Jack points | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack points

What spot did you use... I can't find one to save me.

Thanks!

I honestly don't remember..I just looked for some black metal in the center that was part of the frame

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I honestly don't remember..I just looked for some black metal in the center that was part of the frame

Front subframe, just behind the air-dam. Worked great for me. Right in the middle up front. I put my jack stands at either end and sat the Ex down. Lifted the back by the dif. Only problem was removing the ducting on the passenger side with the jack stand in place. I like to rotate my tires at oil change intervals, hence dropping the duct work. I'm surprised, at 7500 miles the tires are wearing very evenly...

Thanks! I forgot that the front subframe was there.... I'll have to try that.

What about placing the jack stands farther back out of the way of the duct.... Ie where the subframe bolts to the body? Haven't tried it yet, but might be an option...

Ok I searched the forum. I found one post that talks about where to jack up the explorer, using a floor jack. It seems from that post the recommendation is the pinch weld on each side (under the doors), the sub-frame in the front, and the diff in the rear. Are these the only points that are safe to use a floor jack? I want to be able to rotate my tires. So, I need to be able to jack the vehicle up and put floor stands. I find this hard ( and worrisome) to do using the pinch weld on the side of the vehicle. I hear a lot of creaking when I do this. If the best spots are the sub frame and rear diff, can someone post a pic of the places that they put the floor jack and jack stands?

thanks.

Ok I searched the forum. I found one post that talks about where to jack up the explorer, using a floor jack. It seems from that post the recommendation is the pinch weld on each side (under the doors), the sub-frame in the front, and the diff in the rear. Are these the only points that are safe to use a floor jack? I want to be able to rotate my tires. So, I need to be able to jack the vehicle up and put floor stands. I find this hard ( and worrisome) to do using the pinch weld on the side of the vehicle. I hear a lot of creaking when I do this. If the best spots are the sub frame and rear diff, can someone post a pic of the places that they put the floor jack and jack stands?

thanks.
I used those jack points several times when I changed the tires on my 2011. Never has a problem.

Peter

So, funny story.

Just bought my 2015 Explorer XLT last month. Was reading about jack point cause im a DIY'er with all my cars.

Saw the front subframe point and thought it would be a good spot, Ill use the pinchs for the jackstands.

The previous owner of my car must have gotten a flat in the rear and tried to jack the car from the spare tire well. We thought it was weird how the spare tire kinda popped up a bit in the trunk.

Needless to say, it wasnt something that a rubber mallet and some metal working skills couldnt fix, but funny nonetheless. Dealer offered to fix at no charge, told them no worries.

I jack up the front where the springs meet the control arm thingy. Then I place the jack stands under the front jack points and lower. Then I drag my floor jack to the rear use the same piece of really tough looking metal that the receiver hitch is installed on and again slide the jack stands underneath the rear jack points and lower.

Just (finally) put my winter wheels/tires on. I used the subframe for the front, then did the back one side at a time because I couldn't find a safe looking spot to lift up the whole back at once. Now I'm sorta ready to be buried in snow so I can be the only one driving over 25 mph on the highway...

So I tried jackin the ride up to finally paint the calipers. Used the point the manual said that is marked with 2 arrows. Was almost there when all the sudden the car dropped. Removed the jack. Opened the rear door & all the side molding had been pulled away. Got all back in accept 2 within the wheel well. WTF happened ??

20170225_142837.jpg

20170225_142910.jpg

20170225_142931.jpg

As far as I can tell, all is good. Almost pissed myself when it dropped. Gonna wait till I have a floor jack this time. My low pro one can't get the tires off the ground

I never trust the jacks that come with the vehicles.. cheapest possible but within limits. Jacked mine yesterday using the same jack points but with a floor jack and no issues doing my oil change.

When I did my calipers I jacked up under control arms with a floor jack and then placed my jack stands under the 'suggested jack points.' Same process in the rear. Takes a bit longer this way (one side at a time), but ultimately it proved to at least 'feel' safer. I tried using the suggested jack points and then sliding the jack stand under there, too, but that seemed pretty sketchy and I gave up on that pretty quick.

Agree with @blwnsmoke, though. I haven't even looked at the jack provided. Those things are usually borderline junk and make the process take that much longer.

The diameter my jack's saddle is wider than the lift point and resorted to using a puck in between, which fits right in between.

Hey guys,

Just wanna make sure I can use this point to jack the car up. Thanks

20170305_103049.jpg

20170305_103106.jpg

Hey guys,

Just wanna make sure I can use this point to jack the car up. Thanks

That's fine. That's a really strong piece to deal with the Spring. Mechanic told me to use that point every time.

I am at work ATM so I can't post a pic but what about the front area ?? Don't really see an obvious spot to lift from.

I am at work ATM so I can't post a pic but what about the front area ?? Don't really see an obvious spot to lift from.
I use that point also when doing tire swaps.
It's going to get scrached up, but putting a piece of a 2x4 there to protect the finish didn't give me the warm and fuzy.

I have been having trouble finding the best way to jack all four wheels off of the ground on 18 Explorer. Any suggestions would be great.

Also, once the vehicle is lifted, do I place jack stands directly between the arrows inside of the cut out? Or do I turn jack stand sideways so the pinch weld sits on the middle of the stand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Silly question, but what are some of you guys/gals doing that you need all 4 wheels of the ground at the same time on such new vehicles?

Is it just to rotate tires? If so, all you really need are two jacks - lift one side, rotate tires FR to RR, then move to other side and repeat. If you want to rotate in a criss cross pattern, just use the temp spare - it means an extra few minutes to add it to the mix, but it should end up being a wash for the time it is going to take to set the car up and drop it from stands.

Back