Wheel Spacers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

Tx for the info
My aftermarket wheels don't have the pockets behind , so I guess I will have to trim the studs .Do you think that if I trim the studs will affect the original 20"wheels
When I put them on for the winter?
Tx

You could cut the studs and leave the spacers on when switching back to the factory wheels. No reason to take them back off. Not sure if cutting studs changes the molecular structure (heat treating). When I had my spacers made I told them to do 63.4mm on the outside of the spacer in addition to the inside. That way I just use a hub ring for the aftermarket wheels and I can switch back to the factory wheels if need be. You could also have the wheels machined to have pockets or really they just need holes. Then you wouldn't have to cut the studs which would be a plus if you decide to sell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want pics of the SV1000

IMHO, hands down the best Explorer out there, that includes all the SEMA ones too. Great job. Alos, were you able to get the camber issue taken care of? If so, how did you go about it?

Hahaha.... I'll post some sv1000 pics when I get a minute.
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the camber is fixed. The hole in the top arm where it connects to the nuckle is elongated so I just loosened the upper bolt a little and pulled the nuckle towards me, then tightened. Obviously required a realignment.
The sema pic of the grey looking one on the beach was actually my inspiration.
On another topic, note to self....write the code down for the wheel lock key so when you loose it you don't spend the entire evening going to every shop to get no help and then finally track down the manufacturer and have them send you one of every key. Yup, I'm a dumbass.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

Where do you drive to need those HUGE mud flaps? All lowered, and pumped up, they do not fit the picture.
Take some pics with wheels off. I would use VHT black and paint the spacers so you don't even see them.
Got a link for the spacers?

Thanks. Just rode around the neighborhood and it was smooth as silk. After work tomorrow I'll take the wheels off and re-torque the spacer nuts.

Yeah, I've considered removing the flaps.
Here's the website.
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/
The front are 15mm, rear are 25mm.
The bolt spacing is 114.3mm, hub is 63.4mm.
I paid $285 shipped.
The staff seems knowledgeable and willing to help in any way. They make spacers/adapters in most any size in 1mm increments. I so want to put these on now but sleep then work prevail

Thanks again for your input . Maybe I'll drill some holes at the back of the wheel( great idea)
On another note I like the mud flaps on( I would not take them off)
On my truck I painted everything behind the wheels so you should do the spacers in my opinion to.I also painted the exhausts at the rear of the truck all the way to the split. Mine were a bit rusty(not the Crome tips)
Keep it up
Your truck is awesome

Here's a pic of the spacer on the truck.

IMG_0192.jpg

I then painted them black. Yeah, it's on the rotors but doesn't matter. It's already worn off after a drive.

IMG_0194.jpg

And here's a shot of the recessed area on the backside of the wheel to allow the factory lugs to fit.

IMG_0193.jpg

Cheat, still gotta get a good pic of the SV, then I'll post it.
Awmenard, I haven't forgotten the vid. I was going to do it this evening but there are cars parked along the street (usually there are not) plus kids playing in the street. Just wasn't good timing. Perhaps one evening this week.

Thanks for not forgeting me, no rush whenever you get a chance is alright .

Trust me I know how it is whit the kids, it took me everything to get the time to Plastidip my grill this weekend.

Roof racks will be done during the week :)

Did you torque the spacers one more time ?
After how many miles did you do it and was any of them loose? Is it 100 lbs the recommended torque?!
Tx for your help

You're supposed to torque them after 25 miles but I was about 80 based on work distance etc. When I did they were perfect, they had not loosened.
Yes, 100ft/lbs.

Tx again
I am just about to order the spacers from Lenny
I need the same as you 15 and 25 mm
Did you use loctite or a clip on the studs?
Can't wait to see the video of your truck

Awesome! Is Lenny at Motorsport tech?
No, I didn't use loctite or clips. I figure a nut by itself is plenty as that's all that holds the wheels to the studs is a standard setup.

Yes that Lenny!
You are a perfectionist, so if you are happy with their work that is good enough for me
Can't wait to have them on

I measured a Sport at a dealership and it looked like the front to take a 25mm also.

I ordered 4 x 25mm spacers for mine.

Doesn't matter at this point as my 2014 has even been scheduled yet and its been almost 7 weeks.

Very nice! By the way, I couldn't tell from the pic if those wheels are 20's or 22's? Thanks!

Thanks. They're 22"

Are you only using 4 lugnuts on each wheel? That is what it looks like in a couple of the photos.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't that how it's done? I thought the fifth was optional.
Haha, JK. The fifth is a locking nut that is sunk in. I'm actually replacing those with Gorilla. I've been waiting for someone to ask.

Back