Willcall's 2001 XLT V8 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Willcall's 2001 XLT V8 AWD

Seeing as I've owned this car for two weeks now I guess I should make a registry for it. Went to Pollard Friendly Ford in Lubbock, TX with the intentions of putting a down payment on a 2007 Ex V6 4X4. I was literally heading into the office to sign on it when I spotted this green gem sitting to the side. It had just been traded not more then twenty minutes ago for a '12 Edge. Took it for a test drive (the sales lady trying to point out how much better the 4th Gen was :D) and I was sold on it. Now she sits at my house.

Specs as purchased:
2001 Ford Explorer XLT- Second Owner
5.0L V8- Stock... For the moment
4R70W with full time All Wheel Drive
3.73 Open... Now 3.55 Open
Only thing it didn't seem to have is the backup sensors, sunroof, and 16" rims.

Additions:
Dark grey interior with light grey roof and matte black door grab handles.
Rear Fog lamps from a UK spec X
Sport Trac cluster
Sport Trac heated leather front and rear seats, Dark grey/ Light grey inserts
Pioneer AVIC X940BT
16" Factory Wheel Package
02-05 Steering Wheel with Media Controls

Fixes:
Red Aurora Ignition Wires with new Motocraft plugs
Transmission- Replaced front clutch, servos, and shift accumulators.
4 New KYB Gas-a-Just shocks
Two new Timken front bearings
Steering stabilizers
Liftgate- Replace lock actuator and broken handle
Ranger airbag.
Gas gauge
Overhead temp gauge
Replaced leaking front and rear axles with 3.55s
New DieHard Platinum 1000CCA Battery
New front ball joints and CV joints

Future Fixes:
Consistent missfire on Cylinder #7
Exhaust leak from warped or cracked header

Future additions:
Taurus Fan with a much stouter controller.
16" 5 spoke rims (similar to 18" rims found on 99-03 F150 FX4s) from the newer model Rangers.
LED turn signals, brake, parking, rear fogs, side makers, and day time runners.
Back-up camera
Clear headlights/ corners and tailights that have the yellow lens as clear.
New ranger headlight/cluster bezel.
4406 Case
Newer Explorer/FX4 badges.
A new 5.0 badge, not like the Mustangs but the one that is on our intakes.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice lookin ride! Liking the V8 alot more than the V6?

nice x

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Nice truck, looks almost just like mine :D

Euro-Spec!

Wow meangreen my truck does look kinda like yours lol

Well the transmission rebuild is still going, but going well. But in the meantime... I got some parts... from the UK!

I really like the look of the Euro-spec Xs so I bought a few things... front/rear plate brackets, rear foglamps/reflectors, and side markers.

This is Phase I of my plan!

IMG_0484.jpg

Thanks to member chrisquelch for supplying me with the parts!

I will post pics of the Euro conversion as soon as I get it done!
-Will

Looking forward to seeing a conversion!

Okay looong overdue update. I have only installed the rear europlate adapter as other things have asked for more attention:

Installed 4 new KYB Gas-A-Justs: They work great! the suspension no longer bottoms out
New front sway bar stabilizers: One had completely sheared off!
New front wheel bearings: Made the car much quieter and now it will actually coast.
Painted the liftgate mustache looking thing green. Came out pretty good.
A new Sport cluster: Gas gauge went out on the old cluster. Now my car 70,600 miles on it :D

Currently I have pulled the entire interior out to do a full Joe Dirt cleaning, soundproof/rattleproof with GTMat, install a hybrid a dark gray/light gray interior. I also have some dual power/heated front and rear leather seats from a 2003 Sport Trac that I am installing. and Wendy's JVC AVX740 and Kicker sub in that too. :help::banghead::banghead:
Hopefully be done with this on Friday.

Afterwards I post a review of the GTMat, which is from a company out of Austin, TX. I'm also going to write a how-to on the install of the Sport Trac seats because the front seats mount the same, but the back seats use a much different method of locking in the up position.

I'll probably update this sometime next week.... WITH PICTURES!
-Will

Excellent... :D :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My 1000 mile trip report.

So this last weekend, I drove home (Lubbock, TX to Corpus Christi, TX), making this the first extended drive I have done with the car. Put just over 1000 miles on it during the course of the weekend and here is what happened:

The car ran AWESOME! I can actually pass people without having to floor the gas pedal and it never ever dropped a gear to maintain a cruise speeds of 70, 75, or 80 through the Hill Country (I just love Texas speed limits)

I would like to report that the Sport Trac seats are super comfortable and that the GTMat reduced the amount of noise in the car superbly. I haven't done the doors yet, so it may become quieter.

