Wheel Spacers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

It's an 01 Sport Trac but I can post up pics later today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that more rotating mass cannot be helpful to bearings, so does larger heavier wheels.

Though I have not weighed the two, I have to believe that 20" wheel and tires weigh more than the old traditional 15" wheel and tires we had for years.

What about these LARGE rotors that manufacturers put on cars. isn't that adding the same mass you are referring to? Do they shorten bearing life?

What is the bolt pattern and size of the 2013 Sport?
When engineers design the vehicle they take all this into account.
What you plan to do could affect the warranty on certain parts should they fail.
I would think it is the same wheel that is used on the Limited seeing that the tire size 255/50R20 is the same. As fr bolt pattern, I found this doing an Internet search; Bolt pattern: 5x114.3 (5x4.5). Offset: 35 to 45 mm.

Peter

Here ya go. Its way different than the sport would look like but I just snapped some real quick after class.

00EB-4ABB-AA84-13C6BC1A1717-41847-000027AD950E6F91.jpg

D7B1-43AC-B519-2797666DAEC5-41847-000027ADA20CB601.jpg

Look around for a guy named Ronin or Triton. Both of their usernames have numbers but not sure what they are. They both have/had 3rd gens and ronin has a 4th gen now. One or both of them had spacers if I recall correctly. Spacers do a lot for the stance of the ex and I think they'd look good on the new sports. Lots of people run wheel spacers for years without problems, you just cant beat the crap out of it.

Thinking about getting 15mm or so to the wheels flush and a little more aggressive looking. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 right?

I have heard a lot of horror stories with spacers. I would not run then on any of my vehicles.

I agree about the look though and would like to move the tires flush but not willing to lose a wheel because of it. I really like my sport rims and don't want to sell them to get the correct offset. Oh well, I may go up a tire size when I replace them but will deal with the look for now.

I run spacers on my passat right bow with no issues. The stories you have heard, did they have the proper bolt length for the spacer thickness?

I had spacers on my Mercedes SLK55 to get some caliper clearance on the front wheels and it caused a really bad vibration. They were high quality hub centric spacers also. I will never use them again! My suggestion although more pricy is if you don't like the way the wheels sit in the fenders either purchase new wheels with the right offset or learn to live with it the way it is. Lol.

Spacers on!!

Here they are. 15mm front, 25mm rear.

IMG_4712-1.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

image-1.jpg

Looking good Bstollmaier.

They look good! But most important, how is the ride with them, any noticeable differences, shakes, or wobbles?

Thanks. Just rode around the neighborhood and it was smooth as silk. After work tomorrow I'll take the wheels off and re-torque the spacer nuts.

Thanks. Just rode around the neighborhood and it was smooth as silk. After work tomorrow I'll take the wheels off and re-torque the spacer nuts.

And... If its not too much to ask would live to see that vid of the truck rolling :)

As well did you decide if you're going to keep the running boards on?

Yeah, the vid haha. The problem is I have to find a moment when the kids are occupied and my wife isn't so she can hold the camera. I'll try by the end of the weekend :)

It looks unbelievable. Gongrats!!
How did you come up with the thiknes of the spacers? Did you had to trim the original studs?
How is the ride on the highway?
Tx

that looks alot better with the spacers!!!!

Thanks guys,
The ride on the highway was perfect. Couldn't tell they were there. I did notice in the turns it doesn't roll as much. That was very evident. Guess it makes sense with the rear 2 inches wider and the front over an inch. The original studs do stick past the spacers but my wheels have a deep pocket between lug holes specifically for that purpose. I think all aftermarket wheels do. I believe the factory wheels do also but not as big. To measure I held a plumbob to the center of the fender and let it hang, that way I had a perfect vertical line from the center point on the outside of the fender. Then I measured from the edge of the wheel to the inside of the string using calipers. Obviously you could use any measuring device but I figured calipers would be the most accurate and I had them on hand. If your setup has the tires sticking past the wheel then you might want to measure to the tire instead of the wheel. My wheel and tire are at the same depth.

Looks great! This may have sold me on the idea once I get my aftermarket wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tx for the info
My aftermarket wheels don't have the pockets behind , so I guess I will have to trim the studs .Do you think that if I trim the studs will affect the original 20"wheels
When I put them on for the winter?
Tx

Back