• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer should I buy

Zieg95x

Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Just drove a 2002 eb with 138k. They said out the door at 4 grand. It has 2 problems that could be deal breakers for me. First is the steering wheel shakes when pulling in a parking space. Second is the rear ac fan motor isn't working. There are no lights for the whole rear ac system. What do you think?

http://www.championmazdahanover.com/used-inventory/1FMZU74E92UA03464

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would want the steering addressed....02's are known for some problems and electrical is one of them....I being an Explorer fan, would not buy an 02, would have to be an 04-05 for a third gen.

Check the build date. Early 2002 Models (pre March 2002) are known for way more problems. Late build 2002s (After March 2002) suffer from less of those early new model issues.

The rear A/C could just be tired, I mean the car is 11 years old and has 130k+ miles on it. It could just be a bad blower motor or the motor resistor, but usually then the fan only works on high.

Check that steering issue out for sure, gen 3s seem to have funny steering noises and feel funny.
Check the rear struts/springs, if they haven't been replaced yet, they are probably broken or will break soon.
Listen for bad wheel bearings.
Listen for chain rattle at cold start. Drive it cold and listen between 2000-2500 rpm for rattle coming from the passenger side of the truck. Chances are it will have some rattle.

There was a rattle but it sounded like it was on the back end. What would need replaced on it? I have a 95 xlt with 298k so I know more of the 2nd gen stuff. I have been looking more at 4th gen exp but there are not many around my area at a good price

Wheel bearings need to be checked, those could be bad and may need replacement as gen 3's eat wheel bearings. Axles should be checked as well.

Check the suspension like I said, you can make the call on if it needs work.

Pretty much anything on a vehicle with 140k miles may need to be replaced. Especially a 2002 explorer.

If you can afford it I would go for a gen 4 truck, they are a lot nicer. Like said before, even a 2004 or 2005 truck will have less issues.

Back