Anyone tinted their sun roof / moonroof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tinted their sun roof / moonroof?

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
Hey all,

I am thinking of tinting the rear windows and back window with 50% also considering the sun roof. Yep i know i am defeating the name "sun" but I find it lets a lot of light in with its current tint and it certainly does let alot of heat in. was thinking of doing a 50% tint on that too, what are your thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the panoramic sunroof on the Audi we just traded in... we did the same thing... but primarily because the audi only had a perforated cover that would block the sun...

we used heper optik's ceramic film since it's primarily clear and just stopped the heat...

not sure we'll do anything on the ExSport since it has a much better cover (and we rarely park it outside anyway :) )

good luck with it... and ya know you haveto post some before and after pics..

if it were mine, I would have tinted it 15% over the factory tint, just like the back windows that we tinted 15% over the stock tint. But it's my wife's and she didn't want to tint the moon roof. I hate it when the sun is beating on me, even through the factory tint. I always close the shade, and I rarely ever drive with the glass open lol. Guess it depends if you're a person who likes to hang out in the shade, or likes to sit out and bake in the sun.

Just a word of warning.
I asked about this at my tint shop and they said they no longer tint sunroofs because they had too many people come back with cracked windows in the heat.
They said on many vehicles, the glass type is different and can't take the direct and reflected heat.

Don't shoot the messenger, I don't know how true this is.

we heard that too on the audi forums....
but never had an issue in 3 years on ours - BUT YRMV :)

Our '92 has a tinted sunroof (small than the current gen, but still a sunroof) The shop would only tint up to 20% becuase in the extreme heat out here sunroofs can pop (so they say).

So far, ours at 20% hasn't and that is even when its 110F outside or well over 170F inside the truck..

~Mark

Just a word of warning.
I asked about this at my tint shop and they said they no longer tint sunroofs because they had too many people come back with cracked windows in the heat.
They said on many vehicles, the glass type is different and can't take the direct and reflected heat.

Don't shoot the messenger, I don't know how true this is.

Hmmm, I am in NYC, but great point to bring up. I didnt think of it until now. I'll have to ask the shop. Just when you think you have the perfect solution...LOL.

I really appreciate the heads up.

if it were mine, I would have tinted it 15% over the factory tint, just like the back windows that we tinted 15% over the stock tint. But it's my wife's and she didn't want to tint the moon roof. I hate it when the sun is beating on me, even through the factory tint. I always close the shade, and I rarely ever drive with the glass open lol. Guess it depends if you're a person who likes to hang out in the shade, or likes to sit out and bake in the sun.

This is why I ordered my sport just to not have a sun roof. I've never liked them and never use them. I feel like all i'm doing is closing the shade or sweating because of all the sun. Our Audi has one because you pretty much can't get it without...but the shade never opens.

I would say tinting it is a great idea and probably what I would do if i had one in my Explorer.

This is why I ordered my sport just to not have a sun roof. I've never liked them and never use them. I feel like all i'm doing is closing the shade or sweating because of all the sun. Our Audi has one because you pretty much can't get it without...but the shade never opens.

I would say tinting it is a great idea and probably what I would do if i had one in my Explorer.

Yeah especially as a $1600 or $1800 option or whatever the astronomical price they charge for it is lol. I didn't get a moon roof on my Raptor because it was over $1k and I figured I never had one, I won't miss what I've never had, and got nav instead. The wife insisted on the moon roof, and the only one around had it anyway, so it was a done deal, but now actually having a moon roof for the first time, I have zero regrets on saving the $1k on my raptor by not getting it lol.

Our '92 has a tinted sunroof (small than the current gen, but still a sunroof) The shop would only tint up to 20% becuase in the extreme heat out here sunroofs can pop (so they say).

So far, ours at 20% hasn't and that is even when its 110F outside or well over 170F inside the truck..

~Mark

I knew there was a reason I clicked on this thread. After driving 3 hours yesterday under the blazing sun I need a solution to mine. The shade is long gone. Glad to hear that tinting is ok for it.

I knew there was a reason I clicked on this thread. After driving 3 hours yesterday under the blazing sun I need a solution to mine. The shade is long gone. Glad to hear that tinting is ok for it.

You can get away with a much lighter ceramic tint vs regular black since they reflect a lot more heat!

Yeah especially as a $1600 or $1800 option or whatever the astronomical price they charge for it is lol. I didn't get a moon roof on my Raptor because it was over $1k and I figured I never had one, I won't miss what I've never had, and got nav instead. The wife insisted on the moon roof, and the only one around had it anyway, so it was a done deal, but now actually having a moon roof for the first time, I have zero regrets on saving the $1k on my raptor by not getting it lol.

