Fuel pump gone bad?

Napu(StrongWave)

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Marrero,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac Gen 1
2001 sport trac v6 4.0L sohc 2wd. reman engine,new fuel injectors and fuel filter (3000 miles).
Just last weekend i almost got stranded on the Huey P. Long bridge crossing the Mississippi river. Just about 3/4 the way up the bridge when the truck started to sputter and almost die. i tried to press on the gas but it just kept sputturing. Fortunatly i had enough momentum to get over the bridge. When i reached the stop light at the foot of the bridge the truck started to run fine without a problem.
So i have been driving it everyday(1week) with no problem, until today. I went to the post office and as i went inside i left the truck running idle, but when i got back in the truck.. with the truck still at an idle..it started sputtering and then died.
The engine is turning over so i checked the inertia switch..cycled the ignition back and forth few seconds at a time, nothing. Checked the fuses in the dash and the fuse to the fuel pump (20a) was broken when i pulled it out. I replaced it with a 15a cause it was the biggest i had on hand and tried..still nothing. I tried to see if i was getting fuel pressure at the valve and it spit out just a little spit of gas then nothing. No engine light warnings of such either.
So can anyone tell me if it's one of these parts that i havent already changed..is it the
fuel pump,
fuel pressure regulator, or
inertia switch??
Is there something else that i havent checked or i need to inspect?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When mine did this, the Inertia switch actually was part way unplugged... don't let the same thing happen to you.

When mine did this, the Inertia switch actually was part way unplugged... don't let the same thing happen to you.

a loose connection at the inertia switch wouldn't have blown the 20a fuse. for that to have happened there would have to be a short, or enough resistance at the fuel pump, to melt the fuse. as the OP doesn't say, i'm assuming the 15a replacement fuse didn't immediately blow (and the truck also did not run) the problem may be the fuel pump. I would begin by replacing the fuse with the correct amp fuse, and then start checking for power on the wiring, working your way from/to the fuel pump. if the pump is getting power (and ground) and not running... it's the pump.

you can also try thumping the fuel tank (just below the pump) and see if it starts running. if it does, this also indicates a bad pump.

a loose connection at the inertia switch wouldn't have blown the 20a fuse. for that to have happened there would have to be a short, or enough resistance at the fuel pump, to melt the fuse. as the OP doesn't say, i'm assuming the 15a replacement fuse didn't immediately blow (and the truck also did not run) the problem may be the fuel pump. I would begin by replacing the fuse with the correct amp fuse, and then start checking for power on the wiring, working your way from/to the fuel pump. if the pump is getting power (and ground) and not running... it's the pump.

you can also try thumping the fuel tank (just below the pump) and see if it starts running. if it does, this also indicates a bad pump.

:banghead: This is why I shouldn't post at 6am, sorry OP, That was my pronlem, but in your case it is different, do what koda says, and report back.

Ok, the 20a fuse broke easily when i was checking to see if it was blown. I tried to see if it was the inertia, i unplugged it then plugged it back together..still nothing. Now it could be the wiring to the inertia further back,maybe. I didnt get that far tonight. I had to ride my bike home from work before it got dark.
While i did check the vaccum lines that were accessable and i tried to trace down the fuel lines, and the connections. While i was under there i had to see if i had a two line or one line pump assembly..looks like its just one line. Further investigating i did come accross the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood. I pulled it out to investigate and there are signs of light corrosion on the bottom of the relay. I cleaned it with a brass wire brush and attempted to test it with a volt meter. I couldnt get the meter to read, now it could be the battery in the meter was so so, but to be honest im not an electrician. Im gonna try to get a relay tomorrow and see what happens.

I tried to listen for the fuel pump while a friend turned on the key..nothing, no noise, no vibration.. dead. We also checked to see if it was the relay. The key on, the relay clicks everytime the key is in the on position(relay good). I started to drop the tank and replace the entire fuel pump and assembly since everything is out of the truck. Partstrain.com looks to be the best deal.

I changed the pump on my '00 mountaineer last winter. wasn't hard to do. I got an Airtex pump and sock, on Amazon for around $85 (best price w/free shipping). it's been working perfectly ever since. from inside the truck (if it's quite enough) you sound hear the pump prime for just a second or so when to first turn the key to the ON position. it should do this no matter how many times to turn it from OFF to ON. I also suggest swapping the fuel pump relay with another one from the distribution box, and checking the socket and blades for any corrosion.

Mine was doing this, new fuel pump sending unit and gas tank from another older explorer(with a little rewiring) it runs a hell of a lot better has the power it should now, starts right up like it should, and I got a lot of gas in the tank and my gas gauge now works!

let us know how that works out mine is still ST is still working but i think is gonna end up with the same problem as you.

On my '97 explorer I thought the fuel pump was dead, wouldn't start... took the pump out and tested it, and the pump fired right up... put it back in and it is still working fine. My guess is that the connecting plug got corroded to the point of not allowing the proper current through. On another not I've heard bad things about airtex pumps.. It's my understanding that you won't find a better pump these days other than the stock pumps.

Good morning from Italy.

I want to add my 2 cents to this discussion, for what it worths.

