Mig Welding & Trucks Computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mig Welding & Trucks Computer

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Today my uncle did some mig welding under my truck and he disconnected the negative from my battery to avoid hurting the computer. Just wondering...will mig welding actually hurt the comp if the negative from the battery isn't disconnected?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that would be a good possibility. if it were me, i'd have removed the computer from the vehicle (easily done) just to be on the safe side.

Im worried now....theres no engine light on and the truck is running fine does that mean the computers ok????

Im worried now....theres no engine light on and the truck is running fine does that mean the computers ok????

I think it's okay if it runs.

I did a search for ECU removal, but only found info on the Sport. Does anyone know of a thread that discusses ECU location and removal for a '97 Explorer XLT?

Thanks

on my 96 the ECU is in the top of the firewall just above the right bank of the engine. There is a single bolt that holds the connector to the ECU.You may have to unhook a couple harness retainers to get enough slack to remove the harness. I would think your 97 is the same.

As long as the ground clamp of the welder is directly attached to what you are welding on, you will be fine. If say you are welding on the frame and your ground is attached to the body then you might have problems. You also want to make sure the path of electricity does not go through any bearings! An example of what not to do would be putting the ground on the frame and welding a new spring perch on the axle.

Do you still need to have the ground clamp on what your welding if the negative of the battery is disconnected?

Yes, it is recommended...like I said, going through bearings is a big no-no (Google electrical pitting in bearings) and even with the battery disconnected weird stuff can still happen if you have stray voltage running somewhere other than the "workpiece."

Im not sure how my uncle did it but if anything was ruined with the cpu would it have shown up right away?

Yes, it would most likely show up right away if you had a problem.

Back