Tearing apart the dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tearing apart the dash

Trixter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys,

I picked up my 2007 Explorer XLT Limited from the good dealership down the road, and I love it! I noted at the dealership that the speedometers primary unit of measure is in miles per hour not kilometres per hour. (km/h are there, just in small little numbers below the much larger mph numbers). This is not really an issue except I live in Canada where we use km/h for speeds. No disrespect intended to our southerly neighbours intended but it is kinda strange to look at.

I suppose my question is this. How involved is it to get into the dash to change the gauge out? Is it just a new piece of paper or plastic that goes on there? Or does the whole gauge need to be replaced?

Thanks guys!

William Johnson

Humm, I've never tore into the dash. I can tell you that to remove the stereo you have to take out a good portion of the console. So, you might have a lot of work ahead of you.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Lower the tilt steering column to the lowest position.
3. Remove the instrument cluster finish panel
(1.) Remove the steering column opening cover screws, 2 each.
(2.) Remove the steering column opening cover. (That's the panel below the steering wheel)
(3.) Remove the 2 steering column cover screws, 3 each.
(4.) Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
(5.) Remove the instrument cluster finish panel screws, 2 each.
(6.) Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.
4. Remove the 4 screws and the instrument cluster
5. Disconnect the electrical connector.

You are better off just buying a whole instrument cluster. Here is a cluster that is for an 08, but should still work. But make sure you contact the seller for compatibility verification. http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-EXPLORER-SPEEDOMETER-INSTRUMENT-PANEL-CLUSTER-KPH-/230387185086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a42575be&vxp=mtr

Just keep in mind that if you change the cluster it MUST be reprogrammed by a dealer. Since the cluster contains the PATS module the truck will not start without reprogramming.

Back