It averaged 21 MPG! Much better then my old Ex or the 4.6L Expedition I have! One I did notice:

MY EX DOES NOT LIKE SHELL GASOLINE!

I think it has something to do with the ethanol content, but I filled up with it twice (both at two different stations on the way down) and got around 17 mpg. On the way up, I used Valero and Chevron on the way up and once again got a little more than 400 miles to a tank with a little left in.

Pics to come tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Great looking truck,

i need to find the missing horses too

Sport Trac seats and Interior Pics

Here are some interior pics I took this evening... I'll take some more tomorrow:

Sport Cluster and you can kinda see my awesome 3rd Gen Explorer 6 CD Phase II radio.

IMG_0637.jpg

The Sport Trac seats. (The console was vigorously cleaned I swear! It needs a touch up and replace the lid)
IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

I think the built-in middle seat belt on the Sport Trac seats just looks awesome

Also, a sneak peek...
IMG_0636.jpg

Got one side got this evening.

Ahhh I'm so jealous of the sport trac seats!! I've been on the lookout for a set of those two tone ones for a while now but I haven't found any, junk yard by me sucks anyway.

That looks awesome! Need to put the center console cubby from the sport tracs in there. They have the one big pocket area rather than the 2 small semi useless ones.

Since my last post, I got the rear fog lights installed and functioning. I also installed new Aurora ignition wires and new spark plugs. Its quite amazing how well my car will start and idle compared to how it used to. I'll post pictures of the spark plug wires tomorrow.

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

So its been more than six months since my last post and much has happened!

I added a 3rd Gen steering wheel with Cruise and Media Controls. Media controls work great, but the cruise is intermittent. Narrowed it down to a bad clockspring.

Changed my axles to 3.55s. I couldn't find 3.73s, so I ended using 3.55s. Noticed a slight improvement in mileage on the highway.

Spring Break was really fun with her

Also...

image.jpg

Meet Black Betty.
My new 2010 XLT. Its a V6 4x4 with third row and rear air. Black interior. I've had her a little more than a month and I really like her. I'm still keeping the 01 though because its faster, it has more towing, and it honestly handles a little better (according to my buttmeter). And this new one should give some more time "modernizing" my 01!

-Will

My new Jetta

IMG_1390%255B1%255D.JPG
IMG_1393%255B1%255D.JPG

This is Heidi, my new '13 Jetta TDI. I traded the 2010 for her and I think I have found a much more suitable companion vehicle to my '01. Great mileage, great looks, while also surprisingly comfortable and well equipped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seeing as I've owned this car for two weeks now I guess I should make a registry for it. Went to Pollard Friendly Ford in Lubbock, TX with the intentions of putting a down payment on a 2007 Ex V6 4X4. I was literally heading into the office to sign on it when I spotted this green gem sitting to the side. It had just been traded not more then twenty minutes ago for a '12 Edge. Took it for a test drive (the sales lady trying to point out how much better the 4th Gen was :D) and I was sold on it. Now she sits at my house.

Specs as purchased:
2001 Ford Explorer XLT- Second Owner
5.0L V8- Stock... For the moment
4R70W with full time All Wheel Drive
3.73 Open... Now 3.55 Open
Only thing it didn't seem to have is the backup sensors, sunroof, and 16" rims.

Additions:
Dark grey interior with light grey roof and matte black door grab handles.
Rear Fog lamps from a UK spec X
Sport Trac cluster
Sport Trac heated leather front and rear seats, Dark grey/ Light grey inserts
Pioneer AVIC X940BT
02-05 Steering Wheel with Media Controls

Fixes:
Red Aurora Ignition Wires with new Motocraft plugs
Transmission- Replaced front clutch, servos, and shift accumulators.
4 New KYB Gas-a-Just shocks
Two new Timken front bearings
Steering stabilizers
Liftgate- Replace lock actuator and broken handle
Ranger airbag.
Gas gauge
Overhead temp gauge
Replaced leaking front and rear axles with 3.55s
New DieHard Platinum 1000CCA Battery
New front ball joints and CV joints

Future Fixes:
Consistent missfire on Cylinder #7
Exhaust leak from warped or cracked header

Future additions:
Taurus Fan with a much stouter controller.
16" 5 spoke rims (similar to 18" rims found on 99-03 F150 FX4s) from the newer model Rangers.
LED turn signals, brake, parking, rear fogs, side makers, and day time runners.
Back-up camera
Clear headlights/ corners and tailights that have the yellow lens as clear.
New ranger headlight/cluster bezel.
4406 Case
Newer Explorer/FX4 badges.
A new 5.0 badge, not like the Mustangs but the one that is on our intakes.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg
Looks great!!
Now, with of the "Fixes", assuming you bought it "As Is" from dealer?

Back