• Register Today It's free!

After Accident - A/C Not Working

lexrid

Reaction score
City, State
Holly Springs, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
So, my wife got into an accident with the Ex this morning. She's fine, baby wasn't with her, that's good news. She ended up the middle car, so someone hit her and pushed her into another car. Both front and rear bumpers will require replacement, cosmetic, no big deal. She just called me and said that the A/C isn't working. Anyone else have a similar issue after a fender bender? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, my wife got into an accident with the Ex this morning. She's fine, baby wasn't with her, that's good news. She ended up the middle car, so someone hit her and pushed her into another car. Both front and rear bumpers will require replacement, cosmetic, no big deal. She just called me and said that the A/C isn't working. Anyone else have a similar issue after a fender bender? Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear about the wife's accident. Not much you can when you get 'sandwiched' like that. I don't recall reading any other similar posts but I'm sure someone will reply if they encountered the same issue.
Is just the A/C that isn't functioning? How about the heater? Is the motor for the climate control working?

Peter

Thanks for the response Peter. I haven't seen anything similar on the forums but thought I'd ask specifically.

All good questions, I don't have answers. After the accident, she was late to work so I haven't gotten to speak with her for longer than a few minutes. My plan is to dig a little deeper this evening when I can see the car. Hopefully the insurance companies will get things sorted out pretty quickly. It's been to hot and humid around here to enjoy driving around without A/C, especially with the baby in the car.

Thanks for the response Peter. I haven't seen anything similar on the forums but thought I'd ask specifically.

All good questions, I don't have answers. After the accident, she was late to work so I haven't gotten to speak with her for longer than a few minutes. My plan is to dig a little deeper this evening when I can see the car. Hopefully the insurance companies will get things sorted out pretty quickly. It's been to hot and humid around here to enjoy driving around without A/C, especially with the baby in the car.
I just hope the engine cooling fans weren't damaged. From the sounds of it, the hit wasn't hard enough to damage them.
Good luck.

Peter

Took the car in for the insurance company to do an estimate, it appears that there is an A/C condenser line just behind the bumper on the passenger side. Looks like one of the bumper mounts/brackets broke off and either pinched the line or punctured it. Hard to tell since the bracket is still pressed right against the line and can only be seen through a crack in the black portion of the bumper. Did also notice that the cooling fans didn't appear to be running at all, but not sure whether they will run without the A/C compressor starting or not. I've got the car today, so I've been watching the temp gauge very closely.

Also ended up with more damage in the rear than initially thought. The bumper lifted so much when she got hit that it actually folded in the bottom of the liftgate a little bit.

All-in-all, the preliminary estimate is about $3,000. We'll see if they find more things as they take it apart whenever that happens. Still have to wait for the insurance companies to determine who's actually going to pay.

Took the car in for the insurance company to do an estimate, it appears that there is an A/C condenser line just behind the bumper on the passenger side. Looks like one of the bumper mounts/brackets broke off and either pinched the line or punctured it. Hard to tell since the bracket is still pressed right against the line and can only be seen through a crack in the black portion of the bumper. Did also notice that the cooling fans didn't appear to be running at all, but not sure whether they will run without the A/C compressor starting or not. I've got the car today, so I've been watching the temp gauge very closely.

Also ended up with more damage in the rear than initially thought. The bumper lifted so much when she got hit that it actually folded in the bottom of the liftgate a little bit.

All-in-all, the preliminary estimate is about $3,000. We'll see if they find more things as they take it apart whenever that happens. Still have to wait for the insurance companies to determine who's actually going to pay.
Not too surprised that there is actually more damage than is visible.
As for the cooling fans, they operate independently of the A/C. They should come on from time to time depending upon the engine coolant temperature.
Just keep in mind that, from what I've read here, the temp gauge will likely not slowly creep up but will go to HOT very quickly. Doesn't seem to act like a thermometer does.

Peter

Back