19 Holes down the side of my truck, what to do?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

19 Holes down the side of my truck, what to do??

Thanks everyone!

The plugs I have in there now are from my brother, who works as a Service Writer at a Chevy dealership. I did not have to pay for them, they let me raid their fastner boxes. The were the smallest head sized ones I could find, and they are still nearly 3/4" wide, and stick out 1/4"! They are ugly dudes!

Here is what I am going to do:
I found some metal plugs that fit flush at Home Depot.
I am using some of that bathroom grip tape in white so it will match my truck, 2" wide for under the doors, 3" wide and cut to match the flare on the front fender where the old skirts used to be (it will be easy to do since there is a line all the way down both sides where paint is missing at the top of where the old skirts used to be). This way, I can cover the holes, and the scratches left by the old skirts. If it doesn't look good, I'll tear the tape off and just paint match the metal plugs. I think that bathroom grip tape should hold up pretty well, since it was meant to be used under water (as long as I prep the area good enough). If I like the look of the grip tape, I can always go with Matts RHINO LINING (there, I said it, are you happy Matt??) idea later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm What I would do is: Weld the holes up, countersink them, fill with Duraglass, sand smooth, use finishing putty, sand smooth, prime, sand smooth, and repaint.
Well, I guess that's the answer you would expect to hear from a bodyman. :D

Well, yeah, I would love to do that, but....its expensive. While I was at it I could trim a little off the back of my front fenders to get 33's to fit...

dang..

I was thinking Brian shot his truck up (19 bullet holes!).

Good thing it was just the trim.

Originally posted by Tekeman
Unless things have changed, 86 the Explorer Express idea. i had checked with them for the kit when I took my running boards off and they said they were discontinued. Maybe it was just my truck. I splurged for the factory skirts. Just a bit of trimming inside the front wheelwells so my 33's wouldn't catch on them at full lock. MY NERF BARS ARE ORDERED TOO!! Which was the whole reason for swapping stuff around. New pics. to be coming soon!

What was the part number for the side skirts? Just realized I emailed the wrong guy - sorry bout that.

Anyway, was working with the Ford parts guy for an horu to come up with the p/n for the factory black plastic rocker covers w/o flares. Didn't get far.

Zammer

Holes... Holes.... Holes....

I seem to be having that very same issue. I contacted ExplorerExpress about that kit thingy. They said that the manufacturer quit carrying that part. :fire: Damned aftermarket companies not making Explorer parts... (They'd have three years back stock if it was a Jeep part) LOL Anyhow, I also looked into the Ford P/N too. I had the same difficulty. The body shop seems to tell me that such a part is non existant. I seem to think that they made the XL's without a skirt but with some sort of filler. If you find a filler of any kind let me know.

Otherwise it's the weld fill sand resand paint method for me... :D

The filler from the 2000 XLT with factory bars/flares does fit (at least the rear section). Now I'm looking for the front section from the same but without the fender flares.

The company that made the filler panels was Deflectashield. I sent them an email but have not heard back. You might try yourself. I really don't want to resort to a body shop especially after dropping $150 on the parts I have now - my wife would skin me!

Best of luck,

Zammer

Talk to another dealer. Just ask for the factory moldings to be used in place of the running boards.

I had the same issue. I have a white X also. I used aluminum body tape, Auto Zone $2.99. Covering small holes is exactly what it is for. Then I used the Aftermarket version of rhino lining. As long as you don't go all the way up to the door, you can't hardly see it. Also, Explorer Express doesn't sell those skirts anymore.

My molding assembly # IS F77Z7810177AAP AND F77Z7810176AAP $103.37 +TAX EACH. MINE WERE BLACK REMEMBER.

Tekeman, thanks much for the p/n's. Do you have pics? The url in your .sig doesn't go anywhere.

Just to confirm, these are the filler panels that are NOT made for factory fender flares?

Zammer

I know my sig. doesn't work. I'm not paying to post pictures. (are there any free ones avail. again?) These are the moldings the factory used on vehicles w/o running boards. I could e-mail a pic if necessary, but just find a stocker w/o RB's.

Tekeman,

could I trouble you to email a pic or two of those sills? I have a quote from Fordpartsonline of $87.20 each.

I just want to be absolutely certain these are the ones I'm interested in - the earlier parts I bought are not correct as they pretty much require the factory fender flares be installed to work.

My email is zam_karmen@yahoo.com

Thanks much!

ps: just a quick low-rez pic would be great, nothing fancy, and when you get the time.

Zammer

The plugs I have in there now are from my brother, who works as a Service Writer at a Chevy dealership. I did not have to pay for them, they let me raid their fastner boxes. The were the smallest head sized ones I could find, and they are still nearly 3/4" wide, and stick out 1/4"! They are ugly dudes!

Sounds like curb feelers to me... keep you from getting too close to those canyon walls too!!!

:rolleyes: Ignore this post. I pressed the wrong button :rolleyes:

Originally posted by section525
I have the same holes showing, but my X is a dark green, so they're not very noticable.

I was thinking about taking the running boards off, but didn't want the holes. I have the same color Ex, so I was just wondering, are the holes really not that noticeable? What did you do to prep the holes, or did you just leave the holes as is? Sorry to bother you with it, but I'm really curious. Thanks!

I Herculined the rocker's

This thread isn't that out of date and I don't feel like starting a new one.

I read through the first half of this thread to give me the courage to take of my side skirts (the drivers side was damaged) and herculine the rockers. I did it today.

I used the nylon grommet idea and it worked wonderfullly. The grommets sit almost flush with the rocker, you can barely tell that they are there and the herculiner does not stand out too much (I have a dark blue '94 XLT). I think this will also help the rockers last through another 5 Chicago winters if I am lucky.

On a side note, I have the twist up sun roof (you twist a nob and it tilts up). Well, the black paint on the trim that surrounds it had peeled off real bad so half was black and the other a dull silver, well I herculined that too. I also herculined my trailer hitch because it had a bunch of surface rust. I am also, gonna herculine the roof racks because they are starting to peel as well it will also give a little grip to the rack if I put something on it. All this from a little can of herculiner.

I just thought that I would share my experience with you all so that you know that it can be done and looks pretty nice, the pinch weld doesn't draw as much of my attention now that is has been herculined.

At this time, I would like to thank Gerald and his herculined hootus affair for teaching me to use the latex gloves. The herculiner is very sticky and doesn't come off. (Sorry bud, couldn't resist. Those of you that have been here long enough know what I am talking about, if you don't do a search for "Hootus") :D

Let me know if there are any questions, I hope to get pictures up, but it will probably be a while. I will try to take some while I am on vacation.

Dave

Back