A few weeks ago, my 95 (4.0 OhV) Explorer started having a bad behaviour when i tried to accelerate, just like a lack of power for 1 second, and then full power for 2-3 seconds, then again 1 second of lack or power and so on.
In parking, idle seemed like engine was breathing, and e RPM also went down for a moment and again up, stead, and then again down for a moment.

As I have LPG on my explorer, I didn't care, until my girlfriend called me and said that the engine won't start at all.
We tried several times, but no luck.

Mechanic dismounted the fuel pump after checking fuses and other electrical things, and said the pump was "almost dead". Actually, he hit the pump a few times, connected it to a battery and it started again.

Now, waiting for a brand new pump coming from the USA, he put the old damaged pump on the Ex and it's working. I don't know how much it will work, because the lack of power is even more evident under acceleration, and during the idle in P too.

I have a couple of questions, first one is that I bought the pump only, not the whole kit... I think it's not necessary to spend all those money (about $250) on a car that has MILLION of other problems (if someone remembers my posts, I bought this car 3 years ago and have used it for about 1 year, even less... problems at transmissions, oil and water leaks the most impotants...)
Anyway, I'm going to change the fuel filter too :D

the second question, when they towed it, they turned the wheels completely and it started leaking... I filled the power steering reservoir ad it seems that there is no leak now, do you think it's possible that the pump was damaged?

Now... I'm betting on the miles I can drive before the fuel pump dies again :D

Sorry for my poor English, regards from sunny Italy.

if the fuel pump works after hitting it, it's definitely bad. you should be fine just replacing the pump and fuel filter, but don't forget the sock filter on the pump. as far as the power steering, it's possible that turning the front wheels by hand may have caused fluid to be pushed out of the reservoir's cap. if you refilled it and it's not leaking now i'd just keep an eye on the fluid level. I'm surprised you didn't end up with air in the system, which causes shaking in the steering until it's worked out.

until you get the new fuel pump installed, it's a crap-shoot as to whether you'll get stranded again. odds are you will. keep a rubber mallet in the truck and you can try to get it going again by hitting the rear bottom of the fuel tank (with the key ON). there's a small tear-drop indentation in the bottom of the fuel tank just under where the pump is. hit it there.

I'm surprised you didn't end up with air in the system, which causes shaking in the steering until it's worked out.

Thanks for your answer. Also, you said the right thing about air in the system, I noticed that heavy shaking when I took the car from the garage yesterday.

About the pump, I'll follow your advice, and I really hope I won't have to crawl under the car to hit the tank and start the pump again. It should just last 5-6 days.... the time to receive the new pump.

A note, my 95 explorer (Ltd), has a pump that is different from other models... it's not the white compact assembly I can find putting the vin code or the year/model on any fuel pump website, but it has a cylinder pump from 1989 ford taurus... that's what they told me... maybe I misunderstood.

The part number is f57u-9350-a1a and it's no longer avaiable... I found an aftermarket and hope it fits, "onlyfuelpumps" said it will.... the only difference il that the original was 95LPH, the one I found is 90LPH.

Thanks for your answer. Also, you said the right thing about air in the system, I noticed that heavy shaking when I took the car from the garage yesterday.

About the pump, I'll follow your advice, and I really hope I won't have to crawl under the car to hit the tank and start the pump again. It should just last 5-6 days.... the time to receive the new pump.

A note, my 95 explorer (Ltd), has a pump that is different from other models... it's not the white compact assembly I can find putting the vin code or the year/model on any fuel pump website, but it has a cylinder pump from 1989 ford taurus... that's what they told me... maybe I misunderstood.

The part number is f57u-9350-a1a and it's no longer avaiable... I found an aftermarket and hope it fits, "onlyfuelpumps" said it will.... the only difference il that the original was 95LPH, the one I found is 90LPH.

RockAuto lists many pumps that are specified for your truck. they start at around $22 U.S. I hope whatever you bought works out for you.

I just put in BOSCH German made pump, $65 USD shipped, comes with the sock.

Well, me and lefty have had fun trying to run down a similer problem! This is what all I have done, it is all cheep-free and one of these solutions may help. Bypass thatinrtia switch by just cutting and butt connecting the wires. Theres only two, pink- green on my 2000. Change or swap out the fuel pump relay. change or swap out the pcm relay, that feeds power to the fuel pump relay. Next, try recalibrating the fuel system. Unplug the neg. battery cable and turn on the light switch for four mins. then hook it back up. I hope some of this will help. There was a pump problem noted by ford but your 2001 should be out of that. Read our posts at FALLING ON ITS FASE TURNING LEFT on this forem. Lefty started it, GOOD LUCK! P.S. Forgot to add, clean the female contacts with good cleaner in the relay box. crud bilds up in there over time.

I swapped out the old fuel pump assembly for a entirely new one ,since i was going to have the tank out of the truck already just made sense to me and while it was out i decided to clean up the tank and spray paint with black epoxy paint. Plugged everything back up,and tightened the 3 bolts that hold it in place. I also changed the fuel filter as well.. Turned the ignition on and off about three or four times to prime system and then fired the engine up. First try the engine fired right up. Pretty easy. It took me two hours to remove tank because this was my first.

IMG_20130612_181520_zps359965be.jpg
IMG_20130612_182654_zpsfb4b8573.jpg
IMG_20130620_150614_zps8634b06c.jpg

Back