6-0bc5-4e09-8e57-7c6c0487f40f_zps69c79f32.jpg

Gone. May make the new ones more square like and also attach directly to the bulkhead with no way for crap to lay and cause a rust problem.

SAM_0105_zps68b8fd7d.jpg

Now to stretch the driver side. Too bad that I have to cover part of the gas door. This is where I kept the flexible air hose. Oh well.

You may just have something there lol. The diesel guys would love it especially if the stacks were about 10" diameter. Then turn the mixture screws so it runs super rich.

if you put a stack on Samson i'm gonna fly there and slap you in the mouth

if you put a stack on Samson i'm gonna fly there and slap you in the mouth

No need, my kids would disown me!

3dc9b3bb-1c48-4581-8909-91fb8e71c45d.jpg

SAM_0110.jpg

Still need to trim some of that hanging sheet metal where I extended it. Also it really needs another pair of those V supports along with some paint before this east coast humidity starts the rust thing going. One thing the flash on the camera really makes the paint look like crap. Once it's painted I'll take some pics outside, that's if the rain stops.

35875186-ad36-4c59-8d04-a6bd056145d3.jpg

Next will be the demolishing of the inner fenderwell on the pass. side along with relocating the OBA tank. It was connected to the stock inner fender.
After that I'll start planning how to box in around those tires.

body mods to fit bigger tires are always the best ones. You raised your kids right Rick, although I have a buddy with a 83 yota truggy and he put a stack on it, course he is a diesel mechanic, and I think he did it ironically.

c37ac902-8743-4b2d-84ee-6e32dedef1c9.jpg

Just removed the pass side inner fender. Now to relocate the OBA tank near the same spot but mount vertical. When I make the new inners I may only do the top. I like the idea of having it opened so you can look right into the bed area. It's fun looking at the peoples faces when they look and you can hear them thinking...WTF.
If this was no longer on the street I'd wouldn't even worry about the inner wheel wells.

2aca5e3d-93da-4cc6-b7cb-2261f9daadfd.jpg

Outside of stretched wheelwell done. Including adding the third V brace.

49f9a41e-5b0e-42a4-bf52-0df0a3a40661.jpg

Including the other side lol Now it looks sooo much better with the tire centered.
Could have just put rear axle back to stock location and forget all this work...What, are you kidding.

b677ac5a-19b3-4469-b9ff-54c5c65bba6d.jpg

1bfbc57a-8b7c-48cd-82f3-17d33b1fa063.jpg

Relocated the OBA tank including standing it straight up.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/rookieshooter1/media/GOPR0010.mp4.html

CLICK on the link Need to know a few things like will the 40" tires now stuff into the larger openings. And also I could never climb these ramps on the concrete with any other tires. Even on the grass I had to spike down or else it would just push forward. The ramp is 45 deg.
It's kinda funny to watch cause I could not see the rear ramp and did not know if it was sliding or not. Then I knew I was getting close to the ceiling. When I saw paint starting to come down, something told me to back off. Also the truck started to rock back and forth cause the tires were starting to come off the ground.
Infact you can see the limiting strap (chain) do it's thing.
edb88680-3fe4-44af-b298-642d02d80620.jpg

Success, the tires stuffed just fine. This was while it was still on the ramp.
Just can't wait till later this summer when I'll have all the necessary things like tow truck and trailer to take this wheeling. Just bare with me. It will happen.

c0379460-ba16-4544-aa99-95a5341649f7.jpg

40" tires on a Dana 44 not good lol. Went on a wheeling trip with some guys only about 15 miles from home. When the most God awful noise came from the front axle. First I thought the Aussie exploded. Later found out it was the locking hub.
It's not supposed to look like this when removed lol.

8f918738-e498-4e02-8243-44dc80c74409.jpg

But wait it gets worse. The 8 lug hub is not supposed to have a crack running through it on opposite sides either. Just glad it happened here instead of a 100 miles up at Carlisle in a little over a week.

Knew there was a reason I'll be looking for a front 60.

40" tires on a Dana 44 not good lol. Went on a wheeling trip with some guys only about 15 miles from home. When the most God awful noise came from the front axle. First I thought the Aussie exploded. Later found out it was the locking hub.
It's not supposed to look like this when removed lol.

But wait it gets worse. The 8 lug hub is not supposed to have a crack running through it on opposite sides either. Just glad it happened here instead of a 100 miles up at Carlisle in a little over a week.

Knew there was a reason I'll be looking for a front 60.