I thought the same thing, ~1500 for a sun roof that I don't even want, no thanks! Decided that i'd drop that, add adaptive cruise and a tow package for just a little bit more and be happier.

I'm glad Ford allows us to add the roof a la carte and not bundle it in the the 402a package thus forcing us to get it. Audi and VW don't give you the choice and it's a lot of $$$'s for things you don't want.

I too, am not much on driving with he sun blazing on my head...............

unless Iam on a motorcycle.

BUT.......a sunroof is nice when you hop in a hot car/truck during the summer months, and can open the roof to let out the heat.
Then ofcourse close it and let the a/c eat:D

It sure is nice in my 02 X, the main reason I wanted my new wheels to have the open roof :)

Why I ordered mine too, didn't want it and all the Sports available at dealerships had it. It was bundled when I bought my Jetta, only been able to live with it since it has a heavy sliding cover. The Explorer has a much thinner cloth type cover, that won't last long here in Arizona. I've also noticed more noise with my Jetta cover open than closed, so I suspect the sun roof will allow noise to enter the cabin also. With dual panes on the Explorer, that is a lot of window facing up, too much for me.

Resurrecting an old thread.

I did the windshield tint and it was awesome. I did it with the 90% 3M Crystalline heat rejecting shield

Link here http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline_Automotive_Films/

I am still thinking of tinting the moon/sun roof a little darker and looking for more opinions. It just bugs me that it lets so much light in, i'd prefer a little less. Has anyone had theirs tinted?

Thanks for the reference to that 3M film.

I had the windshield of my Mark VII tinted 2-3 years ago, with a similar light tint, about 85% as I recall. I like it and plan to every windshield of my cars, to protect the dash.

I did the sunroof of my first Lincoln too, both at around 50%. I had my Mountaineer sunroof done in 2004, also with about 50%(matches the back factory tint).

I would like to consider that ceramic tint for the sunroof, or whatever would stop the most heat and UV rays.

FYI, factory tint does not block UV rays, the whole interior is unprotected. I plan to tint all of the glass, going over the OEM tint with the same almost clear as the windshield. Then match that color on the front windows with a different tint, 35% maybe.

Just a heads up for Florida folks.

The front windshield can not be tinted at all even with 90% VLT. I am talking the whole windshield-not the strip that covers the top 10% of the windshield. Sure you will find shops who will be more than happy to apply it. They will take zero responsibility if you get a ticket/fix it ticket to have it removed before a certain period of time. Even the 90% is noticeable and any police officer who is in the mood to bust you can easily do it.

Just a friendly heads up. I have checked into this myself and would love to have the heat reduced in all of my vehicles here in Florida. Even the custom fitted sun shields I have on my rides are no match for Mr Sun.

Good luck!

Buzz

It's a MOONROOF.;)

As for tinting the windshield, as far as I know that is illegal anywhere if you tint below the mark that is on the windshield. Any tint applied to glass will also reduce outward visibility, especially at night.

Peter

Just a heads up for Florida folks.

The front windshield can not be tinted at all even with 90% VLT. I am talking the whole windshield-not the strip that covers the top 10% of the windshield. Sure you will find shops who will be more than happy to apply it. They will take zero responsibility if you get a ticket/fix it ticket to have it removed before a certain period of time. Even the 90% is noticeable and any police officer who is in the mood to bust you can easily do it.

Just a friendly heads up. I have checked into this myself and would love to have the heat reduced in all of my vehicles here in Florida. Even the custom fitted sun shields I have on my rides are no match for Mr Sun.

Good luck!

Buzz

It's a MOONROOF.;)

As for tinting the windshield, as far as I know that is illegal anywhere if you tint below the mark that is on the windshield. Any tint applied to glass will also reduce outward visibility, especially at night.

Peter

It is illegal here too,... and you cannot tell that it's tinted unless you look very very close, and are trying to find something wrong.

I noticed it just a little right after having it done. Now I can't tell the difference between my two daily driven cars, not during the day, or at night.

It is not clearly obvious to anyone not expecting to find it. No one knows that my windshield is tinted unless I tell them and make them walk up to it and find the seam along the edge. It is that clear.

This is my car not long after I had the tint done, just a small picture I use for an Avatar on the Lincoln forums.

Attachments

• Signature-3.jpg
    Signature-3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 471

Isn't the windshield already solar tinted glass from the factory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't the windshield already solar tinted glass from the factory?

Maybe newer models, nothing I've owned though.

BTW, clear un-tinted automotive glass is not clear. It may be called clear or look clear, but actually only about 90% of light passes through it.

So clear glass stops about 10% of light. The lightest tint is around 85-90%, so it doesn't block much more light than un-tinted glass.

Back