Looking at getting a 2007 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at getting a 2007 Sport Trac

Fierdon

Reaction score
I've been stuck with a 2011 Dodge Nitro 4.0L for a couple years now and have been thinking about getting rid of it for a truck, but I didn't want a large full-size truck. I came across a 2007 Sport Trac 4.0L 2WD with the towing package for about $16k at a local dealer.

Here comes the question: I've noticed that the V8s are near impossible to find and I can probably get a good deal at the dealership because my girlfriend's step-father is a sales manager there. Is the 4.0 just pointless to get? My girlfriend currently has a 2003 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer with the same 4.0L Engine, and though it feels a lot less powerful than my Nitro, it still doesn't feel too underpowered. I would really love to have the V8, but from what I've read there is basically one V8 for every one hundred V6s.

Just hoping to get some input. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Price seems high for a 2wd. I paid that before tax for a 4x4 last spring. How many Miles on it? What is the location as prices can change by 10% depending on region? Is it early of late 07, there were quite a few changes. Not sure if there is an equivilant in the US, but we have VMR up here, and it can give us an idea of what ballpark value would be.

As you can see from my posts, I have been running into quite a few problems lately, pretty much the common ones. Odds are you will see them too.

Tech you have the worst luck EVER!! :(

I'd say wait and find a V8. You don't want to be saying "shoulda had a V8" down the road. GL

That's what I think at times, but the chances of finding one aren't too great and I won't too far away for a vehicle as it is too much of a hassle. I'm gonna ask my girlfriend's Step-dad to see if he can find a V8. I just find it may be hard to pass up the old V6 if I get a good price. It has low mileage for its year and looks to be in great shape too.

You can always add a blower to the 4.0 :). I'd be more concerned about it being 2wd if you live in an area that gets snow/ice.

i got my 07 limited 4x4 v-8 with all the options with 60,000 on the clock for around 18,000
here in michigan the v-8s are not that hard to find. id say 3 out of 5 are v-8s. so id say hold out for an 8 if you can we pull a 20 travel trailer with it and the gas mileage isnt the much worse than the 6

Towing isn't probably something I would do, and if I would it wouldn't be much.

I may try to find a V8, just down here there are way more 4.0s. One advantage would be having the same motor as my girlfriend's Explorer.

I may try to find a V8, just down here there are way more 4.0s. One advantage would be having the same motor as my girlfriend's Explorer.
Yup.
Drive the truck with a V6 when your girlfriend has a V8.

Yup.
Drive the truck with a V6 when your girlfriend has a V8.

No, hers has the V6. Which would be an advantage of getting another V6 since they would both have the same engine.

Which is the more reliable motor with the most available parts? I can do most maintenance on my own (aside from internals). As much as I'd love a V8, if the 4.0 is more reliable and more readily available when it comes to parts (and performance parts) then I wouldn't mind sacrificing power for it.

Both of those engines seem decently reliable. Both have been in Mustangs so have good parts support. Both can be upgraded for more power.

It's your money, buy what YOU want :)

I have always been a fan of Ford V8s, nothing compares to a Ford V8 motor and a nice exhaust. Though having two vehicles with the same motor would be nice.

Overall, I'd love an Adrenalin, but it is out of my price range for now. Hopefully 5-6 years down the road or less I'll be able to find one still or find something similar.

Just throwing in my experience - wait for the V8 - as machine above said...
I got my 2007 4.0 2 wheel drive with 67,000mi for a little over $16,000
Most STs down here in southern Alabama are the 4.0, but it is not uncommon to find a V8 so I REALLY wish I would have held out and saved up to find a V8 but I was in a bind and needed something and was planning on purchasing a truck one day anyway.
It's great that you know someone in the business because down here anyway, the V8 STs are overpriced in my opinion.

Also I've had some problems within the first year of my 07 - possibly because it the the first year of that style - biggest was the trans. lines coming unplugged, hole in radiator caused overheating which caused some bigger problems - luckily I purchased an outside warranty that saved me big bucks.... just FYI

Good luck...let us know what you land on.

Back