Yeah not to say I told you so but I kinda saw that coming lmao. oh well, now you will redouble your efforts to get a d60. Cracking the hub is kind of a surprise though.

Update on the 3/4 ton hub fiasco. After desperately trying to find an 8 lug D44 hub I gave up and ordered one from a place in Utah. I told them I desperately need it by next Wed. She said they had one but they like to paint them and it would take a day to dry...WTF. I,d like to be at the All Ford show next weekend.
At this point I don't care if it's covered in rust, just please send the way it is today,please.
I've ordered from them before and she said no problem.
I also did not like the looks of the spindle so I ordered another one from Jeff Bronco Graveyard. Again I said ASAP, and he said I'll have it by Mon no later then Tue.
Talked to an employee at my local 4x4 shop who is checking out leads on a 60. Tells me his friend has a 350 Super duty axle which sounded good except he told me that it has one of those goofy 8 x metric bolt patterns. No way I said, I've had enough problems with different bolt patterns.

those stupid duty 60's aren't to bad, they are balljoint so not quite as stout as kingpin 60's but they would do the trick for 40's certainly. the metric bolt pattern is lame though.

Ya, I'm only going with the King pin style. There's just something about "ole iron". And then to make it even stronger...priceless. Most likely I'll put anothter ARB like I have in the rear instead of another lunchbox locker like I have in the front now. I've used that rear ARB quite a few times and it has worked great. I think the idea of having an open front when I want it would be cool. Not to mention stronger.

Service Status of Your Item Date & Time Location Features

Priority Mail®
Arrival at Post Office
June 3, 2013, 4:25 am
MARTINSBURG, WV 25401
Expected Delivery By:
June 3, 2013

The Hub is at the PO waiting to be delivered today. Now to call up Jeff's Bronco Grave yard and find out where is the spindle? They said last week it could get here by Mon also.

32e5a957-abdd-4643-b7b6-53a33de94a25.jpg

Just received my Dana 44 hub from Ventures Truck Parts from Utah. Great time from ordering to receiving. Installed rear bearing and seal.
Talked to Jeff's Bronco and he said tomorrow for spindle. Can't wait.

89f24209-5dd3-475c-a78c-2c6a24f6303f.jpg

Received my new Spicer spindle today :D Now to get it back together as in installing the K20 rotor on the hub. Speaking of hubs those 8 lug hubs are hard to come by so I bought an extra that also came today.

67b4cd53-287b-4a17-9e52-128f1507851e.jpg

When I finished putting it all together I went on a little test drive. After about 20 miles I got out and felt the hub, cool as a cucumber.

7fad4c03-9e10-47d2-882e-0b5244eee8c7.jpg

Saved a little $$ by pre-registering for the All Ford Nationals. Just place sticker on windshield and drive right on in and avoid all the lines to register the day of the shows.

6be34861-54c4-4014-8c6c-b46e9e5726f8.jpg

Thought I'd get one of these for this years shows at Carlisle. The sun can be gruesome along with the ever present chance of rain. There's just no shade there either. And it's even worse at the Truck Nationals in Aug.

SAM_0227.jpg

Had a ball at the AFN's. Here's Tim Shaw (black shirt) from Manitoba Canada with a few other forum members.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/rookieshooter1/media/2013 AFN/GOPR0002-3.mp4.html

CLICK ON LINK
I made the 150 mile round trip a few times to the fairgrounds. This is the first one showing how those 40" IROKS handle, I mean sweet, real sweet road manners.
Check out how vibration free the steering wheel is. There is just a slight pull to the right. The right front tire needs the front of the tire turned in about a 1/16 of an inch.

Come on Truck Nationals, Aug,2, 3 &4 Extreme Trail Class

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SAM_0243_zpse6e9fc14.jpg

Brakes started getting a little mushy feeling along with hearing a little whooshy noise, it that's the right word ha ha. So bought a rebuilt brake booster. The one that went bad was the original one that was in my 97 X. Guess I can't complain.

SAM_0245_zps520c07cf.jpg

Getting ready to slide in, talk about tight, had to oil the coilover hoop. Now this year booster is not a direct bolt in, had to re-drill the firewall. This was done a year or two ago.

SAM_0246_zps240dd5cf.jpg

Not much clearance between hoop and canister. It actually rubbed against it going in.

First week in July I'll have a new rim and another IROK for spare, then to make another spare tire holder. This will be on well before the Truck Nationals in the first week of Aug. After that, search for trailer and tow truck. Then the real fun begins. Might even have some longer coilovers on before fall.
Need to get going on the Adventure trailer also.

Back