Driver needs rest message

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
Hi all,

A few days ago i was driving my EX and got a message on the left side panel stating that "driver should rest" or something close to that. I had just gotten in about 15 mins before after doing grocery (didnt buy any alcohol:)). Was at about 2:00pm and i was driving at a decent pace on hwy - probably at 65mph like everyone else at the time.

Has anyone seen this? What triggers this message?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

A few days ago i was driving my EX and got a message on the left side panel stating that "driver should rest" or something close to that. I had just gotten in about 15 mins before after doing grocery (didnt buy any alcohol:)). Was at about 2:00pm and i was driving at a decent pace on hwy - probably at 65mph like everyone else at the time.

Thanks

This would be triggered by lazy swerving or constantly hitting the edges of your lane. In other words you're driving like you're falling asleep :)

Do you have Lane Assist? I think once it activates multiple times it begins to
alert the driver.

Ahh! yes i do have lane assist. Didnt connect the two. I was really puzzled as to how in the world my car thought i was tired. Weird!

Oh well - live and learn, soon it will pull over and tell me go to sleep..LOL

Hi all,

Thanks

Pages 267 and 268 of the 4th edition of the manual explain it a little more:
2013 Ford Explorer Owner's Manual (4th Printing)

Thanks very much all, i appreciate the help.

jeeze - glad I don't have lane assist then - as much as I bob and weave - sync would probably send out an arrest warrant with :

"Driver is Drunk" message :)

Ahh! yes i do have lane assist. Didnt connect the two. I was really puzzled as to how in the world my car thought i was tired. Weird!...
I see the answer has already been tracked down, roamingphantom. Maybe you should do less “roaming” around in the lane? ;) LOL JK

This would be triggered by lazy swerving or constantly hitting the edges of your lane...
Do you have Lane Assist? I think once it activates multiple times it begins to alert the driver.
You guys are on top of your game (thanks for helping)! :D

Pages 267 and 268 of the 4th edition of the manual explain it a little more:...
BTW, here’s the correct link to download a free copy of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Cory

My wife thinks that's what the bumps between the lane are for. L O L

As I recall, there's a little horizontal "bar graph" along the top edge of the left display screen when the "lane assist" is enabled. If the graph goes all the way to the right you'll get the "needs rest" tone and message, (along with the coffee cup icon). Sometimes when I am out on a deserted road with good lane markings I will let the Limited drift to either the left or right and "she" will steer back to the middle of the lane. At the same time "she" will "ping", get pissed off, and say "put your hands back on the wheel" on the display screen. In MHO, the $$$ for the 302A package is worth every penny and sooner or later we'll be seeing posts about these high tech features saving some folks butts. Another great feature is the "BLIS" system with the curving assist lines that appear on the back up camera screen, (not to mention the adaptive cruise control). Gotta thank the Ford "geeks" for this stuf !!!

It is interesting that this feature seems to always be on, whether or not you have enabled lane keeping

Back