How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

wow that looks bright

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So with the LED projector lamps in the front console, the cabin is lit up like daytime. Following pic is with no flash, taken at night.

Hi Raider, Could you take a shot from outside the car at night while the dome lights are on? Are there a huge difference with brightness compared to the 9smd bulbs you had before?

Hi Raider, Could you take a shot from outside the car at night while the dome lights are on? Are there a huge difference with brightness compared to the 9smd bulbs you had before?

I'll try to get a pic this weekend. But yes there's a big difference.

OK, I took a short video. I don't have the 9SMD bulbs in, this is with the projectors.
This is past dusk, but not pitch black out. Looking in the Ex with 30% tint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNifXTnA_Ic

It looks like the projector bulb is not as blueish?

It looks like the projector bulb is not as blueish?
There's a blueish hue at the dome assembly, but doesn't seem to be in the projected light? Or it washes to white pretty well.

Could you specify LED specs??

I decided to have some fun with my Explorer. I replaced all of the main interior lights with RED LEDs. My daughter was always wanting to read in the back seat and the light was annoying, so now she can use them with red. :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, the information was spot on. I actually ended up soldering on the red LED in the rear cargo lamp.

So I decided to do the interior led swap and I only did the map and 2nd row lights. The third row light looks like a pain to replace so I decided not to do it. But now it looks like the 3rd row light doesn't want to turn off at all. Noticed it today when driving home. Has anyone else run into this issue. I tired pushing the button turning all the lights off for the car and turning them back on but that light just doesn't seem to want to turn off. Even when the car has been off for like 5 min.

Edit it does turn off after the car being off for like 7 min or so. But stays on while driving.

SmokingGhost - check back 3 or 4 pages in this thread, there is a solution which involves adding a 1k ohm resistor across the LED lights. I got lucky, when I replaced mine I didn't have that issue.

SmokingGhost - check back 3 or 4 pages in this thread, there is a solution which involves adding a 1k ohm resistor across the LED lights. I got lucky, when I replaced mine I didn't have that issue.

Awesome thanks. I happened to read up to page 5. Then decided to post. I ended up just disconnecting light.

Awesome thanks. I happened to read up to page 5. Then decided to post. I ended up just disconnecting light.

Dropping in the resistor is the easiest fix in the world, no soldering or anything needed, just push it in the hole where bulb goes before you insert the bulb...

Replacing interior 2nd & 3rd Row bulbs to Led (without Sunroof)

Hello Explorers

Anyone share how to remove and replace interior 2nd & 3rd Row bulbs to Led (without Sunroof) on a 2014 explorer XLT ( 2011 , 2012 /2013 should all be same)

I changed the rear license plate ones and the front map lights with LEDT10 , thanks to the help of some previous postings on this forum, but not found anything on the rest.

I am also looking to change the outside puddle ones two.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Read through the stickied thread in the Modified Forum on interior LED swap.

Tried that which was useful but my lights are in the center as there is no sunroof, so lights/housing is different.

Cheers

Hello Explorers

Anyone share how to remove and replace interior 2nd & 3rd Row bulbs to Led (without Sunroof) on a 2014 explorer XLT ( 2011 , 2012 /2013 should all be same)

I changed the rear license plate ones and the front map lights with LEDT10 , thanks to the help of some previous postings on this forum, but not found anything on the rest.

I am also looking to change the outside puddle ones two.

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Welcome to the Forum RS2000BRIT.:wavey:

I have moved your thread to this 'Modified' forum and merged with an existing thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326988&highlight=interior+lights so you may get some help with your project. Also, before beginning a new thread, it is suggested that you use the Forum's 'Search' function to see if a similar post/thread exists.
There is a bit of a 'learning curve' involved in using this forum for the best results.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried that which was useful but my lights are in the center as there is no sunroof, so lights/housing is different.

Cheers

Your second and third rows are the same as my third row. Your only solution that people have found is to scrape off the led in those modules and solder in another brighter LED. I have done this already on mine. Check the threads starting around page 7 or 8 for detailed information.

Back