• Register Today It's free!

Driver's side front squeal

BDShort

Reaction score
City, State
Archdale, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
When I start driving, a squeal on the front drivers side tire starts to initiate around 35 mph. The faster I go, the faster the squeal which I think means it's metal on metal contact.

I changed my brake pads around 10k? miles ago, put on new shocks and sway bar bushings around 2-4k miles ago and haven't had the problem so it's recent.

Went to look at the brake pads and noticed there was a line being dug into my rotor, and the outside pad looked a bit uneven, the top of the pad was being worn more than the bottom.

Could the wear indicator be digging into my rotor? Could my slider pins/hydraulics be going out/sticking? The noise is barely noticeable unless you have the window down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I start driving, a squeal on the front drivers side tire starts to initiate around 35 mph. The faster I go, the faster the squeal which I think means it's metal on metal contact.

I changed my brake pads around 10k? miles ago, put on new shocks and sway bar bushings around 2-4k miles ago and haven't had the problem so it's recent.

Went to look at the brake pads and noticed there was a line being dug into my rotor, and the outside pad looked a bit uneven, the top of the pad was being worn more than the bottom.

Could the wear indicator be digging into my rotor? Could my slider pins/hydraulics be going out/sticking? The noise is barely noticeable unless you have the window down.
Could even be a small rock/stick.

remove and inspect the brake pads on that side. sometimes a piece of road debrie can become trapped between the pad and the rotor. that could account for the grove being cut i your rotor and the noise. i've even seen one pad with a piece of a bolt stuck in it.

also inspect the pads for equal wear. if one pad is worn more than the other, your caliper is sticking. this is usually caused by worn, dirty or unlubricated pins, or a bad caliber.

in the pads are wearing at an angle, you could have a loose or bent caliper mounting bracket.

lastly, you could have a bad hub/wheel bearing. while you have the pads out, check for any slop in the hub or wheel bearing (you didn't indicate whether your truck is 4WD/AWD or RWD).

I went in there to inspect a few days ago, nothing seems to be stuck between the pads. The groove in the rotor is on the outside that you can readily see without taking it off.

When I installed the brake pads I lubricated the slider pins. It might be the caliper mounting bracket because I didn't really pay much attention to it when I went in there.

I drive a 99 SOHC 4wd sport. Didn't notice anything at the hub either but wasn't really looking in the area. Nothing seemed to jump out.

I went in there to inspect a few days ago, nothing seems to be stuck between the pads. The groove in the rotor is on the outside that you can readily see without taking it off.

When I installed the brake pads I lubricated the slider pins. It might be the caliper mounting bracket because I didn't really pay much attention to it when I went in there.

I drive a 99 SOHC 4wd sport. Didn't notice anything at the hub either but wasn't really looking in the area. Nothing seemed to jump out.

if there was nothing stuck in the pad and it wore a grove in the rotor, return the pads and get another set, perhaps they're defective. you can even return a the front pads and upgrade to a better quality set. i won't be worried about the grove in the rotor. it won't really hurt anything.

But I've had the pads for a few months, would they still take a return? I keep all my receipts to the auto store so I know I have it.

I'll get back under there on my day off and see if anythings bent. I just want to prevent any potential danger.

Best advice is disassemble and inspect. Looking from the outside is more of a guessing game.

Anti Squeal, buy some, follow the directions, you should be good, as long as you did what everybody else said... Sometimes pads and rotors just don't like to get along. I use the stuff on every brake job I do, no sense in doing it twice.

But I've had the pads for a few months, would they still take a return? I keep all my receipts to the auto store so I know I have it.

I'll get back under there on my day off and see if anythings bent. I just want to prevent any potential danger.

as long as you have your receipt, any of the major chain stores should allow you to exchange your pads. O'reilly's wants the receipt if you've worn them out, but Autozone will keep giving you free replacements as long as you own the vehicle (even w/out a receipt). what makes me wonder is why you got a grove in your rotor. oh, and yes you should always use anti-squeal. i've never had brake squeal/squeak and i've always used Permatex brand brake-quiet.

When I went under I took tire and caliper off I didn't look at it from the outside.

One question about the anti squeal, do you actually out I on the pad? I've always had this OCD about avoiding any grease-like liquid on the rotors.

On a side note, I was braking today and noticed a significant difference in brake power from earlier. Seems like its been gradually going down

When I went under I took tire and caliper off I didn't look at it from the outside.

One question about the anti squeal, do you actually out I on the pad? I've always had this OCD about avoiding any grease-like liquid on the rotors.

On a side note, I was braking today and noticed a significant difference in brake power from earlier. Seems like its been gradually going down

nnnnoooo! brake-quiet does not go on the friction surface (and its not greasy. it's sticky). you want to put the brake-quite on the back of the pads anywhere they touch the calipers and piston(s). the squeal that you hear is actually the pad vibrating at high frequency. the sticky brake-quite prevents this from happening.

question - did you install new rotors with your new pads? if so, did you clean the cosmoline off of them, with brake cleaner, before installing them?

nnnnoooo! brake-quiet does not go on the friction surface (and its not greasy. it's sticky). you want to put the brake-quite on the back of the pads anywhere they touch the calipers and piston(s). the squeal that you hear is actually the pad vibrating at high frequency. the sticky brake-quite prevents this from happening.

question - did you install new rotors with your new pads? if so, did you clean the cosmoline off of them, with brake cleaner, before installing them?

This is a very common thing people think, if a company sold a grease for your brake pads they would be out of business a long time ago. The stuff does work though, I use the CRC stuff, I have never had a brake squeak ever, unless it is at the wear clip.

I kept my old rotors, I've never read up on brake quiet so that's good to know. Ill pick some up before I tear everything apart.

If I did decide to get new rotors wouldn't the distributor remove it before selling? Won't it just come off naturally after braking anyway?

I kept my old rotors, I've never read up on brake quiet so that's good to know. Ill pick some up before I tear everything apart.

If I did decide to get new rotors wouldn't the distributor remove it before selling? Won't it just come off naturally after braking anyway?

new rotors come in a box the "distributor" doesn't open the box, they'll just hand it to you. the cosmoline is an oily/waxy substance that the manufacturer puts on the cast iron rotor to protect it from rust during shipping/storage. if you don't remove it, with brake cleaner, it will contaminate your brake pads. brake cleaner is the best thing to use, because it leaves no residue.

Define contaminating the pads? How would the protective coating render any damage to the pads? I figured the high heat and friction from braking would take it off. (Of course following the new pads/rotor break-in procedure)

I have put new rotors on my mothers car but I didn't bother taking it off thinking it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Define contaminating the pads? How would the protective coating render any damage to the pads? I figured the high heat and friction from braking would take it off. (Of course following the new pads/rotor break-in procedure)

I have put new rotors on my mothers car but I didn't bother taking it off thinking it wouldn't be such a big deal.

brake pads/shoes work by converting kinetic energy into heat energy via friction. if you embed a substance which is oily/waxy into your pads if can only make your pads work less efficiently and may have the added negative effect of glazing your new rotors.

Alright guys I'm back. Finally got a chance to go in there. Bought a can of brake quiet and sprayed a generous coating, but I never compressed the caliper when I put them back so I kind of slid it through the coating possibly removing some I'm not sure. It quieted the squeak but it was still present, and is now back at its usual pitch.

The mounting bracket is fine, no other noticeable differences. Should I put a heavier coating and replace the caliper without touching the pads? Could my pads be switched and it cause the squeal? Should the wear indicator pin be on the inside or outside? I'm sure I've switched the pads during reinstallation but they were same size so I figured it didn't matter.

Back