engine dies when idling, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine dies when idling, need advice

posmindset

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Explorer 4.6L 4x4
i have a 2002 explorer eddir bauer and when it's sitting idling correctly for a few seconds sometimes it will choke out and stall

the rpm gauge shows the shows a sudden drop...sometimes it will recovery right away and continue to idle correctly...other times the engine will die.

this seems to cycle and happen about every 10-15 seconds

what could be causing this?

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey posmindset! I had a similar issue with mine. I found that the issue would only occur if my A/C was on. I ended up putting some fuel injector cleaner in and the issue cleared up shortly after. This happened to me last summer and this summer.

Hey posmindset! I had a similar issue with mine. I found that the issue would only occur if my A/C was on. I ended up putting some fuel injector cleaner in and the issue cleared up shortly after. This happened to me last summer and this summer.

thanks for the reply, seems to be a different issue as this happens even when the a/c isn't on.

I've ran several bottles of seafoam and fuel system cleaner thru with no help

you might have a misfire or a vacuum leak, do you have a check engine light?

no check engine light

i had a diagnostic run and it didn't return any codes.

after doing some research, my memory was refreshed, I have cleaned the IAC valve a little more than a year ago because of a similar problem ....i wonder if it's acting up again?

Disconnect the harness to the IAC when the engine is running. If the idle changes, its the IAC. Take it off and squirt the inside with throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner until it runs clear, then spray the intake side (with the engine off, and let it evaporate before starting).

If that doesn't work (and it does nearly 99% of the time), you need a new IAC.

I had the same problem, run down to the part store and get some air intake cleaner and clean out your IAC and perhaps your throttle plate. Worked for me, also, you may want to check your battery terminals for corrosion, I was having some funny rpm starting problems today, noticed the pile of corrosion on my negative battery terminal, soaked the connections in baking soda for a minute, cleaned them with a cloth and put them back onto the battery. Worked perfectly, car starts oddly smoother now.

Disconnect the harness to the IAC when the engine is running. If the idle changes, its the IAC. Take it off and squirt the inside with throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner until it runs clear, then spray the intake side (with the engine off, and let it evaporate before starting).

If that doesn't work (and it does nearly 99% of the time), you need a new IAC.

I believe that's backwards. If you disconnect the IAC harness and the idle drops then the IAC is functioning correctly. If you disconnect it and nothing changes then it is bad.

I believe that's backwards. If you disconnect the IAC harness and the idle drops then the IAC is functioning correctly. If you disconnect it and nothing changes then it is bad.

Thats exactly what I thought I meant I said. And its the thought that counts, right?

i went to autozone and bought a replacement IAC valve and when i went to replace it, i noticed that the rubber hose (1 inch diameter) connected to it was not on completely....it wasn't pushed on all the way flush to the stopping point.

I think that's the vacuum hose, right?

That hose does seem to require medium effort to pull off, i wonder if that could be the problem. It might be shimmying it's way off over time with regular road bumps and wear.

Is there a way to clamp that hose on without affecting the IAC valve?

maybe i won't have to replace it

My engine doesn't have any hoses connected to the IAC. Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxlt9KkK_s5IVWRyTDk0T2hWSE0/edit?usp=sharing

edit

here is a link to the picture of the situation and the hose

I replaced that line on mine with a piece of 3/4" heater hose and used a couple worm clamps to hold it on.

i replaced the IAC valve and the gasket and that has not solved the problem.

the engine doesn't seem to die but it still chokes close to dieing about every 40 seconds or so

what else could cause this?

The small filter box between the intake tube and IAC may be clogged. Also be sure to disconnect your battery for 10-15 mins to allow your computer to re-learn it's idle. Might not be a bad idea to get some MAF cleaner and give it a spray or two.

bad and or clogged fuel injector(s) or vacuum leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back