Converting from auto on column to auto on floor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting from auto on column to auto on floor?

robber6910

Reaction score
City, State
New Rochelle NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited V6
Was wondering if anyone has ventured into converting their explorer from an automatic on the column to automatic on the floor? I've got a 2003 Explorer XLT V6 4X4 (4wd auto, 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low) with overdrive. In light of the recent issues with the tranny locking up while parked on an incline, I wanted to get some opinions here and see what is the best way to go. I was thinking of using a console and shifter from an '06 explorer. I know that the floor would have to be cut up to accommodate the shifter. Would I need to change out the tranny as well? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would not have to change the transmission, just ALL of the linkage and fabricate up a way to cover up the original parts. They never came with a floor shifter, so you will have to source random parts to make it happen. If you are having issues, though, this is not the solution.

You would not have to change the transmission, just ALL of the linkage and fabricate up a way to cover up the original parts. They never came with a floor shifter, so you will have to source random parts to make it happen. If you are having issues, though, this is not the solution.

Well actually some 3rd gen XLS's had a 5 speed manual transmission the 2002 and 2003's arnt that much different if you could find a donner explorer with a manual then you could (PROBABLY) just swap everything over

DSCN2865.jpg

What good is a manual transmission explorer going to be. He needs all the automatic trans linkage. Let alone finding a manual trans 3rd gen, they only made them for 1 year and they were all junk base models.

The early 4th gen explorers with the V6 shared the same 5 speed trans as the 3rd gen vehicles. So I would look for a V6 4th gen explorer. Most of the parts should fit in pretty well since Ford didn't change the body that much. It makes it easier if the vehicle had a floor shifter option but I'm sure its possible.

I have personally looked into doing a console shifter swap for my 2002 Taurus but I just didn't want to do the work, and that's on a vehicle that offered a console shifter. So I just yanked the bench seat and put in the console, using the shifter hole as an extra storage area.

I would've thought that since the body style didn't change drastically between 2003 and 2006, it'd be pretty straight forward to transplant the center console shifter from a 2006 into a 2003. Granted the linkage, wiring and fabrication would have to be done, would the brain need to be changed out as well?

Hmm - if it's a problem with the tranny locking when parked on an incline, maybe the solution is to make sure the parking brake is working and then use that all the time. It's why it's installed on every vehicle anyway, right? Plus it's just cables and mechanisms and a LOT less work than hunting a floor console from a manual (or cutting a hole in the original) then cutting a hole in the steel floor, finding a floor-mount shifter and MLPS and linkage from a 2006-2010, and somehow making that all work. Working parking brake = $300 give or take and 3 hours for a shop or skilled shadetree. Convert to 4th gen. floor shift = who knows how much and how long. Plus, the transmission will still be locked on an incline, so you'll still be damaging the park pawl.

Cool conversion, if you want to do it, but if it's really for the locking problem, use the parking brake.

Previous owner killed parking brake due to same issue. Found out after the fact. Wife also has a hard time with auto on the column. Thought it'd be a simple conversion without a lot of headache.

here in Australia we have the 2002-2005 ford explorers with the "floor shifters" we use the 5r55w-s transmissions i could take some pictures of the underneath of my explorer so you can get the idea of what it looks like, here's my stock shiftier on my 2002 ford explorer xlt.
903_zps5fd793cd.jpg

in Australia we have the right hand drive versions

I'm not sure how changing the shifter location will solve any problems with the transmission. Are you thinking that you would be able to apply more force on the floor shifter to release the parking pawl?

There's most likely not a problem with the transmission. If you park any vehicle on an incline without using the parking brake (say in the northern winters where drum brakes will freeze up... for sake of reality) then it will be harder to shift out of park. You might be able to pull a little harder on a floor shifter but it won't do anything to solve the actual issue. I do think it would be a neat mod if you were able to swap in a 4th gen shifter though.

Back