TSB Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TSB Question

ExploreThis2012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
On the TSB sticky here on the forum there is a listing that says:

11-11-7 PULL/DRIFT RIGHT ON ACCELERATION - 3.5L ENGINE AND FRONT WHEEL DRIVE (FWD) ONLY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 10/20/2011

I have search the net and cannot find any details.

Does anyone have a source to see what this TSB is about.

Upon hard acceleration my Explorer wants to drift. You really have to pay attention to the steering when passing or running through a yellow light (something I would never do):eek:

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.05 and higher or 76.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reprogram the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) module.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

... but isn't this just a case of "normal" front wheel drive torque steer and why higher hp vehicles have to go to 4wd or rear wheel drive?

... but isn't this just a case of "normal" front wheel drive torque steer and why higher hp vehicles have to go to 4wd or rear wheel drive?

Thanks for the quick response and details.

Yes, it could just be an inherent part of the design. Back in the 90's I had a Cadillac STS with 300hp and I do not remember that much torque steer, although it did have it, as any FWD vehicle.

I just wanted to see if there was some sort of enhancement. It sounds like this TSB would just "dumb down" the acceleration, I'll pass

Funny thing about the adaptive trans shift points. I would actually prefer firmer shifts instead of the car computer creating "slush" shifting.

Anyone had this re-programing done? I have pronounced pull to the right and then spring back to the left when passing the vehicle in front of me.
What does this TSB accomplish? Is this just a de-tuning?

Anyone had this re-programing done? I have pronounced pull to the right and then spring back to the left when passing the vehicle in front of me.
I don't know what the TSB does exactly but a year or so ago there was a member who swore that the trailer sway control made his easier to keep straight.
Unfortunately I can't recall if he turned it ON or OFF. I think it was ON. I tried it on mine and didn't notice any difference in steering. Just thought I'd mention it. Apparently it doesn't need the tow package to work.

Peter

I'll see if my base model has that. Don't remember seeing that before.

If you have it, you have to turn trailer tow off each time you start the vehicle. It's on auto unless you elect to turn it off.........

Hi toms2012.

Your dealer is the best source of info about the specifics of a TSB. You should be able to get a clear explanation of what will be done when you schedule a service appointment. Let me know if you need anything! :)

Ashley

Back